Japanese Brands Join Hands In Developing Hydrogen Bike Engines

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

image.png.1d58b866f559c9fdda59e3c658bf8f5b.png

Source: https://www.lowyat.net/2023/300587/japanese-brands-hydrogen-bike-engines/

Specifically Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha, with Toyota being a "special member".

When it comes to clean alternatives to fuel, much of the conversation is centred around electric vehicles (EVs). Every once in awhile, hydrogen engines come up, but these are usually talked about with regards to cars or larger vehicles. Four Japanese bike makers are looking to change that, as they have announced a research partnership for developing hydrogen-powered combustion engines for motorcycles.

The research group is collectively known as the Hydrogen Small Mobility & Engine Technology (HySE), comprising of Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Beyond the four, Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Toyota are also included as special members of the association, which has been granted approval by the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

image.png.ac81ff0e3281eb5f5b197d8cea95666f.png

Each of the four companies also have their roles within HySE quite clearly defined. As per the press release by Honda, the company will be responsible for “research on the model-based development of hydrogen-powered engines”. Suzuki, on the other hand, will be working on “element study on functionality, performance, and reliability” instead.

Yamaha will be working on the tank and refueling systems, while Kawasaki handles the auxiliary equipment for the tank and fuel supply system, as well as the equipment in between the fuel tank and injector. Both of these companies will also be doing “hands-on research using real hydrogen-powered engines on their functionality, performance and reliability”.

image.png.fcf7534158361d5bd0bb93655b294e40.png

Among the challenges faced by those looking to make hydrogen engines for bikes is due to the fact that they are smaller, and therefore have more limited room for hydrogen fuel cell storage. Japanese online publication Kyodo News also reports that HySE is also considering installing these engines onto boats and even drones, should this research in making hydrogen engines for bikes be successful. The report also notes that while members of the association are working together for the research, the decision to make anything to be sold commercially is up to each company.

Novelty at its best.  What do you think? Bike can just go BEV. Like what gogoro have did. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

I think there is definitely technology for vehicles that can be on par or surpass EVs for carbon reduction; like what Toyota is trying to build up hydrogen engines for cars too:

Toyota CEO: "This New Engine Will Destroy The Entire EV Industry!"

JCB-UK has modified their existing diesel block designs to take hydrogen - actually relatively minor changes required. They are developing kits that will convert old engines to switch from diesel as well.

I am more a fan of hydrogen and/or synthetic fuel solutions than electric but I agree that for bikes, electric may be better overall. That said, after watching Ewan MacGregor's last "Long Way Up" from southern Argentina to Los Angeles, there are definitely issues remaining with batteries in respect to charging and operating in low temperatures.

• Praise 2

(edited)

I am still of the opinion that BEVs are an interim solution while Hydrogen is the longer term and more sustainable fuel, whether its converted to electrical energy in a Fuel Cell or combusted in an ICE.

If it can be efficiently burnt in an ICE then better still. No need to scrap millions and millions of ICE vehicles, which itself is a waste of resources and energy and surely not environmentally sound.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator
On 5/23/2023 at 10:45 PM, mersaylee said:

This alliance is futile...

Title said join hands...where got?😁

image.png.fcf7534158361d5bd0bb93655b294e40.png

covid lah. cannot anyhow touch. hahaha 

• Haha! 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:07 AM, kobayashiGT said:

covid lah. cannot anyhow touch. hahaha 

Simi covid lah...stand so close yet no wear mask if so scared...wayang only lah...simi alliance...jippun corps nowadays also kakigukaki one...hmm...have I just invented a new jippunese word there...? 😂

On 5/23/2023 at 7:41 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

I am still of the opinion that BEVs are an interim solution while Hydrogen is the longer term and more sustainable fuel, whether its converted to electrical energy in a Fuel Cell or combusted in an ICE.

If it can be efficiently burnt in an ICE then better still. No need to scrap millions and millions of ICE vehicles, which itself is a waste of resources and energy and surely not environmentally sound.

Hydrogen is not at all competitive now, especially green hydrogen. Using natural gas to produce hydrogen is LPPL.

With COP26 commitment (no more new ICE car by 2030), by the time hydrogen is competitive, big if, the EV network in Singapore would be very widespread and i suspect it will be hydrogen fueling our power plants that charges our EVs.

ICE (thermal efficiency of 30-35%) vs Electric motor. One is far more efficient than the other.

I don't think hydrogen will be THE fuel for automobiles here.

Happy to hear counter arguments and alternative views.

• Praise 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:34 PM, Voodooman said:

Hydrogen is not at all competitive now, especially green hydrogen. Using natural gas to produce hydrogen is LPPL.

With COP26 commitment (no more new ICE car by 2030), by the time hydrogen is competitive, big if, the EV network in Singapore would be very widespread and i suspect it will be hydrogen fueling our power plants that charges our EVs.

ICE (thermal efficiency of 30-35%) vs Electric motor. One is far more efficient than the other.

I don't think hydrogen will be THE fuel for automobiles here.

Happy to hear counter arguments and alternative views.

It should be A fuel and, correct, not THE fuel.

It is good for keeping those classics alive but with Hyundai having a super quick prototype under development in addition to the Japanese and Germans, economy of scale will push pricing down, albeit slowly in the beginning, whilst improving efficiency. JCB say their diesel replacement blocks are only slightly down on efficiency this moment whilst having the similar power/torque curves, but some changes this year will put hydrogen on par.

By having a combination of Hydrogen ICE and Fuel Cell we have one fuel type powering two systems.

• Praise 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, bsswan said:

It should be A fuel and, correct, not THE fuel.

It is good for keeping those classics alive but with Hyundai having a super quick prototype under development in addition to the Japanese and Germans, economy of scale will push pricing down, albeit slowly in the beginning, whilst improving efficiency. JCB say their diesel replacement blocks are only slightly down on efficiency this moment whilst having the similar power/torque curves, but some changes this year will put hydrogen on par.

By having a combination of Hydrogen ICE and Fuel Cell we have one fuel type powering two systems.

Only Porsche is pushing out e-fuel to keep classic Porsche.

Currently e-fuel is about $10/L

↡ Advertisement