Sound when going over hump

Eko6

Hi all,

May I checked with those who have experienced this before? When my car go over a hump, there is a "clog" sound coming from the front. The car is about 3 yr old and only started this a few months back. I checked the suspension by pressing it down and let go, it is not bouncing.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

It is not bouncing? [shocked] I would have thought that it would be bouncing too much. I also have this problem and after went back to agent they replace the lower arm for me. What is your car? Mine a Mondy.

Neutral Newbie

suspension not bouncing?

stock suspension? should be bouncing since manufacturer always tend to make softer suspension unless you changed to performance suspension.

prob your suspension gone case liao. go over humps and bumps on the road tyres kena your fenda?

I mean when I press and release, it will go back to the original height. It does not bounce up and down a few times, which if it does it means suspension due for replacement.

i tink mondeo owners used to have this problem...everitime go over the hump there's the clog sound...

and found out frm the SE dat itz actually the lower arm of the suspension dat is creating the noise and had the whole of it changed [thumbsup]

There are many parts in the suspension that can make a knocking sound. The spring mount is a primary culprit as a broken one will send the rubber spring seat to knock against the chassis.

There's also the anti-roll bar link, control arm and sway bar bushing to consider.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Whenever my car goes over those speeding stripes, there's this loud "thug thug" sound coming from the rear. Check with car agent & they claim that it is normal due to the "harder shocks". It is definitely not tyre related as I've just change to brand new tyres. Any ways to improve this situation? BTW, going over hump is a breeze.

Hi Steven, our Focus does have rather firmer suspension than most Jap saloons. Also, sound insulation from road and suspension noise isn't that great, so we will tend to hear some thuds going over speed humps. Mine gets the added rubbing noise of my child's car seat [laugh]

What's the recommended tire pressure? You may want to lower 1 or 2 psi and try the ride for a couple of days. I do not recommend running under manufacturer spec tire pressures but lowering the pressure (especially if overpumped) may help.

Factory shocks are decent enough, no point spending the extra $$ to get a "softer" shock. The only ride comfort shock I can think of is Monroe Sensa-trac but heard not too positive reviews about it.

Neutral Newbie

Recommended tyre pressure is 34psi & I'm now on 30psi. Not sure any mechanic (other than agents) can do a confirmation test on it because I tend to find that agent is more biased & every problem brought up to their attention is "not a problem" to them. Hmm.......... maybe i got high expection

↡ Advertisement