Wheel Bearings, Shock Absorbers and Suspensions

6th Gear

Since my Honda Shuttle Hybrid hit 5 years and about 90k km, the rear and front shock absorbers are getting weak.  The Honda's shock absorbers don't really leak but their bouncy effects wore off gradually until they are no longer effective.  I bought the parts myself and got a workshop to install the rear set about 2 months ago.  This week I'm installing the front set since I can feel them failing.

I also changed my front and rear wheel bearings at the 5.5-year mark as my fuel efficiency dropped quite a bit.  Honda's wheel bearings don't give any audio warning when they are failing but the fuel efficiency drops significantly.  Since changing them a few days ago, my car runs smoother and I can get 1-2 km/L better fuel efficiency. 

So far the front suspension arms are okay.

Those driving Honda Shuttle should change their shock absorbers and wheel bearings after about 80k-90k km.  I will update the prices later.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Twincharged
On 6/3/2024 at 7:24 PM, awhtc said:

Since my Honda Shuttle Hybrid hit 5 years and about 90k km, the rear and front shock absorbers are getting weak.  The Honda's shock absorbers don't really leak but their bouncy effects wore off gradually until they are no longer effective.  I bought the parts myself and got a workshop to install the rear set about 2 months ago.  This week I'm installing the front set since I can feel them failing.

I also changed my front and rear wheel bearings at the 5.5-year mark as my fuel efficiency dropped quite a bit.  Honda's wheel bearings don't give any audio warning when they are failing but the fuel efficiency drops significantly.  Since changing them a few days ago, my car runs smoother and I can get 1-2 km/L better fuel efficiency. 

So far the front suspension arms are okay.

Those driving Honda Shuttle should change their shock absorbers and wheel bearings after about 80k-90k km.  I will update the prices later.

@RadXsaid,time to change Car.😁

• Haha! 9

Turbocharged

@awhtc what do u mean by 'getting weak'? my fit is going 6yrs with 76k and its still driving fine.

i'm trying to get a sensing from your observation to see if i need to change car. hahaha.

• Haha! 6

Supersonic
On 6/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, ER-3682 said:

@RadXsaid,time to change Car.😁

Smlj change bearings, shocks? The onli change that hantu knows is change car

• Haha! 3

6th Gear
On 6/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, Wildfaye29 said:

@awhtc what do u mean by 'getting weak'? my fit is going 6yrs with 76k and its still driving fine.

i'm trying to get a sensing from your observation to see if i need to change car. hahaha.

The shock absorbers cannot absorb the shock so well.  Hence, the chassis will sink more and rebound slowly over a hump or when entering a slope.

I just changed my shock absorbers today.  After changing, the handling and bounce effect improved a lot.

Below are the original Honda parts costs.  The installation costs $120 for front shock absorbers + $65 for wheel alignment. 

Front absorber: $195 x 2

Stopper: $16 x 2

Cover: $16 x 2

Bearing: $19 x 2

Top mounting: $20 x 2

For the rear shock absorbers, I changed them about 2 months ago and there were fewer parts and they were cheaper but I cannot remember the cost.

• Praise 5

6th Gear
On 6/4/2024 at 11:55 AM, Soya said:

Smlj change bearings, shocks? The onli change that hantu knows is change car

It is a little ring around 50 cents in size mounted near the top of the shock absorber assembly.  It might be to allow for slight torsion or rotation of the shock absorber to improve handling.  Many people missed these small parts and only changed the main strut.

• Praise 1

6th Gear

For the original Honda wheel bearings, here are my costs:

Front: $80 x 2

Rear: $180 x 2

Labour cost with wheel alignment is $316.

I did the wheel alignment again as above because the front suspension really could not make it after I did the bearings.  My mistake as I should have done both together to save the alignment cost.

But I'm very happy now as the EV mode of my hybrid car kicks in very fast due to low friction that allows the hybrid battery to be charged up very fast.  That is a lot of cost savings in fuel in the long run.

• Praise 3

6th Gear

I have not done my front suspension arms as the joints look good but I will change them next year and update here again 🙂

• Praise 1

6th Gear

Some photos to share: installing rear wheel bearing, new front shock absorber installed, old front shock absorbers taken out.

Bonus photo is air-con oil/gas recovering and topping up ($50).

IMG_20240531_133536.jpg

IMG_20240604_104517.jpg

IMG_20240604_104509.jpg

IMG_20240604_135253.jpg

• Praise 5

6th Gear
On 6/4/2024 at 5:15 PM, kobayashiGT said:

I like how you take care of your vehicle~! Kudos to you! 

Thank you.  I intend to renew the COE for this car for another 10 years in 2029.  It should last me for a few more years after I retire.

I maintained my previous Toyota Vios well too and I sold it for quite a decent price recently.  Coincidentally, I saw someone driving it on the road today.  It was a mixed feeling like when you bumped into your ex 😆

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 6/4/2024 at 9:59 PM, awhtc said:

Thank you.  I intend to renew the COE for this car for another 10 years in 2029. 

April 2029.

The cheapest COE every 10 years.

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

@awhtc thanks for your sharing! Pls share the part numbers too if you happen to have them.

Another question, springs don't need to change? I'm also planning ahead for future suspension replacement.

6th Gear
On 6/7/2024 at 10:29 AM, boonhat_91 said:

@awhtc thanks for your sharing! Pls share the part numbers too if you happen to have them.

Another question, springs don't need to change? I'm also planning ahead for future suspension replacement.

The springs are very tough and durable. It doesn't cross my mind to change them.

The suspension arms joints are much weaker though and they will twist or leak over the years. They also cost a bomb to change as my wallet is thin.

I will share the parts list later. Alternatively, you can just ask the stockist to give you the entire set of shock absorbers or wheel bearings i.e. they know what you are talking about.

Turbocharged
On 6/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, awhtc said:

The shock absorbers cannot absorb the shock so well.  Hence, the chassis will sink more and rebound slowly over a hump or when entering a slope.

I just changed my shock absorbers today.  After changing, the handling and bounce effect improved a lot.

Below are the original Honda parts costs.  The installation costs $120 for front shock absorbers + $65 for wheel alignment. 

Front absorber: $195 x 2

Stopper: $16 x 2

Cover: $16 x 2

Bearing: $19 x 2

Top mounting: $20 x 2

For the rear shock absorbers, I changed them about 2 months ago and there were fewer parts and they were cheaper but I cannot remember the cost.

Not sure how weak is weak but after close to 6 yrs and almost 80k, my suspension dun have any excessive rebound or nosedive of any sort.

I do cup cornar once in a while and drive fast and my estate has alot of hard plastic humps which i drive through daily.  also no visible leaks.

5yrs with 90k seems like avg sgp mileage. seems early to change shocks. is your driving style very aggressive? or u have excessive load in your car regularly?

Hypersonic
On 6/7/2024 at 10:29 AM, boonhat_91 said:

Workshop will say always also change the springs together... otherwise another labour cost later on...yada yada...

Springs are secondary...struts take on most of the undulating road bump...change the springs with matching struts only if you intend to lower the ride height...

Funniest thing i ever heard about lowering ride height was when someone asked for advice how to go about lowering a suv...walao... just buy a hatch lah 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
On 6/7/2024 at 7:48 PM, mersaylee said:

Workshop will say always also change the springs together... otherwise another labour cost later on...yada yada...

Springs are secondary...struts take on most of the undulating road bump...change the springs with matching struts only if you intend to lower the ride height...

Funniest thing i ever heard about lowering ride height was when someone asked for advice how to go about lowering a suv...walao... just buy a hatch lah 🤣

Any workshop in sg who says need to change springs around 100-150k km is a big CON! Springs really do not wear out unless really old like 15-20years or in countries with snow where they salt the roads and there will be rust damaged springs. 

• Praise 3

6th Gear
On 6/7/2024 at 5:57 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

Not sure how weak is weak but after close to 6 yrs and almost 80k, my suspension dun have any excessive rebound or nosedive of any sort.

I do cup cornar once in a while and drive fast and my estate has alot of hard plastic humps which i drive through daily.  also no visible leaks.

5yrs with 90k seems like avg sgp mileage. seems early to change shocks. is your driving style very aggressive? or u have excessive load in your car regularly?

The areas that I often drive such as Novena and Bishan are always under construction.

↡ Advertisement