Parallel Importers: Recommended ones/ones to avoid

Linusloh

just heard on radio thay Jack Cars can handover car in 3 days after purchase ?

dunno is it their business getting gooder …. but they called me to remind and book my past 3 servicings near the servicing dates … but this time already past one week but still no call ...

think is those dealers who have ready stock... ready to hand over once loans approved.

↡ Advertisement

Saw on Stimes, PI car dealer "SG Vehicles chalked up a high volume of complaints over the years and has been blackmarked twice by the Consumers Association of Singapore."

People buying cars do take note. Dont become their victim

Saw on Stimes, PI car dealer "SG Vehicles chalked up a high volume of complaints over the years and has been blackmarked twice by the Consumers Association of Singapore."

I should say 90% of the PIs out there are "legitimate" loanshark selling and earning from loans rather than the car itself. 

The above case is a great example that the government continue to close one eye on them allowing them to CONTINUE to run their business.

CASE is pretty much useless since the consumer themselves have to seek Small Tribunal Claim. 

So the process of reporting to CASE does not mean they willl help you get your money back.

Is just a reporting center to alert and show that they are trying to protect consumers when shit happened. 

If you see the article it states over 9000MILLION in operating receipts were involved in 2017 and somehow the industry remains so poorly regulated till now.

Turbocharged

Here u go

Car importer SG Vehicles receives court order to stop unfair trade practices following complaints

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/car-importer-sg-vehicles-receives-court-order-to-stop-unfair-trade-practices-following?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=STFB&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR24qrVfrmGcbUkuhO5runAx53GXVrxyqLC3jwQFJW6XSDHk6Gh2zF18G98#Echobox=1555647824

Edited by Dafansu

As long as the mastermind of the culprits is not jailed, as far as she is concerned, 马照跑舞照跳,Simi unfair practice.

This is true. Gov should make them compulsory set aside assets and money to honour the warranty etc. Its very easy to close down the company if got cash flow problem, and dont need to answer to the warranties given to buyers. And next moment they can open another shop under using another name.

I should say 90% of the PIs out there are "legitimate" loanshark selling and earning from loans rather than the car itself. 

The above case is a great example that the government continue to close one eye on them allowing them to CONTINUE to run their business.

CASE is pretty much useless since the consumer themselves have to seek Small Tribunal Claim. 

So the process of reporting to CASE does not mean they willl help you get your money back.

Is just a reporting center to alert and show that they are trying to protect consumers when shit happened. 

If you see the article it states over 9000MILLION in operating receipts were involved in 2017 and somehow the industry remains so poorly regulated till now.

• Praise 1

Hi everyone, i am a PI and I just started this business not too long ago. Before i get flamed and burnt, I would like to point out that i am posting here just to get advice from the general public on the steps i can take for my company to improve and provide a good buying experience for buyers.

*I am not advertising my services here and in fact my nick has no relation to my company's name as well*

So certain things I would like to ask if :

1. Other than reputation, what other factors do you guys look for when choosing a PI?

2. My company is small and I personally do not believe in the showroom concept as I believe it is just adding cost to operating expenses
    and challenging the many other established dealers out there. So we work from an office. Is this an issue to buyers?

3. Re warranty, we purchase warranty from a few workshops and we want to provide the most comprehensive warranty out there even
    though it will add to our costs. How important is the "brand or name" of the warranty provider to you as a buyer?

4. Someone mentioned that small companies are not really trust worthy and I do hope that my company doesn't get striked off by a potential
    buyer just cos of that but i do understand that being a concern for some. What ways would you think we can use to earn the trust of buyers?

Just asking for advice guys so please do not flame me hor..

***Also, if inappropriate i would delete this post, just let me know please***

Edited by jlote

When I go buy from an PI with a guarantee of deposit back by a known bank or insurance company, that would be a big plus point.

Of course, deposit back means unable to secure the car in the stipulated time frame or the PI decided to pull the shuttle door at the front office.

Hi everyone, i am a PI and I just started this business not too long ago. Before i get flamed and burnt, I would like to point out that i am posting here just to get advice from the general public on the steps i can take for my company to improve and provide a good buying experience for buyers.

*I am not advertising my services here and in fact my nick has no relation to my company's name as well*

So certain things I would like to ask if :

1. Other than reputation, what other factors do you guys look for when choosing a PI?

2. My company is small and I personally do not believe in the showroom concept as I believe it is just adding cost to operating expenses

and challenging the many other established dealers out there. So we work from an office. Is this an issue to buyers?

3. Re warranty, we purchase warranty from a few workshops and we want to provide the most comprehensive warranty out there even

though it will add to our costs. How important is the "brand or name" of the warranty provider to you as a buyer?

4. Someone mentioned that small companies are not really trust worthy and I do hope that my company doesn't get striked off by a potential

buyer just cos of that but i do understand that being a concern for some. What ways would you think we can use to earn the trust of buyers?

Just asking for advice guys so please do not flame me hor..

***Also, if inappropriate i would delete this post, just let me know please***

customer/buyer wants assurance and not empty promise and empty words which many PI sales does.

delivery correct car specification as promise and deliver car on time.

Workshop warranty... do you have control ?

if the workshop "chu pattern" don't honor this or that as you read in this post..... can you made good your buyer?

if you can at least do the above 2 points...think word of mouth will spread for referral client and you will need to build your trust and referral network.

ensure you financially can survive the time taken for your network expansion for your biz.

otherwise, you are the same as any PI out there.

Deliver as promised. Make sure the company does not fly-by-night,  boss "run road" with buyers' deposits!

Edited by Fitvip

My PI just collected $2k booking fee and only collected $10k deposit for the COE bidding.

The security of deposit plus guarantee of delivery as per specifications are the most important aspect for me.

Hence, I will buy from a PI again for cost saving and availability of alternative models.

It is not a good time to set up a new PI as there is going to be lesser COEs for the next few years.

Put all deposits into escrow account, maybe can attract sceptical customers like me.

i think that might be a little costly but we can definitely talk to our financial people (i am quite clueless in this field except for loan matters ha)

Edited by jlote

Neutral Newbie

Recently I bought a car from Zion Auto, after 5 months, without bidding for COE, they told me I had to top up another $8k because the OMV of the car has increased. Has anybody faced such a request from other PI? Just because COE went up?

Edited by Verzion2

It can't be OMV as it does not fluctuate so much.  Likely it is due to COE.  Top-up could be more common for PIs selling bread and butter cars since they have smaller profit margin to buffer.

Check if there is a clause in the contract that limits the top-up.  If none, then it is a judgement call to top up or cancel the deal (if no penalty) and find another PI or AD.

My PI just collected $2k booking fee and only collected $10k deposit for the COE bidding.

The security of deposit plus guarantee of delivery as per specifications are the most important aspect for me.

Hence, I will buy from a PI again for cost saving and availability of alternative models.

It is not a good time to set up a new PI as there is going to be lesser COEs for the next few years.

mine was 2k or 2.5k deposit (I don't remember). top up another 12k plus for coe. Balance paid 3 days before collection of cars. cheque payment. once clear ownership was transfered on the same day. collected the car next following day.

the down side workshop can't compare with AD.

another plus recall repair was done after 2 and 1/2 years of ownership. foc.

It can't be OMV as it does not fluctuate so much. Likely it is due to COE. Top-up could be more common for PIs selling bread and butter cars since they have smaller profit margin to buffer.

Check if there is a clause in the contract that limits the top-up. If none, then it is a judgement call to top up or cancel the deal (if no penalty) and find another PI or AD.

zion not small amongst PI.

likely to be non guarantee coe.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

mine was 2k or 2.5k deposit (I don't remember). top up another 12k plus for coe. Balance paid 3 days before collection of cars. cheque payment. once clear ownership was transfered on the same day. collected the car next following day.

the down side workshop can't compare with AD.

another plus recall repair was done after 2 and 1/2 years of ownership. foc.

zion not small amongst PI.

likely to be non guarantee coe.

Your PI deserved to be mentioned here .

Recently I bought a car from Zion Auto, after 5 months, without bidding for COE, they told me I had to top up another $8k because the OMV of the car has increased. Has anybody faced such a request from other PI? Just because COE went up?

Recently COE has been on the up trend , to be asked by PI to top up is common during COE uptrend because they do not have that much margin to play with.
  • Praise 1

It can't be OMV as it does not fluctuate so much. Likely it is due to COE. Top-up could be more common for PIs selling bread and butter cars since they have smaller profit margin to buffer.

Check if there is a clause in the contract that limits the top-up. If none, then it is a judgement call to top up or cancel the deal (if no penalty) and find another PI or AD.

when I brought mine from PI, I just told them the expected date of delivery. accessories, insurance company and negotiated on the price. No mention of coe what guarantee or non guarantee at all.

in fact the piece of paper if want to call that purchase agreement it look like those zhi cha stall carbonate receipt. hahaha

I collected my ride 3 weeks earlier before the expected delivery date.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement