Voxy and Mobilo

Renegade

Neutral Newbie

Would love to....maybe something else-lah, like tennis or something creative (golf already taken, lah.... [laugh] ) but my take on it is highly unlikely. The local dealer seems pretty happy basking in obscurity - can't even be bothered to come up with new (and better) ads and more direct publicity for their products..... [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

You're right, Seat's dealer haven't done anything lately. I think the last TV advert was the 'you have it, flaunt it' ad. And that was, like, eons ago.

Edited by Mikeckchong

Turbocharged

Yes, "Performance" seems to mean quite a few things, the usual and basic ones will be like (very roughly):

(A) the ability to move very fast (usually forward, sometimes sideway abit, very rarely backward) in a safe and predictable and controllable manner,

(B) the ability to follow the direction the diver wants it to go at reasonably high speed without any drama,

© the ability to stop effectively, hopefully in a straight line, and to maintain the same ability despite repeated 'abuse',

(D) the ability to regain stability quickly when subject to sudden changes of speed or direction

............. i am testing my understanding of "performance" here, so this is not very accurate [:p]

what would you guys look for in a 'performance car'?

cheers

Nice run-down you have there. One thing I find that many people overlook is the fact that some of these "performance" aspects are actually safety devices, active safety devices, that is. As opposed to passive - why go on about how many airbags your car has when it can't get you out of trouble in the first place? Two of the most important in my mind are steering and brakes. Good steering - meaty, direct and with enough feel - matters far more to both performance and safety than most other functions. And proper brakes - strong, progressive, fade-free - IMHO are more important than outright acceleration, though far less noticed.

Neutral Newbie

Long ago ? Uh-huh....you got that one right, Mike. I was still studying then....there was this something that went to the tune of "In the Seat of...." followed by words like "Control", "Comfort", etc., with obscure views of the Tody...... [shakehead]

If I remember correctly, it was the pre-launch campaign of the Mk2 Tody's arrival in S'pore. Since then, all the ads in the Classifieds have been the same....so how to convince them to sponsor tennis....? [:p]

Turbocharged

you are right man: taking the extreme case, that's why a dragster is totally useless on real roads with turns [laugh] ....... a big cc american car with lousy handling will reach the destination hours later than a small cc but well setup car which can take corners fast and safe [thumbsup][thumbsup] ......... unless of course we are talking about those straight for 20km or more interstates highways [:/]

incidentally, even in Western Australia, there are many single lane outback country roads which have long straight stretches that go on and on for 20++km, i clocked it few years ago..... boring tho [blush]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Boring and dangerous, too. Very easy to fall asleep at the wheel - saw one or two ditched cars (as in they were in the roadside ditch) on the straight portions during my drive to Philip Island earlier this year. And that's so not cool..... [sweatdrop]

Guess they put up signs with the message "Drowsy Drivers Die" for good reason..... [shakehead]

Edited by Renegade

Turbocharged

"Drowsy Drivers Die"

yeah, lots of unusual but truthful warning signs down there [laugh][laugh]

Perth to Albany.......... that's a long way Sean [shocked] .... you did it in one good? [laugh]

Edited by Ysfoo

Err... trying to recall... I think we made it in a day, because I don't remember staying the night in-between. But going back we took the long way, via Busselton. Had a really nice time... [thumbsup] Love driving in Australia, even in the cities. When we got back I got stressed up all over again [furious]

Turbocharged

That's a good way to see the place by returning north going thru the coastal towns. [:)] did you try the farm-stay? highly recommended [thumbsup] and not too expensive. ..... i never made it to Albany, very very regretful [:/]

Yeah, after the stress-free driving overseas, we will be like going back to hell when will start driving in sgp again [crazy][sly] ........ our roads are like survival in the jungles, very stressfull man [:/]

Edited by Ysfoo

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Great Ocean Rd - that's one road you must drive along at least once, if you're to drive down-under. Perferably at decently high but safe speeds, manual shifter and definitely not in a car with soggy suspension. Will have to drive there again someday - perhaps the opposite direction.... [thumbsup][thumbsup]

And, yes, driving there is so very different an experience. If anything, it made me realise how bad (as in insensitive and pointlessly aggressive) a driver I am..... [bigcry]

Edited by Renegade

Turbocharged

Yeah, my other friends also recommended Ocean Road [thumbsup][thumbsup]

The speed limit sign on twisty roads there are "not pray pray"...... once i tried to exceed the limit, almost ended up in the valley [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Farm stay? My aunt in Adelaide used to have a farm of her own, and we'd wake up at some ungodly hour to milk the goats... Quite fun though, having really, really fresh ice cream (from her factory) [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

Wow, you really had a good time on the farm, make me envy [:)][;)][:p]

if/when i am out of job here, you think she will consider hiring me to milk her goats? [:)] i will be a hardworking 'milker' [:)] , and i will only touch the goats and not the neighbours' daugthers [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Oppps, just read again that she is not having the farm anymore [:/]

Edited by Ysfoo