Honda Elysion-bigger brother of Odyssey

GDIzen

Neutral Newbie

OK I found out leow... What VCM does is it shuts down the rear bank of 3 cylinders by idling the intake and exhaust valves, running on 3 cylinders only during cruising. But here's the impressive part... the "active control" engine mounts then compress and extend out of phase with the vibrations caused by the change in crankshaft speed to dampen the resulting vibrations! and more.. there's even a speaker to produce an opposite phase sound to make the cabin quieter! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Edited by Yttrium
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Yeah.. I read a similar article [sly]

But you are right.. there are earlier cars with this concept.. one of them is Cadillac with their V8-6-4 engine from the early 80s. It would shut down 2.. and then 4 cylinders, cruising on the remaining 4. but users complained of a scary kick in the back when the 4 idling cylinders re-engaged when moving off after coming to a stop.

Neutral Newbie

If its an i-VTEC then it should have VTC which is what the "i" represents. In that case, it should then be a DOHC in order to implement the variable timing between the intake and exhaust cylinder valves ... but I'm just guessing. [sly]

Looks like we did our 'homework' at the same time! [laugh]

Two upcoming Chryslers will also be using V8 'shut-down' engines, with switchable FWD and RWD. But unsurprisingly, I'm still most impressed with Honda's solution [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Count on the japanese to take an idea, refine it and put it into production when the others who introduced it first gave up on it. [sly]

Edited by Yttrium

I thought the 'i' part means the VTEC can be engaged on different rpms, depending on engine load, instead of the previous VTEC engines which will only engaged on a fix rpm gossip.gif

Neutral Newbie

Not sure either.. for the i-VTEC implementation on the K20 engines, the "i" signified the variability of the phase of the intake and exhaust valves. but then again there's i-DSI etc which don't have the VTC feature...

Neutral Newbie

...better check ...... your tank could be leaking ...... or someone may be siphoning off your gas while you sleep.... sly.gif

↡ Advertisement