Attn Lexus owners and those intending to buy Lexus vehicles

Mazdaseller

(edited)

Those who own Lexus of the following models IS, GS and RC from years 2013-2017 take note of the potential servo motor issue of the Air-Con. Basically, if you adjust the temperature to "HI" and/or turn on the windscreen or window heater and then subsequently turn it down to cooling temperature, there is a potential that the driver's side blower might still be blowing hot air due to the servo motor electrical malfunction. Most of us do not turn the temperature to high, hence, will never encounter this issue till you change coolant, do AC maintenance or accidentally changed the temperature to high, so won't encounter this till years after purchase. However, Lexus is conducting recall and repair for free for U.S and Canada markets at least as they encounter this issue when winter hits. Just U.S alone, they are recalling over 300k vehicles of the various models to repair for free, even beyond the basic warranty period, up to 7 years.

So, if your vehicle is under warranty, please check whether you have this issue and get if fixed, or if you are looking to purchase a used Lexus of the various affected models, can also check for the malfunction. Local dealer in SG will not repair for you FOC if warranty has lapsed, and the most they will do is "reset" for you and the problem will eventually recur. I attach the links of the recall announced by U.S. NHTSA. The steps to replicate the issue varies as there are up to 8 servo motors, but mainly, adjust the temperature up to "Hi" and/or turn on the window/windscreen heater for awhile and then bring down to "Lo" or 20 deg or lower and check whether there is uneven AC temperature, especially on driver side. All the info can be found from the pdfs from the links.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10188921-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204550-9999.pdf

Edited by Mazdaseller
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)
On 5/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

My harrier last time also blow hot air

i believe same issue

How much did it cost to fix it? Also driver side?

Edited by Mazdaseller

On 5/22/2023 at 10:25 PM, Mazdaseller said:

How much did it cost to fix it? Also driver side?

That time i sent in to PI workshop for warranty claim they only reset 

in the end sold the car lol

Supercharged

Its a pretty small issue - I encountered before on FWD model also.

Just change out the servo lor

Twincharged
On 5/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, t0y0ta said:

Its a pretty small issue - I encountered before on FWD model also.

Just change out the servo lor

But whole dash out to change right? Not so trival

On 5/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, Mkl22 said:

But whole dash out to change right? Not so trival

Some say no need, others say need to take out whole dash... I guess it depends on which servo motor spoilt and depending on which vehicle model. For mine, was told that two servo motors needed replacing and whole dash needed to be taken out. For those who still have warranty, just go and have it replaced, otherwise, the cheaper route would be to keep resetting it when this occur, annoying, but cheapest way. I heard of a guy who reset three times already, his case is quite bad and another replaced all eight servo motors for 2k+ and no more problems.☹️

Hi,

May I know which workshop(s) specialize in servicing Lexus? Looking for alternatives beside Borneo Motors.

Thanks.

Have a IS200T new from BM. I had it reset  5 TIMES by BM and I was not even aware of the soft reset done by BM until now.Each time problem arise sent it to BM and end of the day collected the car, check it OK, problem solved, happy, unaware they just reset it. All this time the car was still warranty. The SA claimed it has been repaired and and not as you described. Now warranty over I llst. This my second unit and will be last from them

Supercharged
On 6/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, thermos said:

Have a IS200T new from BM. I had it reset  5 TIMES by BM and I was not even aware of the soft reset done by BM until now.Each time problem arise sent it to BM and end of the day collected the car, check it OK, problem solved, happy, unaware they just reset it. All this time the car was still warranty. The SA claimed it has been repaired and and not as you described. Now warranty over I llst. This my second unit and will be last from them

You can continue to reset it instead of replacing servo lor

On 6/16/2023 at 4:51 PM, t0y0ta said:

You can continue to reset it instead of replacing servo lor

Thanks for your help. Will continue until  the next problem comes up.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:06 PM, Mazdaseller said:

@thermos Now out of warranty, will BM charge a fee to reset?

No Idea, but it is not an issue. Have another free servicing to go and this car done only 28000 km

Those looking to do a reset for their AC, there's a guy on carousell who can do it, just do a search lexus servo motor.

↡ Advertisement