Odyssey, Picnic or Wish?

Ling156

Neutral Newbie

Hey all!

I'm trying to decide whether the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Wish or Picnic would be good as a family car. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of the car so that I can make a good decision? Thanks!! [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

The lineup in terms of build quality, performance is

1. Honda Odyssey - presumes it the latest 2.4L model - $117K

2. Toyota Picnic - 2L model - $ 101K

3. Toyota Wish - 1.8L model - $93K probably the most afforable

but basically different class on their own in the MPV market.

Toyota wish is better compared with Honda stream.

Honda Odyssey will probably in the same league as the Toyota Estima/Previa.

[gossip]

Neutral Newbie

Really? How that does compare with those that I've mentioned?

From what I know the Wish is not bad, except that there are no aircon vents at the back of the vehicle. The Picnic is underpowered coz the weight of the car is too heavy and the horsepower is not there...

Do you all know anything else about either cars that I should take note of?

As mentioned, three cars are different in their aspects/class. Wish is better than Stream and they so call belong to the Middle MPV class, whereas Odyssey, Picnic, Estima, Grandis are in the large MPV class.

Comparison needed is yr budget, and what are you looking at, like space, power, handling, FC, etc etc... But the Odyssey is [jawdrop]

Edited by Mitlover

Neutral Newbie

For 7-seaters MPV, sufficient legroom for all 7 adults; good enough "safety zone" for last row of passengers if kanna crash from backside, reliability..... think these 3 cars that you consider are quite good choice[thumbsup]. Somehow, I don't see any data on back collision test for MPV [gossip]

Cost : Abt 10K diff. btw Wish & Picnic, Picnic & Odyssey

Fuel Consumption : 1.8 Wish [thumbsup] ~14km/L

Aircon : 1.8 Wish [thumbsdown] - only from front

Weight : Picnic almost 2.2T [jawdrop] for a 2L car

Full Load Up Genting : Odyssey -> Wish -> Picnic

Wish is a good buy if the aircon is strong enough to get to the rear especially with our type of weather at noon [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

notice that yr choice is quite spread out.Oddy is in the same league as Estima and Grandisc while Wish is more mid side MPV and Picnic is somewhere in btw. It depends on yr budget and the reason why you need to upgrade. If you are planning to go full load most of the time, then go at least for Picnic

Size : Oddy, Picnic, Wish

FC : Wish (~13km/l), Picnic (~8.8km/l), Oddy (~8km/l?)

Looks : errr....my preference => Picnic, Wish, Oddy (too chiong looking)

Power : ?? (anyone can comment?)

Price : stated by Wrxblue

Note: Delivery of the new Oddy is only in June (i heard)

My choice : PICNIC! balance btw size, power, looks, fc...

Hi, I can't comment much abt WISH or Odyssey, but I can provide some factors why I chose the 2004 Picnic:

1) Large hidden boot space. Probably the largest between the 3, without compromising the last row seats. So, there is no need for tonneau cover to avoid unwanted attention on things you keep at the back.

2) SUV-like driving position. This gives me a commanding view of the road, and therefore better equipped to react to traffic conditions. IMHO, it's quite a good combination of MPV + SUV. I believe both WISH and Oddy are pretty saloon-like comparatively.

3) 2.0L VVTi engine. Roadtax is ~$600 p.a. cheaper than 2.4L ones and only ~$300 more than the 1.8L WISH. Even it is 2.1+ tonne, I find the engine very responsive and powerful. In fact, it's better in pickup that my previous Civic VTi (EK model, auto), making it suitable for City driving.

4) Short turning radius. Easy to do U-turns or 3-pt turns. (Note: This may vary if you change the stock rims)

5) Good sound proofing.. probably explains the weight.

However, there are some regrets:

1) Fuel consumption is abt 8-9KM / Litre based on my 2-month experience.

2) Lack of engine immobiliser.. Have to be careful, when you drive up North.

Hope these helps.

Edited by Merrills

Why dont you wait for the Nissan Presage. This model has just been launched in Japan

If I'm not wrong.. the base model has a 2.5L engine. This means the road tax is around 2.3k per year.

Hi!

IMHO, it all boils down to 2 things, what you want for performance and what you want for practicality. Info from feedbacks/ visits to car dealers as follows:

Odyssey, being 2.4l, will give a more sporty drive. Also, many rave reviews about it being "sedan-like" in its handling. Another plus point is that a brand new model is in town, from Honda's model change pattern, should be 4 yrs to minor update and 8 yrs to model change, thus, the car will not look dated for a good few years to come.

Picnic is a good people carrier, hack, all 3 of them are, but like what other forumers said, its a bit under-powered, which is why you see PI's Toyota Ipsum on the roads quite a bit. Because the Ipsum is a 2.4l in the Picnic body. Guess the picnic's a practical choice with very good reviews from magazines and a few of my neighbours are driving one.

For the Wish, have no personal experience with it, but the thought of a 1.8l engine lugging 7 adults around does make me [sweatdrop] . However, The engine does give a good 132PS, I think it's rather ok if it's only occasionally that full capacity is used. It's also slightly shorter than the Picnic, so more easy to manuvoure, I presume.

Personally I choose the Odyssey, renown engine maker, plenty of space which ever row of seats (I'm > 1.7m, by the way), and...it's new [thumbsup] .

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

i am not expert in mpvs. but i think u shld first decide whether you want a 7 seater or 8seater.

then tell people in order of priority your preferences, eg

1)comfort

2)sporty drive

3)fuel consumption

i thot the onli 3 things to consider when buying MPVs are

1) Space

2) More space

3) comfort

FC & sporty drive seems like an oxymoron leh.

↡ Advertisement