Knocking Sound from gearbox/clutch Nissan Sunny Manual

Andrew

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I'm hearing a knocking sound from my gearbox/clutch, whenever i change gear or step on the clutch. I'm driving a Nissan Sunny Manual(2003). Anybody out there knows what's going on? Thanks.

Regards,

Andrew

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Halo, my problem a bit unique. My car sound like "metal rubbing" when i stuck in the jam too long (where stop & go, needing pressing and release of clutch=to me is when my clutch is hot), the sound appear when i release my clutch to move my car in 1st or even 2nd gear. The sound will disappear when i press the clutch.

To me, i feel that is like when something is heated and will sound when releasing the clutch to move the car.

subsequently, i thot is the clutch and bearing had worn out. i changed my bearing, clutch and even preasure plate in dec 2011. after the changed, the sound still appear when the "clutch is hot"..

Anyone can help?

Halo, my problem a bit unique. My car sound like "metal rubbing" when i stuck in the jam too long (where stop & go, needing pressing and release of clutch=to me is when my clutch is hot), the sound appear when i release my clutch to move my car in 1st or even 2nd gear. The sound will disappear when i press the clutch.

To me, i feel that is like when something is heated and will sound when releasing the clutch to move the car.

subsequently, i thot is the clutch and bearing had worn out. i changed my bearing, clutch and even preasure plate in dec 2011. after the changed, the sound still appear when the "clutch is hot"..

Anyone can help?

got change your transmission oil?

i have this groaning sound when the revs are low too. ie. 1.6 to 2k, at any gear but more to gears 1-3. changed transmission fluid 2 times. sound still there. however, when the revs are high, i.e abouve 2k no sound.

i'm driving a civic

Neutral Newbie

I also have some problem with my 8.5-years old Sunny 1.6 (A). The problem is always early in the morning:- Initially when I started noticing the problem, the car won't move just by engaging in Gear "D". When I gently pressed on the accelerator, the gear suddenly engaged and jerked forward. Later, the car won't move at all with "D" gear engaged. I had to shift it to gear "2" first to start moving. Now the early morning cold engine syndrome becomes worst and sometimes I have to shift it all the way to gear "1" to start moving. The problem is always early in the morning. No problem at all shifting back to Gear "D" after rolling for a few metres.

Even though I have no issue with this problem as I know my car thoroughly, the kids got increasingly annoyed with this problem since they worry the car could break down anytime and they will be late for school. I service my car at Tan Chong and report about it but the mechanic says no problem at all (of course, the engine is warm when I reach the service centre and the gear is functioning normally when they do testing). Any brother encountered such problem?​

Edited by thanlwinb

I also have some problem with my 8.5-years old Sunny 1.6 (A). The problem is always early in the morning:- Initially when I started noticing the problem, the car won't move just by engaging in Gear "D". When I gently pressed on the accelerator, the gear suddenly engaged and jerked forward. Later, the car won't move at all with "D" gear engaged. I had to shift it to gear "2" first to start moving. Now the early morning cold engine syndrome becomes worst and sometimes I have to shift it all the way to gear "1" to start moving. The problem is always early in the morning. No problem at all shifting back to Gear "D" after rolling for a few metres.

Even though I have no issue with this problem as I know my car thoroughly, the kids got increasingly annoyed with this problem since they worry the car could break down anytime and they will be late for school. I service my car at Tan Chong and report about it but the mechanic says no problem at all (of course, the engine is warm when I reach the service centre and the gear is functioning normally when they do testing). Any brother encountered such problem?​

I am also having a similar problem with my 9.5 years old Sunny 1.6 (A). For my case, every time I start the engine from a cold start, the car does not move when engaging the 'D' gear and releasing the brake. I have to manually start from gear '1' to gear '2' for about 300metres before I can start moving off from 'D'. I believe this is the gearbox problem but not really a big issue for me as it is going to be scrapped soon... just gotta get used to it. Another problem is that sometimes my engine wont start if I don't step on the accelerator.. 

The knocking sound could be due to plenty of reasons. It might be due to a problem with your clutch plates or it could even be something to do with the debris or dirt stuck in the clutch plates or wheel shaft. You should get an expert car groomer to take a thorough look at the vehicle to avoid further problems. 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I had a knocking sound, feeling like the CVT gear was in too high a gear whilst moving off, slow pickup and sometimes a kick when when I'm trying to move off at the junction.  Let me share my gearbox repair experience.

My nine yr old Airwave gearbox finally died 2 mths ago after giving intermittent problems for over a year.  Its been a work horse and the family loves it although sadly we thought it may have to be retired.  Its a real dilemma but as COE hasn't dropped sufficiently, ultimately I made the decision to repair the gearbox.

Did searches on the web and identified a couple of places - can't remember the others but decided on KATC after giving a call and was lucky enough to reach KATC boss Raymond Khang whose handphone was given on one of the sites.  That swung it as most owners don't answer the enquiry line.  I liked the caring and knowledgeable response but at that point wasn't sure I could move the car.  So Raymond arranged for a tow truck to call me too.  Anyway, after praying, I was able to engage the gear and drive slowly the half hour journey to his workshop.  When the workshop tried to reposition the car it would not move again, so the gearbox had completely died.

Anyway to cut a long story short, Raymond gave me a good price and did the complete overhaul of my gearbox in record time of just over 2 days because I needed it for work (he estimated it would take a week but very kindly put a priority on my car).  I was surprised that the car could even move when I went to collect it but it was an excellent job.  The gear changes were silky smooth and was better than it had been for a very long time.  But soon I felt some vibrations and fuel consumption wasn't as good as before and I went back.  They patiently checked it and found that the engine mounting had disintegrated from old age.  Again they did this repair in record time and treated me like royalty to boot, giving me lifts to the bus stop etc. to make the multiple visits and leaving the car at KATC less painful.  Again, I was given priority and the repair was done very quickly.

I waited 2  months and a trip to KL later to write this testimony.  I have to say KATC is a great place to do up your gearbox.  The workshop is big, well organised and with tonnes of spareparts.  Probably the reason why they could do overhaul in a matter of days.  The mechanics are well trained and knowledgeable because the result speaks for itself.  One gearbox workshop even told me that there was no way to rebuild an airwave gearbox and told me that I had to buy a new one at great cost.  Well, KATC has the knowledge and capacity to not only rebuild it but to do it in record time - forget about JB, we have the best here.  The car feels fast and is faster than before.  I drove 3 guys when I was in Malaysia and one of them asked if it was a 2.4L car as they don't have the Airwave there. As you know, its only a 1.5L.  Never knew that a well tuned gearbox could liberate so much performance from the engine.  Its also more fuel efficient than before.  On top of that Raymond has an excellent, professional and polite crew there.  His brother Eddy is just as nice and professional and so is Randy another staff.  They were patient and investigated each problem I described and heard.  I guess with the gearbox in tip top condition, I started to hear other problems that the aging car had - they tightened my exhaust pipe for free and I have since also changed the aircon fan.  I guess I have to renew the COE now that its in such good shape.  Raymond also extended my warranty all the way to the end of my COE but I'm confident that the gearbox will last much longer than 9 mths!  

KATC - thanks for giving my old faithful back to me, better than ever before when it almost ended up in the scrap!

• Dislike 1

I am also having a similar problem with my 9.5 years old Sunny 1.6 (A). For my case, every time I start the engine from a cold start, the car does not move when engaging the 'D' gear and releasing the brake. I have to manually start from gear '1' to gear '2' for about 300metres before I can start moving off from 'D'. I believe this is the gearbox problem but not really a big issue for me as it is going to be scrapped soon... just gotta get used to it. Another problem is that sometimes my engine wont start if I don't step on the accelerator.. 

The wait will get longer as each month passes by. After months, the wait could be as long as 10 minutes before the car jerked off even with gear 1. Finally changed for a second hand gb in JB for RM2.1k.

↡ Advertisement