The Singapore divide accdg to this!

Windwaver

We all know there's another title to influencer, content creator or strategic communicator...it's known as shix stirer...😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

On 5/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, mersaylee said:

We all know there's another title to influencer, content creator or strategic communicator...it's known as shix stirer...😁

Shix stirrer doesn’t get sponsors 

I managed to finish first sentence and decided to scroll and see if you guys under the stand her.

Glad I am pretty the normal type and not dumb to carry on reading.

• Haha! 5

(edited)

Aside from sounding odious, I don’t quite understand the distress that led to the deluge of diarrhoea.

In case she is unaware, Imodium can be purchased without a prescription. [laugh]

Edited by Mason016
  • Haha! 4

(edited)

As to the thread title. Another piece that might cost uncomfort to certain group in the society. I agreed with the writer though. 😁

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/short-reads/article/3221279/sedan-chairs-vs-sedans-one-used-freely-imperial-chinas-elite-other-needing-us89000-permit-singapores

Sedan chairs vs sedans: one used freely by imperial China’s elite, the other needing a US$89,000 permit for Singapore’s elite to own

The ruling elite, as well as wealthy aristocrats and commoners, in ancient China would be carried around in sedan chairs, or palanquins, by human bearers

To carry anyone around in a sedan in Singapore requires buying not just the car but a permit to own one, and at US$89,000, they’re only for the elite

My 20-year-old nephew in Singapore just got his driver’s licence. After paying S$2,400 (US$1,785) in total for lessons and tests, he earned the dubious privilege of driving in a city where the cost of owning a private car is among the highest in the world. Before car buyers in Singapore even begin to consider the hefty price of the automobile itself, they have to bid for a certificate of entitlement (COE), which is a permit to own a car. At a recent bidding this month, a COE for a large car was an eye-watering S$120,000 (US$89,000) As if that isn’t enough of a deterrent, a COE is valid for only 10 years. The cost of renewing the COE is based on the most recent bidding prices of the same vehicle categories, which, needless to say, costs an arm and a leg. Then there are other expenses like petrol, parking, taxes, road tolls, car maintenance and insurance.

Traffic at Collyer Quay in Singapore. The small city state deliberately makes driving expensive by making drivers obtain permits to own their cars. 

All these form part of the government’s deliberate strategy to limit the number of cars in a densely populated city state of five million, something that I appreciate whenever I am stuck in one of those soul-crushing traffic jams that are so common in other Southeast Asian cities. I’ve never been enamoured by the cult of the automobile. To me, a car is just a mechanised vehicle that takes you from one location to another – not a marvellous feat of engineering, not a trophy or marker of material success, and certainly not an extension of my personality or a palpable expression of personal freedom.

If anything, I think driving is stressful and I don’t trust my clumsy self behind the wheel, which is why I’ve never learned how to drive. Far better to let others drive the vehicle, be it a bus, a commuter train, a taxi or ride-hailing car.

In imperial China, ordinary people of limited means would most likely walk if they wished to go somewhere, even if it was a long distance away. For those who could afford them, several options were available for hire if they wanted to travel. Those who covered long distances usually travelled on covered, wheeled carriages pulled by domesticated animals.

Horse-drawn carriages were faster but the rides were bumpier, while carriages pulled by the slower-paced oxen were much more comfortable. In the cities, donkeys were sometimes used.

The palanquin, or sedan chair, carried on men’s shoulders in the front and at the back, was also a very popular mode of transport. Its compact size and human bearers made it very manoeuvrable, a useful quality when one had to negotiate tight city alleys or uneven mountain trails. Members of the ruling elite in imperial China could choose from the above modes of transport in various classes of luxury, shades of colour, sizes of entourage and quantities of trimmings, all of which were strictly regulated according to the user’s rank. Many of the wealthier aristocrats and officials maintained their own private carriages and palanquins. So did commoners of considerable wealth like farmers with large land holdings, merchants and tradesmen, as well as shady types whose sources of income one would be wise not to inquire too much about.

I’ve been lucky in that my lifestyle doesn’t require owning a car. I don’t have to constantly ferry children or elderly family members anywhere, my work doesn’t require me to be on the go most of the time or at short notice, and I live in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore, where the public transport systems are excellent, inexpensive and safe.

Having lived his whole life in the modern cities of Singapore and Hong Kong, Wee Kek Koon has an inexplicable fascination with the past. He is constantly amazed by how much he can mine from China's history for his weekly column in Post Magazine, which he has written

since 2005.

Lessons from China's history

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, mersaylee said:

Cantonese…. Gao2 xi2 guan3 😂 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

She prefers to live in a caste system lah. Maybe can be a 'colored white' in some ang moh countries? Happy she is leaving. 😆

• Praise 1

I think she is not mentally well. How to get customers or find a job after you have written something like this?
Sorry if living in SG did this to you

Hypersonic

What an incredibly ignorant and prejudice view of people.

Do not judge us on the type of homes we live in 

please judge us on the content of our character.

:D

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

don’t need ft to divide us lah… singaporeans already ownself divide ownself

long ago got one mcfer had already labeled hdb estates as ah beng infested slums which he didn’t want his children to grow up in

😬😑

Hypersonic

Everything in our pledge tries to unite us.

We, the citizens of Singapore, pledge ourselves as one united people regardless of race, language, religion and now housing type

• Haha! 5

On 5/24/2023 at 8:12 AM, Mrmilktooth said:

Cantonese…. Gao2 xi2 guan3 😂 

In England it translates into 'stir until the shix boil' 😁

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

So if I stay in Age D B she see me no up?

Why so like that one?

She only want to fren fren private housing people?

Why she judge people based on this?

She so silly one.

Edited by Jamesc

Internal Moderator
On 5/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, SGCMmadman said:

Knnccb tllm

this is vulgar, but subtle. hahahaha. 

Anyway, what is this lady smoking? 

You choose your own poison lah. You like to swim in condo then go buy condo lah. 

I can only afford to swim in free pool in safra. hahahah. I stay HDB lah. 

She talks about humanity, did she talk about capitalism? hahaha. I still wanna talk about Taoism also liao. Amen.... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
On 5/23/2023 at 4:58 PM, Sosaria said:

I only read "It's very hard for me to live in Singapore" [laugh] Ok, very good, then.

On 5/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, RadX said:

Is this why u hv Chennai business park?

mumbai park? Etc

On 5/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, RadX said:

Bye bye 

Think we need more healthcare talents than all these weird people.

CharmingHeartfeltAmericankestrel-size_re

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 5/23/2023 at 5:27 PM, Jamesc said:

She is saying people that live in private housing is very different from people that live in HDB.

As if what kind of dwelling you live in define who you are.

Cast_system-1024x538.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1