Views on gender roles

Rollagt

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Lala81 said:

i also scared of cockroach but LL lor have to kill it. Can't let it roam around. Unlike lizard can close one eye ... but still need to clean up its poop stains.

seriously I dont think you are alone, many men are actually scare of cockroach too, but like you boh pian have to do the job. 

I also won't go catch it, just spray bygone/combat and collect the dead body later. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, Tianmo said:

mai kong my daughters, I have seen big grown up men running away from cockroach, men not boys hor. 

anyway, my elder girl will take bygone and spray when she see a cockroach, but lizards and spiders I told them to leave them alone, just action action chase away can liao. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ya lo, i don't know why many people when see cockroach, they scream and run away. Boys and girls, men and women. Esp many guys scare of cockroach. Why ah? 😅

Hypersonic
(edited)

Why need to know how to cook or wire a plug?

Just order and they will bring the food to your front door.

Which appliance don't have plugs?

:D

UK appliance didn't have plug. It was so silly a cost saving thing.

Then Japan appliance came to UK all with plugs and people bought them.

Now as far as I know no appliance is sold in UK without a plug.

And they wonder why British manufacturing collapsed.

Edited by Jamesc

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, Sosaria said:

That's what my wifey always say, when I tell her she's lucky to marry engineer, simple electrical and plumbing jobs in the house can be DIY. She says got money, just pay someone to take care of it - though I point out that while contractor gets the job done quickly, the quality is poor. 

actually I dont know if an engineer is really needed to do such basic household maintenance, maybe I shld tell my OC she is damn lucky that she married a non engineer who can do engineer work at home. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, Sosaria said:

That's what my wifey always say, when I tell her she's lucky to marry engineer, simple electrical and plumbing jobs in the house can be DIY. She says got money, just pay someone to take care of it - though I point out that while contractor gets the job done quickly, the quality is poor. 

This attitude cannot live in Australia/NZ/USA/UK. Handy man and blue collar services cost as much as see a doctor. Someone can mow the lawn for you or fix a tap. But pay them professional fees and not Bangladeshi unskilled worker rates that we pay here. If cannot change own tyre in these countries, good luck to you. The car can be tens of kilos from nearest town.  If call AA, the man will take hours to reach and by then, in total darkness. Do we want to wait in darkness, in the cold, and risk getting robbed? 

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

A lot of these skills are interest and/or taught by parents. The family influence is strong on a growing child.

I don't cook well but can cook and feed myself without LS. Button falls off pants I not scared my pants will drop. Dripping tap can replace but if flood, then I can only turn off the main tap. Electrical works I bit scared meet my maker earlier than expected so I KS and switch off the mains of the whole house even though just a simple job of changing a wall socket. But I know nuts about cars even though my father was a mechanic. 😅

Some skills learnt from young. Some from YT. Call plumber/electrician can cost a lot for a simple job. Can save money DIY for simple jobs.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Cannot live in Australia?

Of course can.

One SG lady married ang moh went to live in OZ

proudly bragged on Social Media she learn to cook hor, she learn to clean house hor, she learnt to weed the garden hor!

If she married one of us she will say no maid no marry!

:D

Why marry ang moh willing to be a maid in her own house?

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 8:50 AM, Watwheels said:

Hot pot dont even need cooking skill. You can buy your own equipment, raw meat and DIY at home. Any Japanese supermarket will have pre-prepared broth in a packet, got several flavours, if you want spicy also have. If you want mala go market buy plenty of dried chili and put it in the broth. Sliced meat and fresh vege found at plenty of supermarkets. 

Ppl go to HDL cos they want to be pampered by the staff. You dont need special skill to cook raw meat.

yup. Steamboat/hotpot isn't cooking - it's boiling 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 5/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, Rollagt said:

Lately, I went to Hai Di Lao with wifey and 2 couple friends. When the raw food comes, one of my friend's wife start putting the raw food inside the barely boiling soup, within 5mins she start picking the food out as she was hungry. I stopped her and says, "eh..soup haven boil and food only half cooked."

She reply me, "Oh is it?" Then I wonder, all along how she eat steamboat without stomachache ? My friend laugh, "all along, I do the cooking, she eat only." Friend wifey proudly admit that she is blessed.

During dinner, we chat and I told them, I don't know how to change electric socket. The females on the table (except my wife) says, "Har? U are man leh, suppose to know all these technical stuff." At this point, I get annoyed, I reply back..U all also don't know how to cook what. Their reply to me was, aiyo! 2023 leh..not 1980s, your thinking so traditional sia.

What do you think ? Am I consider lousy ? Technical stuff wise, I had no problem self assembly IKEA stuff, simple adjustment to bicycle and change bidet spray hose. Or rather, should girls nowadays learn some basic cooking skills so that they can be self reliant when they go eat steamboat.

See how easy? :grin:Male want to work as kindergarten teacher also cannot.

https://www.asiaone.com/china/kindergarten-teacher-livestreamer-woman-china-changes-career-after-earning-10-years-salary-1

Kindergarten teacher to livestreamer: Woman in China changes career after earning 10 years' salary in 1 livestream

100523_influencer%20teacher_Weibo.jpg?it

A kindergarten teacher in China quit her job, after finding a more profitable career as a livestreamer. 

The woman from Wuhan, surnamed Huang, initially uploaded videos of herself singing nursery rhymes on Chinese video-sharing platform Douyin. 

To her surprise, the clip made waves on the internet, and racked up over 100 million views, reported Oriental Daily last Friday (May 5). 

With netizens praising her looks and engaging teaching methods, Huang soon gained 4.3 million followers online, who shared and reposted her videos. 

Some of her fans also started asking if she could do a livestream. 

Egged on, Huang agreed to do so. 

To the teacher's surprise, fans flooded her with gifts during her first video broadcast, causing her to shed tears of joy. 

"I'm ecstatic, I livestreamed for a day and managed to earn 10 years [of my] salary, thank you, everyone," said Huang. 

During her first livestream, Huang reportedly earned between 400,000 to 500,000 yuan (S$76,600 to S$95,800). 

According to Oriental Daily, her monthly salary as a teacher was 3,000 yuan. 

Huang subsequently resigned from her job and became a full-time livestreamer. 

Within her first three sessions, she managed to earn 2 million yuan. 

Huang has also since signed a contract with an influencer management agency. 

• Shocked 1

Hypersonic

If u have the money, can just outsource.

I won't change my own tyre also. Hot, tiring for what. Just pay lor. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, serenade said:

This attitude cannot live in Australia/NZ/USA/UK. Handy man and blue collar services cost as much as see a doctor. Someone can mow the lawn for you or fix a tap. But pay them professional fees and not Bangladeshi unskilled worker rates that we pay here. If cannot change own tyre in these countries, good luck to you. The car can be tens of kilos from nearest town.  If call AA, the man will take hours to reach and by then, in total darkness. Do we want to wait in darkness, in the cold, and risk getting robbed? 

That was a similar discussion I had when I was passenger in a car in Hong Kong, more than 20yrs.

Driving through Sai Kung, got a flat tyre. I got out to help change it, asking where the jack was and my friend asked, "Jack?" I knew I was pretty much screwed to do the bloody thing myself but HE asked me back, "You know how to change a tyre?"....... "You mean you don't, yet you drive?"

Pretty fundamental stuff but I got a flat here a couple years back, no bloody tyre anyway in the boot. A repair kit (foam/pump thing) with instructions in every single worldwide language, except English. Save a few kilo, yes, but no idea how the bloody thing works - each car brand has a different supplier. At least with a jack, iron and a wheel with tyre, job done.

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 5/11/2023 at 8:50 AM, Watwheels said:

Hot pot dont even need cooking skill. You can buy your own equipment, raw meat and DIY at home. Any Japanese supermarket will have pre-prepared broth in a packet, got several flavours, if you want spicy also have. If you want mala go market buy plenty of dried chili and put it in the broth. Sliced meat and fresh vege found at plenty of supermarkets. 

Ppl go to HDL cos they want to be pampered by the staff. You dont need special skill to cook raw meat.

for hot pot, i absolutely hate it when my friends or colleagues just dump the whole stack of meat into the pot. end up overcooked and scattered all over the pot and have to fish for it.

i cook bit by bit and once just right take it out.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, serenade said:

I guess whether a person knows how to do what thing, really depends on the environment being bought up. If a person lives in sg, maybe it is not a critical thing for him/her to know how to chance a tyre, since easily able to get someone to come and do it for you. But if a person lives in those countries like what you have mentioned, then die die also must learn and know how to change a tyre or mow the lawn liao. 😂 But for basic household chores and taking care of yourself, then i would think no matter which countries you stay also must know lo. Don't depend on others to do it.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
On 5/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, Kxbc said:

A lot of these skills are interest and/or taught by parents. The family influence is strong on a growing child.

I don't cook well but can cook and feed myself without LS. Button falls off pants I not scared my pants will drop. Dripping tap can replace but if flood, then I can only turn off the main tap. Electrical works I bit scared meet my maker earlier than expected so I KS and switch off the mains of the whole house even though just a simple job of changing a wall socket. But I know nuts about cars even though my father was a mechanic. 😅

Some skills learnt from young. Some from YT. Call plumber/electrician can cost a lot for a simple job. Can save money DIY for simple jobs.

my DIY skills was semi learnt from my dad and lots of "tuition fees" ie screw up and self learning.

now the kids want to use $$ to pay for their way or just ask others. I like to be independent, learn and have the ability to also spot bulls**t from mechanics or contractors.

• Praise 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:26 AM, Jamesc said:

Why marry ang moh willing to be a maid in her own house?

Money.

Or an enormous co.......... complimentary buffet.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, Kxbc said:

I think the main good thing about knowing basic DIY plumbling/electrical stuff is just to save money. Since calling a plumber/electrician not cheap. The transport fees alone can kill, and still have not included the labour fees and parts yet.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 10:36 AM, Mkl22 said:

for hot pot, i absolutely hate it when my friends or colleagues just dump the whole stack of meat into the pot. end up overcooked and scattered all over the pot and have to fish for it.

i cook bit by bit and once just right take it out.

lol. same as you.

Each family has their own style. Dump everything in at one go or do it piece by piece. Choice of ingredients also different. Some like hotdogs/luncheon meat, some hates processed food.

That's why can only go for hotpot session with own family or people with same style and food preferences.

• Praise 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, 13177 said:

I think the main good thing about knowing basic DIY plumbling/electrical stuff is just to save money. Since calling a plumber/electrician not cheap. The transport fees alone can kill, and still have not included the labour fees and parts yet.

When we know a bit or a lot through DIY, the plumber or electrician cannot bluff their way through their job, or shoddy work. I know it is hard smelly work when a plumber is called to clear a choked toilet bowl that I failed when DIY. I pay them what they ask.

Also any overhead electrical work, I know how taxing it is to the arms and neck. Like wise air-con man who has to hang out of the window in the heat to service a faulty compressor. I pay them their asking price. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5