New Cordoba....

Renegade

Hidden talent or just a wiser choice in career ? I don't see a very big market for car designers in this corner of the world despite the type of so-called talent that's in place (IMHO, the Waja, as good as its handling is, looks like a sad mismash of ideas).

As for design contests, I've seen an award-winning design on the other side of the causeway that was basically a stretched Scenic with Brava tail-lights and A-class c-pillar and 928-style headlights - now, that's something that I would never be able to think of so I guess a career switch to that direction wouldn't be prudent a move for me..... [laugh][rifle]

↡ Advertisement

yeah, market for these types of job is pretty rare in this part of the world [:/] , so i ended up working as an architect in the early part of my career [laugh][laugh] .. as a hobby, i will start doodling cars sketches once i find the time to do it [laugh][laugh]

perhaps i will start with designing some car body graphics sooner than actually designing cars [thumbsup]

cheers

Edited by Ysfoo

btw, looking at the timing of your postings, one question: you hardly sleep? [laugh][laugh].....

i am off to take a evening walk with wifey for a while now..... come back later [;)][:p][:)]

Edited by Ysfoo

lol

ic ^^;

nah I am awake now. Surfing. I will prob go back to sleep in a sec. I was looking through the classified on asia1.com and saw an add for an RX7 *DROOLS*

Wow, yet another shared pastime! I've been sketching cars for as long as I can remember, always got irritated when a new design would 'steal' my ideas [laugh] , but i've stopped for some time now... Now in my present job (engineer in a CAD reseller) I sometimes get to dabble in cars - the best of both worlds, huh?

hehe, what was the first car you sketched? i sketched the VW kombi when i was 5 [laugh]

you mean you know softwares which help in 3-D car design? bet they are expensivse? any simple software for hobbist?

Let's start a Sean-fOO Design Studion to give people like Ital Desgin a run for their money (if they still exist) [laugh][laugh][laugh]

cheers

Edited by Ysfoo

The software we deal with isn't specifically for automotive design, but can be used for most mechanical and consumer products - milling machines, cranes, shampoo bottles, yacht hulls, joysticks... you name it. The surfacing functions allow for very complex shapes, although the end result depends mostly on the skill of the user. And yes, it's expensive, more than you and I will ever pay for software, but as they say, you get what you pay for - all that research doesn't come for free...

PS: I designed the McLaren F1 in 1990... [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Seansene

>>>>>....I designed the McLaren F1 in 1990.

er? really ah?.....

one guy in Oz recently designed a classic celica for me to race in a simulation game.. it looks really cool and the vehicle physics he designed also behaves juz like the original car.... i have the free downloaded software for such 3-D modelling with animation, but i got totally lost after reading the first few paragraphs of the tutorials [;)] .... the car comes with shadows, reflections, damage effects, really COOL [thumbsup]

wonder if you have come across similar softwares?

probably i will try out some simple 3-d modelling softwares and get the basic outlines of the car right and then use freehand to render the colour,s shadows, shades etc etc...

i juz need lots of time to get this started...

cheers

Edited by Ysfoo

Our software is engineering-based, not so much for multi-media, so the files are a lot more laden with information (mass properties, surface area, centre of gravity, moments of inertia...) Nevertheless, you can get some nice shapes out, and render them. Here are some pics of a car I did...

post-22-1032426493_thumb.jpg

post-22-1032426494_thumb.jpg

post-22-1032426495_thumb.jpg

What's with the noise in the foreground??? did u not use a median filter to remove the speckle?? Or is it a rendering-effect, surface shaded???

Nice design too! [laugh]

Hey Sean,

This is COOL!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] .. i can even see the front seats... and more [:)]

All i m looking for is some programmes which allow me to design the exterior (plus a bit of interior like yours), generate views from different angles... shadow effects... bingo!

How long did it take you to complete this one, assuming you work continuously, excluding the think part?

Anyway i can buy only part of the software for the purpose i've juz said? I'm keen. Hopefully, if the software you use is too ex, there'll be some simpler but similar softwares for hobbist but not real commercial designers.... fingers crossed.

CHeers

Also, i think the designer of the new Nissan 350Z may have borrowed some ideas from your design.... the side profile for a start, then the front nose/lights but they 'fattened' these items abit.....

Good stuff [thumbsup][thumbsup]

...not only the interior but also (actually make that especially) the oily bits. Here's a Suzuki engine designed in the software - all 475 parts.

post-22-1032428716_thumb.gif

Edited by Seansene