Views on gender roles

Rollagt

Hypersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, Tianmo said:

a light weight drill is good to have (under $50),  a smaller crowbar only cost $10-$15, good to have but hardly use, but when you need it you will love it for saving all your strength and energy, beside how fast it helps to get the job done. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

Hmm no need crowbar lah. Just a good longer claw hammer, can serve dual purpose. 

I remember importing a wooden table from taobao for my place. 
The whole thing came with a protective wooden case. Took me 1 hr+ just to remove the frame and dispose safely with about 40-50 nails jutting out.

↡ Advertisement

I am from the era of rounded education in the 1970s. Debatable whether better than today. It was the time when sports was for all, not just the elite. Teachers made the sports stars, not import them ready made. Similarly, technical education was offered to all in secondary schools, including the girls. I could saw, drill, carve and wire a circuit by the time I was 16. Learnt from the Technical workshops. 

Following on, I went to a Polytechnic. There I learnt the basics of mechanical, electrical and civil engineering. Don't play play - I can mix concrete and lay a brickwall. Won't be the best looking nor the straightest, but a wall will be built, nonetheless. I also learnt to weld, solder, braze, operate a lathe/miller, program a CNC machine.  Till today when I look at a piece of furniture or appliance, I can see the steps of manufacture. The girls from my classes are better at DIY than their husbands from the Arts stream, at home. Us oldies from the Tech stream can DIY for sure. 

You can say I was prepared for DIY works in my home from my education. Ironically, my technical knowledge did not help me in my career as I ended up working for banks and the only technical skill I applied at work was to repair my own work chair when the bolts worked loose from my habitual rocking of the seat. 

• Praise 7

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:59 AM, Lala81 said:

Hmm no need crowbar lah. Just a good longer claw hammer, can serve dual purpose. 

I remember importing a wooden table from taobao for my place. 
The whole thing came with a protective wooden case. Took me 1 hr+ just to remove the frame and dispose safely with about 40-50 nails jutting out.

You may not want to spend extra money, but they have a small claw nail puller, easier to handle than a claw hammer, esp, if there are many nails to remove.

https://www.amazon.sg/ESTWING-Pro-Claw-Nail-Puller/dp/B00DT0OYRI/

61Jrta9mymL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Praise 3

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, serenade said:

I am from the era of rounded education in the 1970s. Debatable whether better than today. It was the time when sports was for all, not just the elite. Teachers made the sports stars, not import them ready made. Similarly, technical education was offered to all in secondary schools, including the girls. I could saw, drill, carve and wire a circuit by the time I was 16. Learnt from the Technical workshops. 

Following on, I went to a Polytechnic. There I learnt the basics of mechanical, electrical and civil engineering. Don't play play - I can mix concrete and lay a brickwall. Won't be the best looking nor the straightest, but a wall will be built, nonetheless. I also learnt to weld, solder, braze, operate a lathe/miller, program a CNC machine.  Till today when I look at a piece of furniture or appliance, I can see the steps of manufacture. The girls from my classes are better at DIY than their husbands from the Arts stream, at home. Us oldies from the Tech stream can DIY for sure. 

You can say I was prepared for DIY works in my home from my education. Ironically, my technical knowledge did not help me in my career as I ended up working for banks and the only technical skill I applied at work was to repair my own work chair when the bolts worked loose from my habitual rocking of the seat. 

Dunno how's the education system now. I was "streamed" into metalwork class (against my interests) in Sec 3. Got a chance to work on a lathe machine, drilling, brazing, knurling, twisting metal bars. But now all forgotten.

Later, i did part time in Poly electronics, which turned out to be a dead-end. No one wants engineers anymore.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:44 PM, Kb27 said:

Dunno how's the education system now. I was "streamed" into metalwork class (against my interests) in Sec 3. Got a chance to work on a lathe machine, drilling, brazing, knurling, twisting metal bars. But now all forgotten.

Later, i did part time in Poly electronics, which turned out to be a dead-end. No one wants engineers anymore.

Engineers were very poorly paid in Singapore's manufacturing heyday. Still are badly paid vis-a-vis the other professionals. After I got my Engineering degree, I worked at the biggest banks in non-engineering roles. I was paid 2X-3X more than what I would have earned had I gone into HDD manufacturing.   

• Praise 2

On 5/11/2023 at 7:43 AM, Loki said:

The true test is whether your daughters can catch spider, lizards or cockcroaches that appear in their rooms 🤣🤣🤣

My daughter till today still thinks that she could disable the crawlies or at least deafen their eardrums by screaming in super high decibels...😅

On 5/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, Jamesc said:

Different generation.

:D

The current gen knows where to get it done...at a fee they are willing to pay...even when unwilling also pay...ai swee niah 😂

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, Kxbc said:

fix these DIY furniture have drill will be best. If not is really train wrist strength. I don't have a drill at home, so there was this piece of Ikea furniture with super solid wood. I took 10/15 min for each screw. And I have 2 pieces of that furniture. Really tired die my wrist.

If your house has no drill, why you still buy DIY furniture le? 😅

Still on the subject of Engineer's pay. Many years later, I became close friends with EDB scholars dealing with policy and asked him about the low pay. His reply was that there are many Engineers with degrees and diplomas here. Hence the supply is good enough to meet demand and so the pay is lower that other professions. Then he said that it is the low pay of skilled engineers here that attracted many major companies to set up manufacturing or repair bases here thereby providing employment in the 80s, 90s and 2000s at all levels. In other words, Engineers were made use of.

It got so bad in succeeding years, that the best brains did not opt for Engineering and enrollment declined. This is why there is a shortage of locally trained Engineers today and many have to be imported from India and the region.  For decades, the profession has been under paid and under appreciated. 

• Praise 2
  • Sad 2

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 11:42 AM, Kxbc said:

We need suitable tools for this kind of work. I do have a toolbox with some wrenches, pliers, hammers and the normal stuff. But no drill, no crowbar.

Some of my friends don't even have basic tools, let alone a toolbox. I ask them things spoil how. They shrug their heads say call for professional help. That's how this mentality speads to their kids.

Not bad la, your friends dont have any basic tools or toolbox in the house means they really don't know how to do or don't want to do. Some people have many tools and toolbox at home and yet they don't know how to use those tools. 😅

why you all must focus on all the hard labor work? DIY, fix this fix that, cook this cook that, catch this catch that? 

why no one say my partner enjoys when i can play guitar or piano, i can play all kind of sports with anyone around me, i know may kpop songs or know kdrama to share with my friends/family, i can edit and make fantastic photo album or video clips on youtube and tiktok, etc etc. [laugh] [laugh]

• Haha! 6

Supersonic
On 5/11/2023 at 12:52 PM, serenade said:

Engineers were very poorly paid in Singapore's manufacturing heyday. Still are badly paid vis-a-vis the other professionals. After I got my Engineering degree, I worked at the biggest banks in non-engineering roles. I was paid 2X-3X more than what I would have earned had I gone into HDD manufacturing.   

Thought engineering graduates pay more than non engineering graduates? How come yours got paid 2X-3X more? Maybe cause you work for banks. Since people always say work in bank, salary always very high de.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Its hard to keep engineers when finance and banking pays so much better.

:D

Anyway engineers got many types.

Some have muddy shoes, some have oily hands, some just sit behind computer screens. Software engineers.

Edited by Jamesc

On 5/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, 13177 said:

Thought engineering graduates pay more than non engineering graduates? How come yours got paid 2X-3X more? Maybe cause you work for banks. Since people always say work in bank, salary always very high de.

Engineers are paid more than Arts, English, Literature, Biz grads. But compared to professionals like doctors, lawyers, accountants, architects,  engineers were comparatively paid much less. This was in the time context of 1980 to 2000s   

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, Jman888 said:

why you all must focus on all the hard labor work? DIY, fix this fix that, cook this cook that, catch this catch that? 

why no one say my partner enjoys when i can play guitar or piano, i can play all kind of sports with anyone around me, i know may kpop songs or know kdrama to share with my friends/family, i can edit and make fantastic photo album or video clips on youtube and tiktok, etc etc. [laugh] [laugh]

haha i do agree with this actually.

Having some common interests or hobbies are important. 

If your friends are talking about discord/IG but you are talking about writing blogs on wordpress or what. Then it's a social disconnect lol.

Edited by Lala81

On 5/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, serenade said:

Engineers are paid more than Arts, English, Literature, Biz grads. But compared to professionals like doctors, lawyers, accountants, architects,  engineers were comparatively paid much less. This was in the time context of 1980 to 2000s   

Yes, but now it's our turn to be in short supply...... at older pay rates here, nobody wanted to come, but now pay is better.

↡ Advertisement