BRake ROtors

Cool

Neutral Newbie

All,

Does changing to Bigger Brake Rotor but still maintaining the old brake calipers gives better performance ??

[shocked][crazy][gossip]

Edited by Cool
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Friend.. I really don't understand.

But BVO Automotive Bernard claims it does.

Maybe I got it wrong.. if you could, can you call him and clarify 6455 1566 if it is not much of a trouble [:)][:)] .

I really know nuts [crazy] about this.. seriously thinking of changing my rotors once myTRD brakepad wears out.

Neutral Newbie

Good idea.. drop you a private msg.

Private Msg me your mobile.. what time ???

Neutral Newbie

Yes, done on my brick.

From stock 280mm rotors changed to 302mm.

What was done is the caliper bracket is a larger piece so it raised the caliper higher to clear the larger rotor.

This upgrade enables the rotor to have more cooling surface thus reducing brake fade and ultimately rotor warpage.

My was done by SM Motors FOC when I complained brake warp under warranty. [thumbsup]

Point to note is your rims must be big enough to clear the larger rotor/caliper assembly.

Neutral Newbie

I don't actually think there's any benefit from changing a bigger rotor while leaving the caliper stock. Area of contact remains the same so braking power shuold remain the same. You'll get additional unsprung weight from the heavier rotors, though. [;)]

IMO, a bigger rotor should go with bigger caliper.

I think BVO is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Ultramax - who does ECB brakes reco for a 1.5l car, what is needed is to change to steel-braided hose for citydriving and PIE/AYE

Any comments ??

Edited by Cool

Neutral Newbie

< Ultramax - who does ECB brakes reco for a 1.5l car >

Sorry I didn't got your drift. What's a reco?

I think you meant EBC. Well, I've used EBC Green Stuff pads before and my experience with them is not very good. Although they are very clean on normal driving, they cannot take hard braking conditions. The amt of SOOT they throw out after a track session is frightening! You may reason that you don't actually go to track but if you happen to go down Genting or Cameron Highlands, you'll need to brake a lot of times.

Anyway EBD does make rotors too. Another alternative you can consider, if they have one that fits your Rolla, is Brembo Max slotted rotors. It's about $200 or less for a pair of front rotors. I've never used them and I don't like the design of the slots as they look like a flower in full bloom. However I've a friend who uses it and is quite happy with it's result. He goes to the track too.

< what is needed is to change to steel-braided hose for citydriving and PIE/AYE >

Steel braided hoses does not change the driving characteristic of your car so the city and PIE/Aye driving pare is irrelevant. It changes the FEEL of your braking. Normal brake hoses are made of rubber and under braking, there's a small amount of expansion. A braided hose does not expand (or maybe very minimally) so all brake fluid pressure goes to work on the brakes, reducing the sponginess of the pedal feel. In effect, you'll fell more sure of the braking power.

DOT 5.1 fluid has a higher boiling point and resist degeneration under high temp. Not really needed if you don't drive your Rolla hard but for me, a peace in mind. Anyway, they'll have to bleed the fluid when I changed the hoses so why not......

My $0.02.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

reco - recommendation

Doctors and IT don't think alike [laugh][laugh]

I think I am not going to spent $800 on just the front.. my rotor are still in good condition..

The stock hose are rubber which I think it is worth to change the hose. Until my rotar wraps.. maybe I might consider Brembo.

after the recent accident, I think it is wise to fix up my braking. I am begining to experience the "spoongy" feeling on my car.

Any recommendation where I can get the Rotors and workshop that you think I can pay a visit to ?

Edited by Cool

Neutral Newbie

If you're keen on the braided hose only as the first step of upgrade (might as well get a DOT 5.1 also since the fluid has to be bled), try to source an aftermarket braided hose first. Popular brands are Sparco and OMP. That's for my babe but your Rolla may have other Japanese performance parts manufacturers like TRD etc.

If you can't find any aftermarket hose to fit your Rolla, you can do as Mondeo did. He went for a custom-made Goodrich hose. Done at a workshop in Sin Ming Autopoint, I think.

However, you've gotta buy the DOT 5.1 fluid yourself first as the workshop may not keep (usually the case) stock and you are forced to use the DOT 4 instead. Mine is Bendix from Speedworks. Brick know a place where they sell Lockheed DOT 5.1 fluid at a very competitive price. [thumbsup]

Here's a warning though, uprated brakes like slotted rotors and performance pads do make noise when braking. [:p] They groan!

* We can discuss this privetely if you want. Gimme a call!

Edited by Mikeckchong
↡ Advertisement