Parallel Importers: Recommended ones/ones to avoid

Linusloh

A friend of mine bought a mercedes coupe from them( I remember c 200) three or four years ago, quite smooth experience too.

Yup they are one of the renowned ones. They were one of my intended PIs before I settled on another company. Edited by strindt
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

These Parallel Importers still use 1960's tactics to try to trick you into a purchase.  

I just inquired a car model from 3 different PIs on their website, all whom listed available stocks of that model on SGCarmart.  Because all the PIs offer 5 or 10 years on warranty, I decided only to ask those who had been in operation for at least that long.  I said I wanted only to see ready stock with VAC for immediate purchase.

One did not reply.

Only one of them actually had the cars in the showroom to see, but the cars had been VAC'ed more than six months ago and were sitting there with a dead battery.  Nonetheless, lackluster interest from salesperson to the extent that I walked out.  Strange thing is that I can see their cars listed on SGCarmart under the 'used car' section, with registration date Apr 2019, May 2019 etc.  Maybe more experience bros here can tell me what that means in terms of expecting to be the first owner of the car?

The second contacted me via Whatsapp, said they had one ready unit, would bring me to their stock to view.  When I got there with family, all he did was to aggressively push their 'super year end promotion' Mercedes GLA.  When questioned about the car, tried to dodge with

a) car was already booked by someone and waiting for loan approval

b) can't see the car anyway because you don't know how dirty the stock room is and it's really not clean and you don't want to bring your family there

This sort of 'bait and switch' ah beng tactic belongs in the 1960s.  It's an immediate turn off and this is the only conclusion I can come to:

1) if they can lie to get you into the showroom they can lie about anything

2) nothing they promise on the deal can be trusted

3) nothing they promise on the warranty can be trusted

I really don't know why anyone would engage with parallel importers any more.  I bought my last car from a PI but luckily didn't get burnt (yet).  Still have to see what happens if I ever have a warranty claim.

Edited by Nostalgia
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Nostalgia said:

These Parallel Importers still use 1960's tactics to try to trick you into a purchase.  

I just inquired a car model from 3 different PIs on their website, all whom listed available stocks of that model on SGCarmart.  Because all the PIs offer 5 or 10 years on warranty, I decided only to ask those who had been in operation for at least that long.  I said I wanted only to see ready stock with VAC for immediate purchase.

One did not reply.

Only one of them actually had the cars in the showroom to see, but the cars had been VAC'ed more than six months ago and were sitting there with a dead battery.  Nonetheless, lackluster interest from salesperson to the extent that I walked out.  Strange thing is that I can see their cars listed on SGCarmart under the 'used car' section, with registration date Apr 2019, May 2019 etc.  Maybe more experience bros here can tell me what that means in terms of expecting to be the first owner of the car?

The second contacted me via Whatsapp, said they had one ready unit, would bring me to their stock to view.  When I got there with family, all he did was to aggressively push their 'super year end promotion' Mercedes GLA.  When questioned about the car, tried to dodge with

a) car was already booked by someone and waiting for loan approval

b) can't see the car anyway because you don't know how dirty the stock room is and it's really not clean and you don't want to bring your family there

This sort of 'bait and switch' ah beng tactic belongs in the 1960s.  It's an immediate turn off and this is the only conclusion I can come to:

1) if they can lie to get you into the showroom they can lie about anything

2) nothing they promise on the deal can be trusted

3) nothing they promise on the warranty can be trusted

I really don't know why anyone would engage with parallel importers any more.  I bought my last car from a PI but luckily didn't get burnt (yet).  Still have to see what happens if I ever have a warranty claim.

Name them.  No point talking so much right?

After reading reviews here, decided to get from Vincar.

Collected my B-B car from Vincar, although found is about 2k higher price than other smaller PI, but atleast have pace of mind 😅 no need scare non delivery or deposit runaway.

1st time buying fr PI. After cyclecarriage and komoco for previous ride.

Car delivered as promise, smooth transaction, just 10k deposit by creditcard, balance only need pay before registration. 🥳

20200101_104246.jpg

Edited by Koreancarsg
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Noob here- but do PIs have test drive units? I’m interested in Honda Fit, looking at the bigger reputable PIs in this thread. 

Neutral Newbie

Hello all! 
I went to one PI recently to buy a new car. But that’s not my point of posting here. 
I told them that I have existing coe car to scrap. So they offer to scrap but there will be a 1% paperwork fee (or whatever admin fee there is) charge. He said 1% is very low, some even charge up to 5% fee and that this is the norm everywhere. Is this true? 

ps: sorry if out of topic 😬

3 hours ago, Parfait said:

Hello all! 
I went to one PI recently to buy a new car. But that’s not my point of posting here. 
I told them that I have existing coe car to scrap. So they offer to scrap but there will be a 1% paperwork fee (or whatever admin fee there is) charge. He said 1% is very low, some even charge up to 5% fee and that this is the norm everywhere. Is this true? 

Years ago. LTA already started to issue monetary payment to owner who scarped the car.. 

U can read up on onemotoring on how to scrap your vehicle. 

Way back in 2016. I have to request a pin from LTA thru onemotoring. (log in thru singpass) after getting  tpin. Then drive down to the appointed scarp yard and they will handle the rest. U save your 1%.. 

• Praise 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, Parfait said:

Hello all! 

Tell him fly kites. This practice is long abolished ever since LTA started returning parf in cash to owners. 

• Praise 1

I see quite a few new 2020 (Mar - Aug) luxury cars that are marked as used cars on sale by different PIs at with good discounts. 

Can't figure out why there would be so many cars that are only 1 or 2 months old on sale by PI, is it safe to consider such cars? Or is this just a gimmick to draw customers?