Advices Needed

Grief

Neutral Newbie

I am new here ... have been trying to post on some forums to get as much info as I could [thumbsup] ( [sly] a bit lazy so alot of cut & paste here)

Have been looking at a few cars but can't really decide for one [dizzy]

I am looking for a car that is fuel efficient, spacious (fit 5 adults comfortably), <1.6, reasonable pricing and reliable. Feel like getting a Manual one but others advised for Auto, *hai* which is better? Some say after using Auto you would not want to go back Manual?

Should I get a a New one or 2nd Hand (say <24mths) or < 5yrs or a >10yrs car (COE car) for day to day use? One of the drivers to this car has not got her license and the other one (that's me) have never own a car but had driven on/off using other peoples' car but have ride for >5years. Therefore, overall can say not very "steady" on car (coz like newbie) but of course not dangerous or reckless (therefore considering also for 2nd Hand or should go for New as long as we could afford it??).

Some models on my mind:

1) Toyota - Vios (~$65138A) or Corolla (only available is ALTIS ~$73988A which is 1.6...ALTIS good same as previous model???)

2) Honda - Jazz (~$72500A) or City (~$69500A but City look really ugly and I also notice the "metals" feel so light when I open the doors)

3) Nissan - Sunny ( (~$70000A/EX or ~$76500 A/SS) look ugly on its butt & does its rear drum brake a bad idea? but is Jap made?)

4) Mazda - 323 (~$69888A)

5) Hyundai - Matrix (~$67888A 1.6 GLS)

Some suggested 1.3L Turbo charged Daihatsu YRV & Suzuki Ignis GT and Proton Wira...& personally I find Honda City's body a bit light like easy to "crush" [lipsrsealed] (sorry no offence)... how fuel economy is IDSI engine compare to Toyota VVTI?

Also read from some posts here that Thai made Toyota may not be a good choice or the value may drop.

As I am not that familiar to drive and another driver is new, should we consider <24mths car or COE car? Will not so heart pain if anything (*touchwood*) happens.

Need advices on what are their pros and cons pls. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Grief
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Grief, welcome to MCF, Enjoy yr stay here [bounce1][bounce1]

I may be bias but I would go for Corolla or Jazz, both have superb fuel economy. Not sure abt Thai Altis though, but I think shouldnt differs that much since using same engine as Jap made.

Then again, Gad will say my Corolla is like any other cabs too many on S'pore roads. [rifle]

Aiks yr other driver no license yet??? Better dont drive first hor..but with yr 5 years experience and on off driving should be ok, just familiarise with yr car first.

Test drive all to see which meets yr demand [nod]

Hi Grief.

You can weigh pros & cons till the cows come home (like i did), but you must test drive all your options!...After you've short-listed, test them again! In the end, i went with my heart (fortunately or unfortunately), but no regrets yet heh!

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

I would like to dearly help you out. I know the kind of dilemma you are in. But to type it all here ..... I'd probably have to write a full chapter. [bigcry][bigcry]

This is what I can suggest :-

All the cars are in this forum, including mine. We meetup every Friday at 9:30 pm onwards at Bishan Golf Range. I head down once every fortnight if I can help it. [:/]

I can start u off with choice no 4 (The Mazda 323). Come down and I will tell u everything good and bad about the 323. But let me talk, dun let me type or I go [dizzy] . Then I can take u for a ride in my TarzanBoy and let u feel yourself and make your own judgement from there. [cool]

I am sure other members with Corollas, Jazzers, Sunnies, and Matrixes would be glad to help out as well with their own point of views. [nod][nod]

Thus I can only help you if u come down for our meetup ... no effort no gain. And dun worry, we are a mature group so dun expect punky young boys driving Daddies cars greeting you. [shocked]

Come on down bro .... [nod]

ps : Tell me when u coming and I will make my way down. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Welcome to MCF wink.gif

Seems like quite a few people is looking into owning a car tongue.gifwink.gif

Normally manual gear box lasts longer than auto trannys and consumption for manual is betterwink.gif

As I have mentioned in another thread, do be careful when you are buying a brand new car as the parf structure have changed since then sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif You should go for test drives to determine which suits you best wink.gif

Do join us for our weekly meetups to discuss further and check out other cars. wink.gif

"....And dun worry, we are a mature group so dun expect punky young boys driving Daddies cars greeting you....."..ERm...u forgot Gadgeter..lipsrsealed.gifrolleyes.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hi Grief, welcome to MCF..myadvise goes like this, [ol] [*]Workout ur budget, get an idea on what you are willing to spend on a car, and give it arnd 20% more...for 'extra' stuff. The car is not about payments onli [*]Geta feel of what you want, and go walk around, take ur time, it is on ur side in these mkt conditions... do call us if you want assistance, we will gladly mobilise those who are near [*]From ur list, I would go for 2nd hand one..as they are soo much cheaper nowadays, furthermore, you are a new driver, think there would be less of a dep there[/ol]

My choice for u would be a 1-2 yr old corolla or a 323..look for one arnd that range

hope that helps...I am no expert, but this has been my guiding force thru all the time i bought my cars

Oh..one more thing, when u go to car dealers u shld behave like: [ol] [*]u drink engine oilsly.gif [*]u noe cars inside out..bang doors and check under, inside outside [*]talk lingo that confuses them..then they will shut upsly.gif and not do too much of a sale [*]CALL anyone of us, we will most gladly assist uthumbsup.gif[/ol]

Best of luck in ur search

Neutral Newbie

"....And dun worry, we are a mature group so dun expect punky young boys driving Daddies cars greeting you....."..ERm...u forgot Gadgeter..

Gadget is a bit punky and funky , a bit only lah .... but he driving own car [nod][nod]

He can be engaged in a mature conversation u know [nod][nod][thumbsup]

"....And dun worry, we are a mature group so dun expect punky young boys driving Daddies cars greeting you....."..ERm...u forgot Gadgeter..

Gadget is a bit punky and funky , a bit only lah .... but he driving own car nod.gifnod.gif

He can be engaged in a mature conversation u know nod.gifnod.gifthumbsup.gif .."

laugh.giflaugh.gifthumbsup.gifEh, Gadgie, is deceiving looking...he looks dat 'punky', but there is more to him dah..thumbsup.gifhe is one of de movers here..nod.gifand yeah, he earns his OWN car as opposed to waht I think you are referring to..Posted Image

As for conversation,Posted Imagei alwes say, he is one of the more 'stable-headed' characters..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

and i see to wat u are getting at....cheers mate!Posted ImageThsi fri coming??

For me, if go to car centres, I'll bring a friend along.

Inspect front and back of car, esp boot/bonnet covers (underside) and bumpers for misalignments etc.

Do it quietly and act very 'zhai'. Whisper to friend occasionally by pulling him aside. Frown, shake head, nod...whatever but don be too eager! Salesmen get edgy when they donno what u talking about... [dizzy]

if sitting 5 adults comfortably is your top priority, then Corolla Altis is the only choice in your list nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif Honda Civic do also have room for 5 & also the rear floor is flat, can definately sits 3 at the rear without having the center person 'splitting' his or her legs as in Corolla Altis laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

just like some member suggested, go for a test drive before you shortlist the choice from the list that you have, remember you have to 'feel' good when you drive it every day nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif Don't buy a car & then felt that you should have bought some other model sweatdrop.gifPosted ImagePosted Image

oh and about this "Some say after using Auto you would not want to go back Manual?" well, it didn't work for me, Manual is still the only way to go Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Then again, Gad will say my Corolla is like any other cabs too many on S'pore roads. rifle.gif

Actually, come to think of it, I also agreed with him laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Then I can take u for a ride in my TarzanBoy and let u feel yourself and make your own judgement from there. cool.gif

why only yours, mine can also, right sly.gifsly.gifsly.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

To be able to be a taxi kind of means that the car is durable enough for a > 8hr per day abuse, am I right? Then again, they probably using diesel, unlike the ones we buy here, which is more likely petrol, so apple and orange comparision. Still can compare the durability of parts other then engine I guess..

↡ Advertisement