Wheel alignment

Fabiaman

Tyres are very important, alignment and balance are equally important. Without proper working of them, how to ensure the car going to run safely on the road.

Dun mind spending $$ on a good job done. This is one area I'm willing to pay a high price. Balancing & rotating for $10 a piece is reasonable to me.

Edited by Sky8807
↡ Advertisement

Just did mine yesterday at Stamford tyres. Rotate and balance $25 for 4 wheels. This price is for 16" and above. Mine is 17"

Below 16" I believe is $15. Their on wheel balance is quite reasonable too.

That more reasonable than the one at opp 10 mile junction.

Shall consider the next time I need the service. Tks for info.

For me, it's not the price, but customer satisfaction on quality equipment and job.

If after balancing and rotation, and the car vibrate during my test drive, I will give the shop a demerit points and its will be the last shop I will visit again and will never recommend to anybody.

After balancing I will try to drive and check from zero to about 120km/hr first to do a first cut on the finished job to see whether any wheel vibration. If satisfactory then when there are opportunity, will test it all the way to 160km/hr or higher speed to complete the full check. Then I consider the tyre shop do a good job.

For vibrations, you should do ON WHEEL balancing, which is more accurate. Not many people have equipment though. I changed my tyres in Nov and after 2 weeks not very happy as could feel slight vibes, did on wheel at Stamford and no probs after that

I was there yesterday too.. what time were you there

I was there about 6:30pm..

I was there at about 2.00 and left about 2.45pm. What did you do there? change rims, tyres or for balancing, alignment stuff

Neutral Newbie

Hi! there, Question,

When the tyres are on the car, during on-wheel balancing, the front tyres that is, the balancing of the tyres, wheel and brake disc is to ensure that the weights are placed in relation to the high speed rotation of all the parts are correct. It's done only for the front wheels, as rotational balance is critical for the steering wheels.

If steering wheel vibration is felt on a straight road, you will end up fighting to hang on to the steering wheel around the corners. One way of getting such vibrations is to do an emergency braking, with skid mark that flatten a spot on the tyre.

Rgds

Paul Yong

So far with the normal wheel balancing, no problem with vibration, there is no need to do ON wheel balancing. Anyway, it is more expensive.

Though it is supposed to be more accurate technically, I still feel uncomfortable because if I remove and refitted the tyre the balance run-out. Because the tyre is balance with the wheel and all the suspension assy fitted and not the tyre itself.

Have you tried driving between 80 to say 150-160km and the steering no vibration after the job for verification that it was good.

Neutral Newbie

I visited a couple of tire shops and they don't have on wheel balancing which I need for my front wheels [:/]

Managed to find one but was charged $40 for on-wheel balancing of the front pair only! [mad] NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN, S**T!!! [mad]

Neutral Newbie

Next time round I'll pay Stamford a visit, U went to the Macpherson one right? I've been to the Lok Yang one a couple of times to get accessories/detailing stuff and impressed with their setup there. [;)]

However got some negative feedback for Stamford's lack in service ability so didn't have a chance to get them to do any work on my brick yet [:|]

Neutral Newbie

Good price. Is there any extra discount for members?

Anyway, if you really want a workout, you can DIY your tyre rotation using your car jack (the normal type), tools and the spare tyre. Did that once and nearly dieded. Sibeh siong!!

Neutral Newbie

Is Stamford the best place to do wheel balancing and alignments? I thought most tyre shops shld offer the same kind of service? Incl JB? Ratonale being that they are all computerised and thus... shldnt make any difference until the machine used is cxxk up one?