Thule or other options?

Madarmour

Anyone of you familiar with car roof racks? I've only heard of Thule. I'm thinking of getting a roof rack system to carry a bike. Any suggestions will be welcomed, especially more competitively priced than Thule..... Thanks.

post-1-1062930211_thumb.gif

post-1-1062930212_thumb.gif

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I am using the Thule roof rack on my focus, and compared to the generic-fit-all racks, I have to say that you really pay for what you get.

The basic rack without the bike rails will run you up to about S$400. And depending on your choice of rails, and how many bikes you intend to mount, total startup cost should be around S$700 to S$1000.

Once pro-rv has done the basic adjustment and fitting for your car; taking it off and putting it back is a breeze, should not take you more than 5 min, and the rubber footing prevents scratches to your roof even if you regular remove it.

I would recommend using the roof rack for long distance trips, eg. going up to m'sia or when you want a peace of mind after your ride, when you park at a carpark and take a bite. Otherwise for local rides, a rear rack would suffice.

>>and compared to the generic-fit-all racks, I have to say that you really pay for what you get.

The question is......is there an option at all? [sweatdrop]

Thanks for your reply! [thumbsup] I guess Thule is the gold standard in car racks! In my case, it's for local use but installing Thule gives me an option to go for one of their roof boxes which will enable me to bring back half of Malaysia! [sly][;)]

Turbocharged

If you are going for the aero bars, get an additional rubber strip from them if possible. This will help you *remember* the placement of your bike rails and carrier box as you switch between them.

Neutral Newbie

Beware his knife is sharp at times on certain items. Test water then proceed on to Lian Siong to compare as they do have Thule too. I think ProRV Thule came from there.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Have you bought the roof rack yet?

My bikes (on their racks at home) have become art pieces for the past 2 years [sweatdrop][laugh][shakehead] .... now time to loose some weight so thinking of getting a bike rack for the car myself. [;)]

Edited by Cool_jazz

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Nope, has decided against roof racks. Staying put with rear racks.

Edited by Mikeckchong

Neutral Newbie

Ppl who has the rack told me about the chore of installing and removing the rack. [shakehead] There's also significant turbulence even without bikes attached. [thumbsdown]