9-year-old who picked Teochew opera over ballet at the age of 3

Tianmo

Hypersonic

Awesome,  simply awesome! 

Choosing teochew opera over ballet at age 3! 

What is your view? Will you support her decision if you were her parents? 

I would! [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

(edited)

Yessi...new gen of shave head sabre...someone has to carry the torch of tradition...tee gor liang, tee gor zor...tee gai woo jee, tee gor por...😁

Edited by mersaylee
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, mersaylee said:

Yessi...new gen of shave head sabre...someone has to carry the torch of tradition...tee gor liang, tee gor zor...tee gai woo jee, tee gor por...😁

Your teochew also quite power. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

On 6/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, Tianmo said:

Your teochew also quite power. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I also know emperor jiak png...aka eat rice or die 😁

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2023 at 1:04 PM, Ender said:

No comment, I didn't even teach my children to speak Hainanese.

I also didn't particularly teach my children teochew, but they pick up a little here and there from my conversations with my siblings and late dad. All my children can understand but only my younger daughter can speak teochew, in fact she is also the only one among her siblings who can speak hakka.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Since she has interest, that's good. I can't understand teochew opera. Though i can understand conversational teochew about 30-40%. 

I'm not good at learning languages/dialects.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:57 PM, Tianmo said:

why not? less stress and less competitive than other hobbies, enrichment classes or sports [laugh]

• Haha! 2

On 6/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lala81 said:

Since she has interest, that's good. I can't understand teochew opera. Though i can understand conversational teochew about 30-40%. 

all sinkies understand the magnificent 7 hokkien words (knnbccb) including my Malay Indian angmo friends 🙈🙉🙊

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lala81 said:

yah, this one without interest no way one. 

Actually its not about the dialect, it can be Hokkien, Cantonese opera, or even the Jin opera, what amazed me is that she choose opera over ballet, and her parents supported her, what is more impressive to me is she made that choice at age 3.   I wonder how she get exposed to it in the first place. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, Jman888 said:

why not? less stress and less competitive than other hobbies, enrichment classes or sports [laugh]

KNN, 台上一分钟,台下十年功 hor. This is as close to sport as it can get. 

she mentioned she spend 2 weeks memorizing for a 4 min performance, and had to train 3 times a  week when there is performance,  otherwise is train every sat. Last year she had to train every day through the June sch holidays for a performance. For a young kid like her and willing to do it,  I really feel is awesome. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, Tianmo said:

KNN, 台上一分钟,台下十年功 hor. This is as close to sport as it can get. 

she mentioned she spend 2 weeks memorizing for a 4 min performance, and had to train 3 times a  week when there is performance,  otherwise is train every sat. Last year she had to train every day through the June sch holidays for a performance. For a young kid like her and willing to do it,  I really feel is awesome. [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

yeah she's very motivated. Though chinese opera is a dying art lol.

• Praise 3

On 6/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, Tianmo said:

yah, this one without interest no way one. 

Actually its not about the dialect, it can be Hokkien, Cantonese opera, or even the Jin opera, what amazed me is that she choose opera over ballet, and her parents supported her, what is more impressive to me is she made that choice at age 3.   I wonder how she get exposed to it in the first place. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Her mum was Teochew. It's one of those things, happen to come across and the girl was attracted to it.

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/entertainment/teochew-opera-singapore-young-girl-sophie-ng-360046

• Praise 3

On 6/9/2023 at 12:57 PM, Tianmo said:

I support too.

But I still find a 3 year old choosing opera over ballet a bit unbelievable.... I think it's more parental influence 😅

• Praise 2

On 6/9/2023 at 7:29 PM, Atonchia said:

I support too.

But I still find a 3 year old choosing opera over ballet a bit unbelievable.... I think it's more parental influence 😅

From her pov in that beedeo...it's love at first sight...i tink I still suck thumb at 3...only thot of whether to catch spider, play marbles, jump lonkang or read comic books at 9...😅

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged

Maybe the parent think far ahead, this is a unique DSA route.

Loads of people take music grade exam, ballet grade exam, swimming, etc. etc.

But very very few got teochew opera [laugh]