Rusty Drum Brakes

Darkness

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, noticed that my rear drum brakes are getting rusty. How can I get rid of the rust (and keep it rust free). Also, can the drum itself be painted in a anti rust paint(like caliper)? If so where can I get it painted.

Thanks

Cheers

Vignes

↡ Advertisement

Hi Vignes, welcome to MCF!

Brake drums tend to rust as they are mostly just plain steel. Your best bet is to sand the off rust as clean as possible then spray a anti-rust high heat resistant enamel (like BBQ paint) to prevent the rust from building again.

[;)]

Neutral Newbie

Hi Vignes, welcome to MCF...

The rust can be easily removed. What I did was:

1. Remove wheels

2. Sand the rusted surface for preparation of new paint

3. Clean thoroughly with abit of soap and rinse with clear water

4. Wipe dry and ready for new spray paint

5. Sprayed it with any balck paint will do, no need for heat or rust resistant

U may howver use the undercoat spray instaed of normal paint. What I used was metallic silver, to look abit like 'disc'....

I am planing to use Hammerite High Heat Paint (600c). Do you think that is ok? [:p]

Also did ur painted rear drums ever peel off....urs is normal non high temp paint right?

Edited by Darkness

Hi all, noticed that my rear drum brakes are getting rusty. How can I get rid of the rust (and keep it rust free). Also, can the drum itself be painted in a anti rust paint(like caliper)? If so where can I get it painted.

Thanks

Cheers

Vignes

When do we actually chge the brake drum,my mileage is currently 69000km,have not touch my drum b4.Is it the correct time to chge,or I wait till next servicing @76000km.

Bro, the rear brake drum can actually last for a very long time [nod][nod][nod]

When i change it at 80K servicing for my previous Sunny, the brake at least still got left about 30% plus [nod][nod][nod]

However, to play safe you may wanna ask the mechanics to open up the drum & check for you in your next coming servicing [:)]

↡ Advertisement