Engine Oil Filter Heat Sink - Can DIY ?

Andrewkb

Neutral Newbie

Check this out guys ... it's sold in Japan.

Simple concept, just mount in onto your oil filter and it's blade will help cool the oil filter down. Just a simple heat sink concept.

Maybe a few CPU heatsink mount together also can ;-)

post-6-1059277612_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Just like heat sink in CPU and amplifiers .. hot engine oil is transmitting heat to the casing ... the blades simply let the casing cool faster loh

Neutral Newbie

Someone was saying can try to use the ATR cooler to cool engine oil.. was it U ?? Wonder if anyone tried. Figure that may be more effective if it works - since it's built like a mini-radiator.

Problem might be one of long warm up time... heard Cool complaining about this on Fri after water-wetter.

Neutral Newbie

Our radiator has ATF cooler built in (at the bottom part) .. I think maybe all does.

Since we've low temp thermostat, low temp fan switch, and Engine Ice (your case), WaterWetter (My case), it should be quite good already.

I didn't suggest it .. but I've heard about engine oil cooler too.

I do encounter slightly longer warm up, but anyhow, by the time I get out of my carpark and reach main road, the needle already at WARM UP point liao.

Last time was by the time I exit my carpark.

Neutral Newbie

You could be right - though am told that most cars ATF is kind of cooled by just a loop in front of the radiator or something like that. What is on the market as an ATF cooler is just a more elaborate thingy.

As to warm up for my car, hard to tell, never paid that much attention, but also didn't have any issues either.

Neutral Newbie

Digging out my microfitch again .. [sly]

According to the labels, the area circled in red are connected to the gearbox and the ATF flows into the lower part of the radiator for cooling !

BTW, This is our radiator

post-6-1059486172_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie

I doubt it's just a metal loop since we don't see the loop in front radiator/condensor.

Seems like Honda engineer does design their car with great thought !

EXCEPT MY TEMPERATURE IS SO HOT !!! 101degC !!!

Now that the thermostat help reduce temp, I guess it works on the ATF too [:)]

with your Buddy Club ECU, it would be better if after market ATF cooler is installed. I would definitely do it if I'm having the same car & setup as yours, or is it the way I drive sly.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

Well... guess you win some, you loose some. Clearly the guys at Honda didn't give the air intake on the Stream enough thought. Nor the exhaust system.