Car randomly shakes during idle

Incom

Hi All,

Need some advise to a problem that i am facing to the current car i am driving.

The car will randomly shakes, and the rpm meter needle will jump when idle. The problem is more obvious when the aircon is on.

The car i am driving is a Toyota Corolla 1.5L (A) FL, and just sent for oil change at 15K using RP 10W30 engine oil.

Mods that been done on the car:

- Grounding

- DIY DPS

- 2 pairs of magnet on the fuel line

So far have tried looking for answers to this problem on net, but could not get a picture of what is wrong with the car.

Or, any workshops to recommend, which can help to check what is the problem.

Thanks

Regards

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

look like your car try to keep you cool in the car. the car need work double hard as there is no wing blow to cool your air-con more effectively when it in idling stage. [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

my 2 cent.

Did the mechanics replace the spark plugs ? If yes there is the possibility they may have not place the spark plug cable propely seated onto one of the spark plug.

That will be the last thing to do, after i know what is wrong with the car, and getting the terms correct.

Have once send the car to BM to fix some problems, the SA's face changed to a unfriendly one, after i mentioned i am sending in the car to fix some problems instead of for servicing. [:(] The experience is not a good one, took them a whole day just to fix some minor issues according to the service report. [:/]

Thanks

Did the oil change at Riverview Auto, but have changed the spark plugs to SplitFire Triple Plantinum ones (Part Number: TP 522D) from Autodesigns when the car reached 10K. Actually, have this problem ever since the changed of the spark plugs, but not so serious until recently the problem become very obvious.

Advisible to take out the spark plug cables and reinsert them?

Apologises for having so many questions.

Thanks

Neutral Newbie

hi incom, may i know where did u do ur grounding?am driving the same make as u and am thinking of grounding my ride...wat are the effects after grounding?

I did my grounding when the car reached 5K, felt no difference after being done, maybe the car is still new. Grounding done using MyCarr 5-points 8AWG grounding kit and with the help from a person from the old STC forum. Total damage is $40, takes about an hour to complete the job.

If you wanted to try grounding, you may want to take following options into consideration:

- If you are a DIY person, you can buy the MyCarr grounding kit, i can help you copy my grounding setup onto your car.

- Ask someone to do the grounding for you, i have at least 2 contacts which i can pass to you. They are freelancers, one is located near Ginza plaza and the other one is a friend of mine.

- Buy your own cables and connectors, and DIY the setup.

There are alot of places or people who can do grounding at different price range, is up to you to decide which one for your car.

Thanks

Regards

idle always at 800 rpm when nothing happens.

Just this problem for now. [:/]

Logical solution, remove all the plugs and replace with OEM plugs as recommended as per handbook.

If is the spark plugs is giving problems, i dun mind reverting back to OEM plugs.

But do not want to waste the existing spark plugs, which claims to last about 100,000 miles and now the spark plugs only being used for 5K. [:/]

I will change the spark plugs back to OEM first, to monitor problem. If confirmed is the Splitfire spark plugs giving problems, will go back to Autodesigns.

Thanks for all the help.

u may 1 2 check the gap of the spitFIRE plug....cause stock plug gap is 0.8-0.9mm

while spitFIRE is 1.1mm [lipsrsealed]

[jawdrop]

If that's the case, anything the folks at Autodesigns can help to do, if i want to continue to use my current set of spark plugs? If in the first place they know the difference in the gap, why they still go ahead with the installation and claimed that the spark plugs can be used for my car and have installed for quite a few of cars which is the same model as the one i am driving. [:/]

Btw will there be any side effects/damage to the engine if using spark plugs with different gapping?

Apologises for having so much questions.

Thanks [:)]

u may 1 2 check the gap of the spitFIRE plug....cause stock plug gap is 0.8-0.9mm

while spitFIRE is 1.1mm lipsrsealed.gif

Corolla G9 uses 1.1mm gap plugs wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

If is the spark plugs is giving problems, i dun mind reverting back to OEM plugs.

But do not want to waste the existing spark plugs, which claims to last about 100,000 miles and now the spark plugs only being used for 5K. unsure.gif

I will change the spark plugs back to OEM first, to monitor problem. If confirmed is the Splitfire spark plugs giving problems, will go back to Autodesigns.

Thanks for all the help.

remove the plugs & take a good look at it & compare to this site to read your plugs,

http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php

↡ Advertisement