Jump to content

Noisy retractable side mirror on KIA K3


 Share

Recommended Posts

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I noticed that the driver side mirror's emitting a noisy/ motor/ creaking sound whenever it close and re-open. I've already sprayed a lot ofWD-40 SPECIALIST HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE LUBRICANT but it the noise is still there. 

Interestingly that the issue had only occured after I washed my car. 😔 

Please advice how to rectify this, it's driving me nuts! 😤

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 4/2/2024 at 5:24 PM, mcspiky said:

Hi, I noticed that the driver side mirror's emitting a noisy/ motor/ creaking sound whenever it close and re-open. I've already sprayed a lot ofWD-40 SPECIALIST HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE LUBRICANT but it the noise is still there. 

Interestingly that the issue had only occured after I washed my car. 😔 

Please advice how to rectify this, it's driving me nuts! 😤

It can be as simple as a few dollars plastic gear like this or its equivalent, but yoi need to be able to dismantle the assembly yourself to figure out the defective parts.  Alternatively,  replace the entire mirror assembly which can cost you a few hundred bucks. 

 

https://shp.ee/7dq6sxk

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged

I have a cheaper alternative, embrace it since it doesn't hinder the functionality

our previous car made similar sound almost all the time, didn't affect the folding function until the day we scrapped the car

current car sometimes will make a softer version of that sound

I always tell my wife and kids that the car is talking to us in R2D2 voice, saying "locked" 😁

200.gif?cid=6c09b95238tmvdvg9wconpvqohbm

 

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic

Don't fold after washing car unless really need to like when a lousy parker park too close to you.

Let it dry then fold.

:D

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Internal Moderator
On 4/3/2024 at 9:34 AM, Arogab said:

@RadX, please give your advice :XD:

Let me represent boss. Just change car! Problem solved! 

But koba's advice is don't fold the mirror lah. You never fold, you never know. 😁

  • Haha! 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged
On 4/3/2024 at 8:52 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Let me represent boss. Just change car! Problem solved! 

But koba's advice is don't fold the mirror lah. You never fold, you never know. 😁

Poor newbie, can you guys help him. I am so far away

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Twincharged
On 4/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Let me represent boss. Just change car! Problem solved! 

But koba's advice is don't fold the mirror lah. You never fold, you never know. 😁

use noise cancellation EarPods 😆😆😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

Internal Moderator
On 4/3/2024 at 9:58 AM, Arogab said:

Poor newbie, can you guys help him. I am so far away

if the sound is persistent, most prob is the motor is not working fine. So need to change the assembly one. hahahah. 

My honda also like that.  But i never close one. ignorance is bliss. hahaha 

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 4/3/2024 at 1:39 AM, Gnahp said:

I have a cheaper alternative, embrace it since it doesn't hinder the functionality

our previous car made similar sound almost all the time, didn't affect the folding function until the day we scrapped the car

current car sometimes will make a softer version of that sound

I always tell my wife and kids that the car is talking to us in R2D2 voice, saying "locked" 😁

200.gif?cid=6c09b95238tmvdvg9wconpvqohbm

 

If i am correct you have a w213 but that might not be your wife's car, that semi-ball shape actuator cost about $150 from stockist.

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged
On 4/3/2024 at 2:28 PM, Ct3833 said:

If i am correct you have a w213 but that might not be your wife's car, that semi-ball shape actuator cost about $150 from stockist.

not too bad

if it failed, I know where to look for sifu Ct3833 to guide me replacing it 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

@mcspiky 

It sounds like there might be moisture or debris causing the issue. Try using a dry cloth to clean the area around the mirror's hinges thoroughly. If the problem persists, it could be a mechanical issue that requires professional attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

 

On 4/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, scrapecar said:

@mcspiky 

It sounds like there might be moisture or debris causing the issue. Try using a dry cloth to clean the area around the mirror's hinges thoroughly. If the problem persists, it could be a mechanical issue that requires professional attention.

It has been days now since I last graciously sprayed it with WD-40 (I almost emptied the bottle!) but the issue still persists. 

I probably have it take a look by a mechanic as it bothers me too much. 🤨 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 4/4/2024 at 3:09 PM, mcspiky said:

 

It has been days now since I last graciously sprayed it with WD-40 (I almost emptied the bottle!) but the issue still persists. 

I probably have it take a look by a mechanic as it bothers me too much. 🤨 

WD-40 is useless.

You can try drip bicycle chain lube.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

After cleaning your car, it seems like there could be a few different reasons why your driver side mirror is making noise.
Water residue, loose components, electrical problems, mechanical wear, and professional inspection are possible causes.
Finally, even though WD-40 Specialist High Performance Silicone Lubricant is a fantastic option for lubricating moving components, it might not work in this specific situation.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged
On 4/4/2024 at 3:17 PM, inlinesix said:

WD-40 is useless.

You can try drip bicycle chain lube.

WD40 got many flavours now 😁

having said that, even with the correct lubricant, if the said lubricant is not applying to the right spot (i.e. spraying from outside without dismantling), it is as good as useless

car_photo_513661.jpg

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
On 4/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, Gnahp said:

WD40 got many flavours now 😁

having said that, even with the correct lubricant, if the said lubricant is not applying to the right spot (i.e. spraying from outside without dismantling), it is as good as useless

car_photo_513661.jpg

I would suggest to strip it down and grease it.

That’s another level of difficulty 

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged
On 4/4/2024 at 6:19 PM, inlinesix said:

I would suggest to strip it down and grease it.

That’s another level of difficulty 

yeah, spraying from the outside without stripping won't get baby 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...