Parallel Importers: Recommended ones/ones to avoid

Linusloh

Supercharged

Please be very careful when buying cars from Abwin. Ordered  a Harrier @125K  when the COE was $47k in Apr. Dealer told me 6 bids guaranteed capped at $50K and rebate at $35K. During the 1st three bids, two of bids were below $50K. However, they did not bid as they think the price is going down further. Unfortunately, MAS eases car loans in May 2016, and the COE prices shot up! Now the car dealer, a PI, has the termerity to ask me to top up! They are greedy thinking the prices will go down further and wanted to make bigger profit, and now I must pay more? Eventually, they refund my deposits. Total disgusting behaviour and unprofessional. Let all car buyers beware of their unscrupulous tactics!

Bro move on....

Your unfortunate (not your fault) mistake is that PI use different terminology compared to normal AD agent. PI's "guaranteed" means AD's "non-guaranteed".

At least they never play tricks and did refund you the money without pattern. There are other reports where PIs refuse to refund and use different tricks to force buyer to topup eventually.

Can understand your high expectations turn to bitter hatred. I feel that you are more suited to buy from AD, where everything will be law-by-law. Please do not make same PI mistake again.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Generally speaking, if you are going PI, go for those with a track record and have been around a while.

I have bought twice from PIs, a RAV4 in 2002 and an Oddy this year, no problems.

We all want a car on the cheap But If a PI is selling a car very cheaply, Stop to think how the profit is going to made. If it is too good to be true, it usually is.

PB

• Praise 2

my friend just got her harrier last month, the PI asked for $4K top up which she agree cos she didn't want to wait, immediately after she signed the deal, the COE went up. i guess maybe they gave your order to her :D

Bro, maybe if u negotiate with the PI about the top up u already got ur car liao still better then the 10k difference now:)
  • Praise 2

Bro move on....

Your unfortunate (not your fault) mistake is that PI use different terminology compared to normal AD agent. PI's "guaranteed" means AD's "non-guaranteed".

At least they never play tricks and did refund you the money without pattern. There are other reports where PIs refuse to refund and use different tricks to force buyer to topup eventually.

Can understand your high expectations turn to bitter hatred. I feel that you are more suited to buy from AD, where everything will be law-by-law. Please do not make same PI mistake again.

Actually, last week Borneo Motors SE just ask many of their customers who book Toyota Wish at $104K (non guranteed) to top up another $4K for g'teed COE or go for another 6 bids.

If you did go down to Borneo Motors before, the sales people will tell you "Just go for the non-guaranteed package can liao." For them, it was once you sign with them, you'll sure get your car.

But now, no more. They also ask customers to top up.

Those of you that don't believe and want to verify, I got 3 person that I know who 2 of them just to up $4K with Borneo Motors and 1 of them decided to wait.

• Praise 1

Please be very careful when buying cars from Abwin. Ordered  a Harrier @125K  when the COE was $47k in Apr. Dealer told me 6 bids guaranteed capped at $50K and rebate at $35K. During the 1st three bids, two of bids were below $50K. However, they did not bid as they think the price is going down further. Unfortunately, MAS eases car loans in May 2016, and the COE prices shot up! Now the car dealer, a PI, has the termerity to ask me to top up! They are greedy thinking the prices will go down further and wanted to make bigger profit, and now I must pay more? Eventually, they refund my deposits. Total disgusting behaviour and unprofessional. Let all car buyers beware of their unscrupulous tactics!

COE rebate at $35K is very low. Plus they indicated that "6 bids guaranteed capped at $50K" and they have refunded you the deposit. If you were to get a lawyer to fight for you, the judge may rule that you are wasting his time + greedy and rule against you.

Technically speaking, based on what you stated about the agreement, was there anything on the agreement that they MUST give you the car when COE is < $50K? If your agreement is 3 bids guaranteed, then it would be their fault.

But like somebody mentioned here, you got your deposit, which is very good liao. Now just wait for COE to correct lor.

For COE, it is like stock market, it cannot keep going up indefinitely and vice versa. The easing of the loan only make sense if car price remains the same. Now that car price shot up + increase in interest rate, it basically dampened the "effect" of the loan easing.

If COE were to drops further, who knows MAS will change the rules again to 20%/30% for downpayment instead just to stabilise it.

• Praise 1

Hi All, thanks for all your comments but you may not get my point:

a. Not all PI are untrustworthy. I bought my current car from a PI and have no problem.

b. It's the perogative of the PI whether they want to bid or not within the 6 bids. It's a gamble they made and if the price went down further from their capped value, and if they bid at the lower price, they can take the profit as long as it is abov $35k. And if the bid price is above $50k, they have have the right not to bid unless I want to top up. That's all right as well. However, if the price is already below their stipulated ceiling price and they did not bid because they gambled that it will still go down but eventually it did not, I expect them to do the honourable thing and still bid for the COE. Otherwise, why should the buyer give them the deposit and they can do what they like and make a mockery out of the 6 bids, cap and rebate crap!

We all should support the trustworthy PI who provide genuine good service and not tolerate bad practices. If they think they can get away with it, this bad practice will continue and the business of all PI will suffer in future. Just like the Sim Lim Square saga, let the public be warned and bad practitioner beware. You may get away with it once in a while but not always. I noted CASE has created a black list of motor dealer. Kudos to them.

I think it common sense if PI stated that his price is based on xx amount and the buyer had put in a depisit than PI is oblign to bid. For whatever reason PI don't bid or bid lower than what they stated than they are not honouring the agreement.

Should bring the issue to CASE and seek their view. There are many honest PI out in the market but just because of a few black sheep the rest has to bear the bad reputation.

• Praise 2

Sharing personal experience.

Ordered a car from Z1on Auto with 6 bid guaranteed agreement. Wrote down the promised and agreed upon items in the sales agreement. Submitted a deposit. 3 days, SE called to say unable to fulfill order due to specified car unable to source. Was told car was 'ready stock' during purchase. (COE price went up in the meantime.) A few other items written in the sales agreement were unable to be fulfilled too. Advised to top up for an 'upgraded' model.  

When I disagreed with the top-up terms, they simply said, "Unable to source the car, what can I do?". I told them I was informed that it was 'ready stock' and the rebuttal was that it was a mistake on their part. Z1on Auto simply offered to cancel the order.

I took back my deposit within a week, after much pushing for the deposit. I took the deposit and turned my back without even considering compensation or penalty claims.

I consider myself lucky that the deal did not go through. Otherwise, I would have profited and completed the deal with such dishonest people. 

Sharing this info with bros here to prevent them from falling into their trap. Bona fide buyers, PM me for more info if required.

Supercharged

Sharing personal experience.

Ordered a car from Z1on Auto with 6 bid guaranteed agreement. Wrote down the promised and agreed upon items in the sales agreement. Submitted a deposit. 3 days, SE called to say unable to fulfill order due to specified car unable to source. Was told car was 'ready stock' during purchase. (COE price went up in the meantime.) A few other items written in the sales agreement were unable to be fulfilled too. Advised to top up for an 'upgraded' model.  

When I disagreed with the top-up terms, they simply said, "Unable to source the car, what can I do?". I told them I was informed that it was 'ready stock' and the rebuttal was that it was a mistake on their part. Z1on Auto simply offered to cancel the order.

I took back my deposit within a week, after much pushing for the deposit. I took the deposit and turned my back without even considering compensation or penalty claims.

I consider myself lucky that the deal did not go through. Otherwise, I would have profited and completed the deal with such dishonest people. 

Sharing this info with bros here to prevent them from falling into their trap. Bona fide buyers, PM me for more info if required.

Zion used to be highly recommended by many - there is 1 big supporter in the Harrier thread....

But as usual, any clean shop also can get dirty over time.... haiz

All dealers will tell you ready stocks and plenty of them inside their workshop / warehouse in order to get your order. Once deposit paid, will tell you stock delay, still pending Vitas, wait for this or that.

As a sales person, their job is to close your sales first, talk later!

At most cannot fulfill, refund deposit only. How many buyer are willing to engage lawyer to fight with them, remember they have plenty of cash to burn. Unless you are also rich man/woman or a lawyer yourself. Otherwise average folks will be happy to get back their deposit.

Just move on and get another car from local AD to have a piece of mind. 

• Praise 3

Yeah, that's what I did. Brought my business elsewhere. Paid a bit more but peace of mind is priceless.

Just wanted to share information so that no bros here get caught in their trap.

All dealers will tell you ready stocks and plenty of them inside their workshop / warehouse in order to get your order. Once deposit paid, will tell you stock delay, still pending Vitas, wait for this or that.

At most cannot fulfill, refund deposit only. How many buyer are willing to engage lawyer to fight with them, remember they have plenty of cash to burn. Unless you are also rich man/woman or a lawyer yourself. Otherwise average folks will be happy to get back their deposit.

I’m the average folk who is happy enough to get back my deposit after 2 months of saga.

On 2/April, PI offered me Honda Vezel (Blue) for $94K with 6 bid guaranteed. Paid $15K deposit and signed contract showing “COE package B” (didn’t know this refers to guaranteed COE). Few days after signing, I decided to change to Silver colour, PI let me signed revised contract showing “COE package C” (it stated non-guaranteed COE). After 1st COE bidding result showing as 46K, PI asked me to top up because the package cap at 40K. I rejected. 2nd COE bidding appeared as 47.3K, again PI asked me to top up, I agreed to top up $2K & PI to top up 1K changing the cap to 43K. 3rd COE resulted 47.9K, again PI asked me to top up further, I rejected. 4th Bidding dropped to 47K, still PI didn’t want to release the car to me. MAS changed regulation during end May. PI suggested to cancel the deal & I agreed. Got back my refund by Mid of June.

People will wonder why I noticed there was a change in the revised contract showing as “non-guaranteed COE” yet I still signed on it & never argue with the PI. IMHO, if the PI has the intention of cheating, it is best not to get the car from this PI anymore. I would not feel at ease if I receive my car from this PI especially, how I know whether will I get a good unit ? And with  the 3 years warranty period, having to go to their appointed service centre, I was afraid that they won’t provide good & reliable service as well.

I booked an Audi A3 Sedan with AD on 3/July and just 1 bidding, I got my car in 2 week time. Now I am driving it.

• Praise 1

Hi All, thanks for all your comments but you may not get my point:

a. Not all PI are untrustworthy. I bought my current car from a PI and have no problem.

b. It's the perogative of the PI whether they want to bid or not within the 6 bids. It's a gamble they made and if the price went down further from their capped value, and if they bid at the lower price, they can take the profit as long as it is abov $35k. And if the bid price is above $50k, they have have the right not to bid unless I want to top up. That's all right as well. However, if the price is already below their stipulated ceiling price and they did not bid because they gambled that it will still go down but eventually it did not, I expect them to do the honourable thing and still bid for the COE. Otherwise, why should the buyer give them the deposit and they can do what they like and make a mockery out of the 6 bids, cap and rebate crap!

We all should support the trustworthy PI who provide genuine good service and not tolerate bad practices. If they think they can get away with it, this bad practice will continue and the business of all PI will suffer in future. Just like the Sim Lim Square saga, let the public be warned and bad practitioner beware. You may get away with it once in a while but not always. I noted CASE has created a black list of motor dealer. Kudos to them.

Move on please. You are damn lucky that you got your deposit back. I'm not from Abwin but speaking from business point of view.

If all my customers come to me and say "hello, the agreement says that 6 bid guaranteed and below 50K", why would I even want to honour the deal if it went beyond 50k? I open business to make money, not lose money. Lose money I do for what?

I believe all the bros here agree that you are damn lucky to get back your deposit. I'll advise you to move on and don't waste even more money suing that PI. Their agreement definitely cover their backside, you are bound to lose, unless you are damn sure that you have read the entire agreement and this is a sure win case, else, don't take up additional queue at our court to hear this case.

Move on please. You are damn lucky that you got your deposit back. I'm not from Abwin but speaking from business point of view.

If all my customers come to me and say "hello, the agreement says that 6 bid guaranteed and below 50K", why would I even want to honour the deal if it went beyond 50k? I open business to make money, not lose money. Lose money I do for what?

I believe all the bros here agree that you are damn lucky to get back your deposit. I'll advise you to move on and don't waste even more money suing that PI. Their agreement definitely cover their backside, you are bound to lose, unless you are damn sure that you have read the entire agreement and this is a sure win case, else, don't take up additional queue at our court to hear this case.

Ya, I wouldn't want to waste time & effort to start a legal case for this. Such PI won't survive long.

(edited)

Thank you for your informative post. Please share which PI you are representing. This is so that bros here can make an informed decision to patronize your dealership or not.

Edited by Flying_genie

PI may not be true importers as some also get their stock from importers.

Go for those that import themselves as they have more say in their ex stocks.

yeah.... dont have time to waste, and wont want to spend my money engage lawyer or watever to fight them.. or waste time to report them... rather have a peace of mind, buy from AD ... 

Yeah, that's what I did. Brought my business elsewhere. Paid a bit more but peace of mind is priceless.

Just wanted to share information so that no bros here get caught in their trap.

yah... true..

• Praise 1

Thank you for your informative post. Please share which PI you are representing. This is so that bros here can make an informed decision to patronize your dealership or not.

I don't sell car. But from business perspective, nobody will do lose money business.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1