Priority in Improving Performance

Super7

Read this in another forum, what's your views on this??, many thanks smile.gifsmile.gif :-

"......... Different websites have different view. Quotes from some US websites basic mod starts with air-intake, inter bigger inter aircooler reasons more air plus cooler air means better combustion gives better power. What's come in fast must also goes out fast so they recommend exhaust as the second alternative but not legally approved by LTA "???".

ECU is always the last part. Follow by this intake manifold & extractor, fuel rail, fuel pump, boost controller, suspension, all this involes a lot of dollars & cents. etc...

Humble Japanese & British racer have different views. Lower the weight & improves the handling. This is the simplest and cheapest method for mod that won't burn a hole in your pocket. Cheers ............. "

↡ Advertisement

someone replied:-

"........... Americans only want bragging rights .. and who can go straight the fastest .. ie 1/4 mile

Japanese / British likes to be the fastest going around a track .. hence light and suspension is the best ..

worse still .. 2 different thought 2 different way of tuning ..

americans are only interested in peak .. hence drivability on a daily driver sucks ..

Japanese / british like torque .. as everytime you shift gears, your rpm drop so you want big fat torque to push the car around .. and that actually works really well on the road .. but you die from the noise and the jarring ride .. :D .............. "

another one said:-

" .......... Americans like big horsepower, they mod heavyly like 2 fast & 2 furious and their car wont lasts. For them their petrol & parts is cheap with a strong currency they can import them cheap. We can't afford to be like them ............... "

Yea..totally agreed...

Losing weight is the best way to enhance performance....

very good examples is the lotus elise, Vaxhaull(Opel) VX220, Porsche 911RS and the NSX, Civic,Integra Type R etc

so start throwing away your spare tyres, your passenger seats etc.... [laugh][laugh][sweatdrop][sly]

its a time where less is more!!!!!!!!! [nod][thumbsup]

yup, if you have better brakes which give you confidence in late braking going into a corner, you gain lap time... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif ...... and for safety/emergency, a stronger brake system is always a good thing to have thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

yet another comment:-

" .......... Start with the basic like removing your spare tires & rim (20kg), change to a lighter rims (7kg) std 9 kg reduce by (2kg), remove rear wiper (reduce 6kg). Follow by this start install stiffer suspensions choose according to your needs "Sportiness & Comfort" or "Competition", stiffer anti-roll bar, front & rear struts (top & bottom) & air-intake. Exhaust is a bit risky. You may decide later. This are the basic for beginners. ........... "

Wah! The car have to be "rebalanced". I understand passenger cars are designed with weight distribution in mind and the spare tire does contribute significantly to the rear weight to counter the engine weight in front.

on the american way of thinking:-

" ........... Actually their car can last .. except they are el cheapos .. they want everything but not willing to spend on it ..

And their parts are not cheap .. cheap stuff are only american cars .. japanese cars fall under imports .. and the distributors know they can make money from this (they are very into japanese things for the buyers of japanese cars) .. doesn't matter if mugen doesn't fit mitsubishis .. if you know what I mean ..

Gas is cheap but shitty .. common run of the mill of 91 octane is our equivalent of 95 RON .. actually .. we're worse than them .. we're more willing to spend on the cars than them .. they really live from hand to mouth sometimes .. whereas we apportion our earnings to fix up our cars ..sometimes :P .............. "

me not writer lah, read something interesting, so share-share here mah......... eh sai bo?? tongue.giftongue.gif (lidat can clock up more posts mah.... also easy for readers to digest bit by bit...)

Neutral Newbie

too bad man, long essay i will lose interest one....tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif he got to add chabor pics in between to keep me in real suspense laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

yea..probably...then if we come to the topic of weight distribution

then alot of things on our car CANNOT be touched especially changing engine or engine parts, suspension setup, anti-roll bars, strut brace etc...all these affects the weight transfer and hence the weight distribution in a car in a corner ..... [nod]

so end of the day....keep street cars for the roads and racing cars for the track!!!!!!! [sly][nod]

technically speaking, shld stick to hard compound, stock, skinny tyres as UHP tyres got too much grip, hence, more rolling resistance. tongue.gif

Hmm.. let me see what is in my el cheapo car.

Modified Aisan carburetor to mechanical rather than vacuum feedback.

Lowered front suspension, raised rear. Great for parking.

Anti-roll bar. No struts yet.

Discs all round.

And so far I have not done anything to my exhaust header or engine and the car is fun to drive.

"...keep street cars for the roads and racing cars for the track!!!!!!!.."

nod.gif most sensible thing i've heard for a long time. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

too often, many ppl tend to tok as if their mass produced factory car is some custom built track terror.frown.gif

↡ Advertisement