15" or 16" for Toyota Vios?

Le_jeune

Neutral Newbie

hi everyone,

i read the threads in this forum with enthusiasm everytime. the comments and discussions are very informative to a new driver like me. I have a VIOS and it runs on a 14" set of rims. i am thinking of upgrading the rims but could not decide whether i shld go up 1 or 2 sizes. has anyone upgraded from a 14" and how is it? pls advise? thks.

↡ Advertisement

hi. welcome here.

personal view: 16" should be much better lookin and handles better without too much noise and discomfort.

15"would be more fuel efficient.

but tink not much friends would notice yur 15" new rims...

Neutral Newbie

Go for a 16" if fuel consumption and ride comfort are not your main concern. Of course, your car will not feel as responsive as before being the increase in width of the tyres (wider contact pt.-> more friction -> more energy required to turn wheels).

Getting a 16" will improve your car's handling but only if you pair it with performance tyres. i tink most performance tyres now have some sort of steel inserts reinforcing the side walls, so when doing corners the side walls will not flex much. smile.gif

Neutral Newbie

IMO, 16" rims and tyres are much more expensive (at least $600 more?) than 15" ones. So you not only lose in ride comfort and fuel economy, but also got to pay more upfront and when changing tyres in the future. unsure.gif

Another consideration is that the rims/tyres should not look "too big" for the particular car, it should match nicely. I saw a 323 with 17" rims, and frankly, it's quite ugly. shakehead.gif So perhaps you may just want to go to the shop, find a rim design that you like. The staff could then place it beside your current wheel, and let you view from a distance to have an idea how a 15" or 16" would look like on your car.

My main reasons for changing from 14" to 15" was to enhance the looks, improve steering response and a much larger choice of tyres, esp. since most, if not all "performance tyres" start from 15".

And remember to post photos of your new rims/tyres when you change! smile.gif

Hi Le_Jeune,

First of all, Welcome to MCF, we hope you enjoy your stay here. [thumbsup]

Aside, I would advice you to go for 15". Like Flaser have also mentioned, 16" inch is much more costly. [:(]

I'm driving a 1.5cc car too, and I had upgraded my 13" to 15" instead of 16".

Edited by Gadgeter

Neutral Newbie

Hi Le_jeune,

Welcome to MCF.. [bounce2]

given the choice i would go for 15"..

But ultimately the choice is yours.

Happy rim shopping

I depends on 2 things, whether you want the 'choi' factor or fuel efficency factor. sly.gif

for 16" the tires will be more ex than the 15", the rims will also be heavier than 15", that's why it'll burn more petrol and not forgeting the ride on the 16" will be harder due to the lower profile. IMHO, all these for the 'chio-ness' of the rims is not worth it wink.gif

Of course the choice is still up to you nod.gif

Neutral Newbie

hi guys,

thank you for all your kind responses. the reasons why i wanted to change the rims & tyres are:

when i saw the back view of other vios running on the road with 14", dun like the way it looks.

the so called original 'sports rims' quoted by BM look so much like a set of normal rims

i have found out that the vios is good for going at high throttle speed during cornering during my test drive. so i am thinking of having bigger tyres for alightly more grip.

the oem tyres on the vios not really good. want to change to a better one.

however i am wondering if i shld trade in the new original rims & tyres immediately for new ones or shld i wear them till botak before i change. any comments on this? thks!

Neutral Newbie

Hi Le_Jeune,

Actually it's not the wider contact patch that gives you a better grip.

Can refer to the following for the explanation and other very useful info on tyres and wheels. I learnt a lot from there. smile.gif

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html

It'll be quite a while to wear the tyres down - normally 2 years, or 40,000Km? They are probably worth much more trade-in value when they're still relatively new.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Welcome to MCF,

Do join us for our weekly meetup...thumbsup.gif

For your car, 15" would be a nice compromise....thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

if you dun like the tyres and the rims, might as well trade in when it is relatively new... although trade in wun fetch a lot, at least still help to offset some amt for your new wheels and tyres...

what tyres you have in mind

Neutral Newbie

Hi vios owner, my auto black vios currently on a set of 16 inch rims with

205/50/16 tyres, very good handling and grip. Fuel consumption with the

following mods at 14km/L, 70% highway, 30% normal roads. mileage at 9000km

1)Syntehtic engine oil SAE 5-40 with molybednum disulphite additive

2)Iridium IK 20 spark plugs

3)DIY grounding standard 5 points

4)KNN filter

5)DIY cold air intake

6)Ferrite at spark plug cable

7)DIY magnets in fuel line (Not repelling but attracting as comsumption

of fuel will increase if put in repel mode)

8)Redline water wetter with distill water only in radiator(No glycol)

Neutral Newbie

hi,

14km/l for your vios running on 16" is really not bad. but i guess it's the other peripherals that u have added into your car such as filter, spark plugs that further enhance the fuel consumption rite? pls correct me if i am wrong. i was afraid that a 16" will really drain the fuel tank like crazy, but now yours have shown otherwise. thanks a lot man.

hi everyone,

i read the threads in this forum with enthusiasm everytime. the comments and discussions are very informative to a new driver like me. I have a VIOS and it runs on a 14" set of rims. i am thinking of upgrading the rims but could not decide whether i shld go up 1 or 2 sizes. has anyone upgraded from a 14" and how is it? pls advise? thks.

16" rim... 16" rim.... 16" rim!!! [thumbsup]

Vios should be fine with 205/45/16 correct?

Anyone on 17"? How is it like with 17 on a 2010 vios??

Thanks

may be can you elaborate what is your like ?

cost / power lost / drag / ride comfort / FC / look ?

trust me you cant have all above.

16 better than 17 overall(above) except the look 

if you little better comfort and ride on 16 , do consider tyre size 195/50/16

↡ Advertisement