Views on gender roles

Rollagt

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, Jman888 said:

there was once me n a female colleague came out from a lunch meeting with clients, saw my car has a punctured tyre. I called AAS and the colleague ask "you duno how to change tyre?" I just roll my eyes [laugh]

got some people in MCF, mod included👀..... will just swing by showroom and change to new car :grin:    

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 7

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 11:11 AM, BanCoe said:

got some people in MCF, mod included👀..... will just swing by showroom and change to new car :grin:    

i thought it was either car dirty or empty fuel tank (now empty battery tank) will change car? :grin:

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Windwaver said:

Got good parents :grin:

when they were younger, all these my job, and since they are quite close to me, always stick ard to kaypoh help take tools and pretend to be part of it.  So there was once we ordered some chairs from taobao, and my elder girl wanted to try, even made a video of her doing it. After that one by one the kids got involve. Finally when we reno their rooms, most of their new furniture were either from  Ikea or taobao, ownself fixed. I only got involve to help carry when the parts are heavy. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, Kxbc said:

i thought it was either car dirty or empty fuel tank (now empty battery tank) will change car? :grin:

dunno how to change tayar panchit lah.......:grin: 

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, serenade said:

This attitude cannot live in Australia/NZ/USA/UK. Handy man and blue collar services cost as much as see a doctor. Someone can mow the lawn for you or fix a tap. But pay them professional fees and not Bangladeshi unskilled worker rates that we pay here. If cannot change own tyre in these countries, good luck to you. The car can be tens of kilos from nearest town.  If call AA, the man will take hours to reach and by then, in total darkness. Do we want to wait in darkness, in the cold, and risk getting robbed? 

aiya cannot compare like that lah. Unless one is going to stay over at these places or they were born there with no choice. How they live their life has nothing to do with us.  

Over there, if call AA and the guy come in 1 hr, is already give 10 stars comment liao, some lucky ones may even get a BJ.  Over here, call AA dont come in 30 min is all KNN and  make 2nd call liao. 

Got choice and no choice is no same you know. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tianmo said:

when they were younger, all these my job, and since they are quite close to me, always stick ard to kaypoh help take tools and pretend to be part of it.  So there was once we ordered some chairs from taobao, and my elder girl wanted to try, even made a video of her doing it. After that one by one the kids got involve. Finally when we reno their rooms, most of their new furniture were either from  Ikea or taobao, ownself fixed. I only got involve to help carry when the parts are heavy. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

fix these DIY furniture have drill will be best. If not is really train wrist strength. I don't have a drill at home, so there was this piece of Ikea furniture with super solid wood. I took 10/15 min for each screw. And I have 2 pieces of that furniture. Really tired die my wrist.

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, Kxbc said:

fix these DIY furniture have drill will be best. If not is really train wrist strength. I don't have a drill at home, so there was this piece of Ikea furniture with super solid wood. I took 10/15 min for each screw. And I have 2 pieces of that furniture. Really tired die my wrist.

Most of this IKEA stuff all use Allen key or Hex key ....... not EZ to find drill attachment and must adjust the torque too carefully if not habis 

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tianmo said:

aiya cannot compare like that lah. Unless one is going to stay over at these places or they were born there with no choice. How they live their life has nothing to do with us.  

Over there, if call AA and the guy come in 1 hr, is already give 10 stars comment liao, some lucky ones may even get a BJ.  Over here, call AA dont come in 30 min is all KNN and  make 2nd call liao. 

Got choice and no choice is no same you know. [:p][laugh][laugh]

you watch too many educational videos lah. 😅

• Haha! 5

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, serenade said:

When we know a bit or a lot through DIY, the plumber or electrician cannot bluff their way through their job, or shoddy work. I know it is hard smelly work when a plumber is called to clear a choked toilet bowl that I failed when DIY. I pay them what they ask.

Also any overhead electrical work, I know how taxing it is to the arms and neck. Like wise air-con man who has to hang out of the window in the heat to service a faulty compressor. I pay them their asking price. 

I'm only 42 and i can hear the crepitus in my neck facet joints all the time. 
Usually I try to rotate my neck while waiting on the escalator. 

I don't like overhead work, so actually an important tool is a good wide based ladder. But not suitable for those above 3m. The workers also need portability.

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, Kxbc said:

A lot of these skills are interest and/or taught by parents. The family influence is strong on a growing child.

I don't cook well but can cook and feed myself without LS. Button falls off pants I not scared my pants will drop. Dripping tap can replace but if flood, then I can only turn off the main tap. Electrical works I bit scared meet my maker earlier than expected so I KS and switch off the mains of the whole house even though just a simple job of changing a wall socket. But I know nuts about cars even though my father was a mechanic. 😅

Some skills learnt from young. Some from YT. Call plumber/electrician can cost a lot for a simple job. Can save money DIY for simple jobs.

Yah, I agree.  And sometimes is just the thought of not wasting time waiting, if I can fix it, I can fix it right away. 

I can cook, sew, change tap change door knot change downlight/bulb, extend wiring, do housework, and change oil for my car, not like a pro, but all can do can work type.  So my kids somehow also can do some of these, they see me do it so they not worry they cannot do it, just that they dont have to do it. 

I took down all the grills in my EA flat alone, because no contractor wanted to do it for me, and took me 3 weekends to finally get the job done. 

Dismantled 1 build in wardrobe and two  8ft width cabinets with a crowbar, hammer and screw driver, because contractor wanted $200 each. Limbey tulan DIY and save $600. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Kxbc said:

lol. same as you.

Each family has their own style. Dump everything in at one go or do it piece by piece. Choice of ingredients also different. Some like hotdogs/luncheon meat, some hates processed food.

That's why can only go for hotpot session with own family or people with same style and food preferences.

I heard of 1 family their hotpot only has balls. Nothing else but balls.

Fish ball, sotong ball, prawn ball, pork ball, beef ball, mushroom ball and whatever ball you can find in supermarkets. Really amazing. 

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, Lala81 said:

If u have the money, can just outsource.

I won't change my own tyre also. Hot, tiring for what. Just pay lor. 

when I was younger, I even kept an iron rod in the boot to extend the lever, now i call the WS and go stand under a shade. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 5/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, Tianmo said:

Yah, I agree.  And sometimes is just the thought of not wasting time waiting, if I can fix it, I can fix it right away. 

I can cook, sew, change tap change door knot change downlight/bulb, extend wiring, do housework, and change oil for my car, not like a pro, but all can do can work type.  So my kids somehow also can do some of these, they see me do it so they not worry they cannot do it, just that they dont have to do it. 

I took down all the grills in my EA flat alone, because no contractor wanted to do it for me, and took me 3 weekends to finally get the job done. 

Dismantled 1 build in wardrobe and two  8ft width cabinets with a crowbar, hammer and screw driver, because contractor wanted $200 each. Limbey tulan DIY and save $600. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

We need suitable tools for this kind of work. I do have a toolbox with some wrenches, pliers, hammers and the normal stuff. But no drill, no crowbar.

Some of my friends don't even have basic tools, let alone a toolbox. I ask them things spoil how. They shrug their heads say call for professional help. That's how this mentality speads to their kids.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, serenade said:

When we know a bit or a lot through DIY, the plumber or electrician cannot bluff their way through their job, or shoddy work. I know it is hard smelly work when a plumber is called to clear a choked toilet bowl that I failed when DIY. I pay them what they ask.

Also any overhead electrical work, I know how taxing it is to the arms and neck. Like wise air-con man who has to hang out of the window in the heat to service a faulty compressor. I pay them their asking price. 

你该赚的我给你![thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:38 AM, Kxbc said:

I heard of 1 family their hotpot only has balls. Nothing else but balls.

Fish ball, sotong ball, prawn ball, pork ball, beef ball, mushroom ball and whatever ball you can find in supermarkets. Really amazing. 

some families is eat to live type. So not uncommon actually.

Growing up, my mum don't like all these. So it's just how you are brought up. 

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, Kxbc said:

buy a small drill lah, quite useful to have one ard the house, under $50 can get quite a decent one. make DIY life alot easier.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 5/11/2023 at 11:29 AM, BanCoe said:

Most of this IKEA stuff all use Allen key or Hex key ....... not EZ to find drill attachment and must adjust the torque too carefully if not habis 

plenty of 18v bit driver in the market. from the cheapie taobao versions to the professional makita milwaukee brands. makes the job so much easier. i took about 10mins to build 4 ikea stools. spent the same amount of time cutting up the packaging  and to remove screws as much as installing when i used the bit driver.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:42 AM, Kxbc said:

We need suitable tools for this kind of work. I do have a toolbox with some wrenches, pliers, hammers and the normal stuff. But no drill, no crowbar.

Some of my friends don't even have basic tools, let alone a toolbox. I ask them things spoil how. They shrug their heads say call for professional help. That's how this mentality speads to their kids.

a light weight drill is good to have (under $50),  a smaller crowbar only cost $10-$15, good to have but hardly use, but when you need it you will love it for saving all your strength and energy, beside how fast it helps to get the job done. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1