Still blurrzz on wat to get for 1st car (aka family car)

Gunzy

Good day to all,

I have been reading up since my family decided to get a family car soonz...

But somehow still undecided and torn between new and parf cars,

hence would like to seek some advises here [nod]

-Actually looking for a budget car with lowest depreciation per year( 1.5A or 1.6A to cater for at least 4 adults)

-considering suzuki liana hatch 1.6A for new car

-considering parf cars left with 3 - 5 yrs for 2nd hand car

for example is the deal below reasonable? :

1.5 Auto Toyota Soluna, very good condition with new absorbers and filter replaced in August and regular servicing. Road tax just renewed till 25 Jun 04. Silver colour. Viewing available only for serious buyers. Asking S$37,000 sms 92746533

high scrap low depreciation. Upon scrap on 25June 2008 can get back about $14000

-Was hesitant on new cars coz i think i 'buey zai' as i only have little driving experience

-Was hesitant on parf cars becoz it seems so 'chim' to actually inspect the car and also to get a trustworthy dealer

Hereforth, hope bro and sis here can help me get rid of this dilemma[laugh]

cheers

↡ Advertisement

Hi, buying a car is not easy, especially a 2nd hand car. Since u mentioned that u only have little driving experience, I think a 2nd hand car will be better for u. If you are consider to get 2nd hand car, maybe you can request the owner to send his/her car for inspection (of course u have to pay for it) to see whether the car is still in good condition or not. Just my suggestion!

to me, buying brand new is juz about affordability!

If u have been taking lessons around Euno/Ubi area, u r ready!!! No such thing as buay zai coz as long as u don drive on regular basis, sure like that.

When I try to drive company van after yrs of autocar, 1st thing I did was stalled the van!! [thumbsdown]

anyway, whether brand new or used, it's still a 'new' car! any scratch/dent hurt juz as bad!

New cars r good! u don inherit other people problems! n u kinda pay a higher price in instalment. quite painful to have to fork a few hundred here & there to replace tires or suspensions or worse, some engine or autogear problems!

Thanks Owen_fan and Kopi_peng,

But i worry is, if we decide to change within 3 yrs, then the loss will be greater

for new car than parf car rite? considering the new rebate system..... [sweatdrop]

i have just been talking to a friend who also is first time buyer and feels he buay zai.......let me just repeat what i said to him

List out in order of priority your concerns:-eg

price, risk, resale, safety, handling, fuel economy, financing, etc

then its easier to advise you.

What i can say in general is don't fall into trap of 1 dimensional analysis. I know of a lot of people saying it does not make sense to buy resale cars now blah blah.....I do understand their reasons, but they did not adequately considered other issues eg:

1)Risk (time horizon)

2)Financing

For risk, as you have rightly pointed out, there will be greater losses if you forced to changed car within 3 yrs of the new car's life. Resale cars have less of this problem as generally most of such risks has been paid for by the 1st owner.

For interest, many people will say new car 2.6%, old car 3%, doesn't make sense to buy old car. But absolute interest is a function of both sum borrowed and interest rate....so for old cars, the sum borrowed is smaller so the absolute interest paid might be lower despite the higher interest rate.

Like i say again, know what you want and plan for what you need. Don't rely on others to tell you low interest rate, new car got warranty blah blah to make the decision.

Neutral Newbie

Welcome to MCF smile.gif

Think this question have been discussed quite often tongue.gif Work your sums carefully as buying new cars now falls under the new scheme sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif U might lose alot if you decide to sell later after 3 years, most importantly will be to find a buyer tongue.gifsweatdrop.gif

So come for our weekly meetup this friday to discuss further wink.gif

Good day to all,

I have been reading up since my family decided to get a family car soonz...

But somehow still undecided and torn between new and parf cars,

hence would like to seek some advises here nod.gif

-Actually looking for a budget car with lowest depreciation per year( 1.5A or 1.6A to cater for at least 4 adults)

-considering suzuki liana hatch 1.6A for new car

-considering parf cars left with 3 - 5 yrs for 2nd hand car

for example is the deal below reasonable? :

1.5 Auto Toyota Soluna, very good condition with new absorbers and filter replaced in August and regular servicing. Road tax just renewed till 25 Jun 04. Silver colour. Viewing available only for serious buyers. Asking S$37,000 sms 92746533

high scrap low depreciation. Upon scrap on 25June 2008 can get back about $14000

-Was hesitant on new cars coz i think i 'buey zai' as i only have little driving experience

-Was hesitant on parf cars becoz it seems so 'chim' to actually inspect the car and also to get a trustworthy dealer

Hereforth, hope bro and sis here can help me get rid of this dilemmalaugh.gif

cheers

Hi Gunzy,

welcome to MCF...see my post in the 'advices' thread...hope that can be of assistance to ya..laugh.gif

Best of luck in ur search..thumbsup.gif

greater loss if sell after 3 yrs?

at the moment, yes. this is partly becoz the COE has been sliding slowly over the last 3 yrs.

Around Jan 00, COE was as high as $45k. Jan 03 was around $28k. Now..$25k?

Due to the drop, resale cars r no longer attractive as compared to brand new so the great loss if u were to sell a 3 yr old car now.

In any case, if this is a major concern, then better buy used cars.

Thanks for ur warm welcome [:)]

Yah, in fact i've went thru most of these help threads [:p] but we're still undecided that's y posted a new one to seek more [scholar] advise [nod]

yeh! got my license from ubi last time [nod]

Anyway, after reading thru so much of advises, i guess used car is the better choice for us.. [:p] juz that it will be tedious to source for a reliable dealer/seller, furthermore,i know nuts (or a little after reading up) abt cars [blush][blush] [blush]

but i understand that matrix is very thirsty...drink like a 2L car.

anyway, the oldest matrix is probably less than 3 yrs old...too soon to tell.

if getting a used car, look at 2-3 yrs old sunny or corolla. safe bets!

if consumption is a major concern, then better corolla...or maybe the sunny VIP.

Neutral Newbie

Think with current market condition its better to get 2nd hand cars. Try to narrow down what car you want so you can start your searching wink.gif that would be the interesting part tongue.gif Once you have decided what car then just let us know, so bros/sis here can help you look out wink.gif

although tedious i think it will be fun and rewarding.

narrow down your search and ask for some brothers here to help you loh.....should not be much of a problem.

what car u searching for?

why not hang out at car showroom like used car dealers and see if got ppl sell to u... [laugh][knife]

Edited by Kopi_peng
↡ Advertisement