Fabia Anniversary

Sky8807

My skoda fabia had just pass one year.

Will be posting on the cost of owning the fabia, its good and bad points soon.

↡ Advertisement

Okay, here comes the first part.

Car - Fabia Classic, manual

Distance traveled - 11200 km

Average fuel consumption

Neutral Newbie

Hey tks Sky ... looking fwd to Part II.... potential Skoda buyers will be glued to the screen at MCF. I have just highlighted my colleague about the Skoda Group here last week and he is reading every posting here abt the car with a view to buy.

He test drove twice already but still unsure if reliability and cost of maintenance and of course whether the new distributor is up to it. Best reference would be to get from existing Skoda drivers.

(edited)

Hi Seven11,

If your friend have any question, why not post it here, others in the forum can give their opinion also.

Part 2 - Problem encountered

Owning a Skoda Fabia is not without any problem, there are some minor problems that we can live with though. So far, did not have any breakdown on the road. For me, always believe in Japanese car reliability here in Singapore, and driving a conti car is like taking a risk even though the conti car always have an edge over the others in handling and feel.

First problem encountered was the gearbox selection, have difficulty in 1st gear engagement at traffic light. It was difficult to engage 1st when new, it does

Edited by Sky8807

Thanks TurboBrick,

Gotta miss you here, wish you all the best to your future endeavour.

==============

Ya, another problem with the fabia, is when idling sometimes can feel the vibration transmitted from the engine, more pronounced when the air-con is off. Very minor, but as times pass, either you are immune to it of it may have improve slightly, but if you concentrate you know it is still there.

Okay, now Part 3

Additional costs for my accessories were $268 and have to fork out an additional $556.60 for repair and damage.

Accessory

Fitting two side rubber strip costs about $50

Changing tyres to fit the sport-rims(borbet) which was included in the package.

4 Semperit tyres (185/65/14) costs $240 (incl trade in old tyres - Kelber tyres)

4 chrome tyre charging valve cap costs $28.

A little about the tyres I used, Semperit Top Speed2. This tyre is rated second in the euro test mod(4/00) due to its good balance between price and performance. It offered a fast ride in the wet with good reserves at the limit but on the down side braking in the dry was not thought to be optimal, alright with me, and rolling noise was on the high side. It got excellent marks in wet steering, cornering and braking, this is important to me, and dry steering and rolling resistance is good. Comfort wise only average. For about $70 per piece cannot ask for too much.

Damage and repair

During the course of driving, one tyre was damage with a cut on the side wall and need replacement cost $ 70

Rear brake light unit damaged during parking costs - $210

Fuel filter replacement $45.90, Fuel pump seal replacement - $20.70, Cleaning of fuel tanks & labour - $210. All these happen recently. Though not related to the skoda fabia, just to highlight the hidden costs one have to consider while owning a car.

to continue

Thanks Sky, looking forward to more of your contributions on MCF. Probably need more of your advice when I get a old car in the States [sweatdrop]

Edited by Turbobrick

(edited)

On the subject of the agent support, how do I grad the current agent workshop. Overall I give them only average. I think they can improve and hope they do.

Let me share on my finding after the fuel tank cleaning job at CA.

I discovered after collecting the car when I reach home that the boot behind the rear right light assembly the fabric area was removed for access but forgotten to installed back. Re-installed back myself.

Today, while out on shopping, realized that the power windows were unable to auto all the way down and up? Was wandering whether the car have this feature or not for a while. Later realized it did have this feature because when the window was up and you stop the window, it will reverse back as a child safety feature. I remember this feature. So on returning home, open the bonnet and check the battery connections. Check and removed the three fuses above the battery compartment and re-installed it back. Do a test and the feature of auto up and down was working again. For this reasons, I always advise other not to disturb any electrical in the car.

For info, I also did an independent check on the fuel tank and all the attachment point that was disturbed. I jack up the car and inspected underneath the car for abnormalities. Only one found and that is the fuel filter regulator was different from the original shape, I take it as an alternative part under VAG. The component got three inlets connection, but two was available and connected, the other was left blank, I think not applicable for this model.. Need to confirm on Monday. No other abnormally was found.

IMHO, workshop layout and cleanliness is good. Technical competency is good, thoroughness and job completion I give it only average as can be seen on my encounter.

Do I want to go there again for service in the future? Yes, but not every kind of job, only those problematic that I think they are the best and most capable to handle.

What are the maintenance costs required which I considered necessary according to my own judgment or calculation.

Sparkplug change

Edited by Sky8807

In conclusion, owning a skoda fabia for the first year is low cost, but, as for the second and third year, we do not know yet. Hopefully it is a low cost and maintenance faby.

Beside the minor irritation mentioned above, the fabia carries herself quite well. Fuel consumption was not its best feature but it

Thanks [:)] . Faby should be able to withstand more good years after the first I hope.

A little too long for the review, maybe, next round, make short and sharp.

Cheers [sunny]

Neutral Newbie

Allo Sky,

Thanx for the very insightful review of your fabia. My own xperience having driven the faby for just over one year more or less concur with what you have mentioned.

I do not have the fuel indicator and air-con problem that has unfortunately befallen on yours. My only gripe so far has been the power windows. Left button opens right window and vice versa. [smash][:/]

All said, it's a robust "little" car. [;)][sunny]

Thanks for sharing. [:)] Agree that it's a robust car.

The fuel indication anomaly, guess only happen to me, the dirty fuel pump station.

Hi Sky... many tks for sharing your ownership experience with the Fabia. I will also share mine soon as I have unforgettable 1st yr with the Skoda which might be good to document. My Fabia is now almost 1 yr 2 months liao.... mileage almost 29,000km. Serviced wth JTA/CA and external workshop.

Will post my ownership report soon

Hi fabiaman,

Alright man [nod] , it's good to share with others our experience for all to benefit.

I know you have many unforgettable incidents, whether negatives or positives, we put the facts on the table and let's other decide and conclude on the car.

Hope to see your sharing soon. [:)]

↡ Advertisement