Very Interesting Q&A about Engine Oils

Panda

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone,

There's a very interesting Q&A thingy by this person Ken4Camry at STC in Delphi.

For those who are patient to read through the many many postings, it can provide quite an insight to anyone interested.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SGToyota/messages?msg=14093.1

He might be in the chemical engineering related line. At least what he is interested in discussing is based on science and facts. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

It's hard to nail any expert down for conclusive advice on what sort of oil to use or not to use. If it's a commercially available product, and its nonsense, we have no worries as governing authorities will never have allowed them to be properly certified API/SAE etc etc. [;)]

There are just a few lessons I guess. [nod]

1. There is NO BEST BRAND. Best brands do not exist in engine oils thus far. Only a good product and a not so good product. [nod]

2. There is NO CHEAP GREEN AND BIG BIG BOOBSIES. There is a product for everyone. Just weigh priorities. To each his own man. [:)]

[:)]

It's hard to nail any expert down for conclusive advice on what sort of oil to use or not to use. If it's a commercially available product, and its nonsense, we have no worries as governing authorities will never have allowed them to be properly certified API/SAE etc etc. wink.gif

There are just a few lessons I guess. nod.gif

1. There is NO BEST BRAND. Best brands do not exist in engine oils thus far. Only a good product and a not so good product. nod.gif

2. There is NO CHEAP GREEN AND BIG BIG BOOBSIES. There is a product for everyone. Just weigh priorities. To each his own man. smile.gif

very well said nod.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

Well said indeed. Just to share a comment given to me by a mechanic couple of years ago.

He said to protect the engine, change the oil often and not necessary using best brand. Come to think of it, there is some true in his saying. How often do we go into the technical detail of the oil to detemine it quality? I would say most of us no. How often are you going to send your oil for proper test after every 5,000km? How much will this cost? Even if today oil is the best, as the engine get older, will the current brand oil be still the best?

We prefer to buy so call "best oil" and delay the oil change to 10,000km on the assumption that this brand will give the maximum protection. What if we buy "not so branded" oil but change it at say 5,000km instead? Which give the best protection? I am talking about synthetic oil here.

Technical details are probably for the hard core. Most of us just do not have the time and even extra money to go into such details. So we got to find a balance between best technical result, most practical and maximum engine protection.

I believe all synthetic oils should protect the engine best at the first 5,000km after changing. So why not buy a $40 plus synthetic oil and change at every 5,000km instead. The additional cost of oil changing, compare to 10,000km interval, is a small to price to pay. Of course it also depend on your usage, time availablity and where you change it. Bear in mind that we are protecting an engine that cost at least $60,000 plus. To me, it is worth the effort.

In short, to give the best engine protection, change oil at a shorter frequency. If anyone practise this theory and your car age is more than 5 years oil, please share your feeling with us.

Agreed with you, frequency is the main key factor here nod.gif as most of those synthetics do meet the needs of most of our road going/mass production cars sly.gif

Unless we are taking about racing a car on the tracks where the engines are practically rebuild after every race & a split seconds reduction in lap timing is crucial to winning a race, then it's very important in choosing the 'best of the best' in engine oil wink.gif