Alfa Romeo

Seven11

Neutral Newbie

So much talk abt Massa more likely to be more agressive in marketing ARomeos (in the expense of leaving Fiats behind)...wondering if any ARomeo's owners here can comment on its performance and especially on its reliability?

I will be tempted to save up more money to get a 156 (or 157?.. or maybe 146 if no enough money) in the next 12 months if Massa is indeed taking a keen interest in selling this car. Reason I asked is because of the bad reviews from friends' friends that the Alfa Romeo is rather crap in reliability and it gives you more headache than the joy and jubilation in owning one.

Can owners comment on ARomeos in general here? THANKS! [:)][:)]

↡ Advertisement

chat with my daddy a while ago regarding AR in general.

"Good car, good handling, abv average power and has it own class" BUT ... "do know how to maintain the car" , "older AR tends to have gaskets and seals problem plus some electrical problems on their boxers, goes the same for current subaru after sometime???"

... "previous AR has some electrical system issues (grounding I suppose) runs reversed of the jap makes" ???? [crazy] "if those problems dun exist, u can get to drive like our old Mazda GT" [:/]

My dad tot I going to change car again (which he dun bother at all) [laugh]

So much talk abt Massa more likely to be more agressive in marketing ARomeos (in the expense of leaving Fiats behind)...wondering if any ARomeo's owners here can comment on its performance and especially on its reliability?

I will be tempted to save up more money to get a 156 (or 157?.. or maybe 146 if no enough money) in the next 12 months if Massa is indeed taking a keen interest in selling this car. Reason I asked is because of the bad reviews from friends' friends that the Alfa Romeo is rather crap in reliability and it gives you more headache than the joy and jubilation in owning one.

Can owners comment on ARomeos in general here? THANKS! [:)][:)]

Hi! there, Seven11,

Most of the things you've heard would probably refer to the older Alfas. Since Fiat took over, the 33, 146 boxer have interior, overheating, poor finishing, starting problems. Which is basically the same as the models before. But, from the last of the RWD, i.e. the 75 twinspark, which currently I'm driving, rust has been generally overcome.

If you speak to an Alfa driver, or someone who has driven one that's borrowed for a while, they will tell you that mechanically, there is nothing wrong with it. As long as it is started and moving, it is a very new experience in driving. One thing that you'd notice is that the engine will just keep on going until it hit the rev-limiter, next is the handling ability, for the price that you pay, I can tell you that no other car has the same feel that you'd get from an Alfa when it goes around the bend. Compare to most cars, all I need to do is to drop a gear or two, no need to step on the brakes, line your car along the line that you'd want to go and then floor the throttle all the way to full-bore.

From 1992 onwards, all Fiat Alfas uses front-wheel drive, 33, 164, 145, 146, 156 and 166, all these cars loses out to the older Alfa models in handling around the bends. Some of them have spend $$$ to upgrade their suspension to improve their handling. Currently, Massa Auto only has the 156 2.0L ts w/Selespeed, 156 2.5L V6 Auto & 6 spd manual, the 145/146 are not sold anymore.

I've renewed the COE for my 75ts for another 10 years, as it is the last Alfa that has the RWD with the De-dion suspension that won the first World Championship for Alfa Romeo.

Give me a call if you want to go for a ride in my 75.

Rgds

Paul Yong

Please visit the AROC-Singapore forum for more views on the AR marque. Any problems will be posted there. You'll also find that we like to bitch about anything, big or small, real or percieved, but we still love our babes!

Why not go for a test drive in the 156 with an open mind? Decide for yourself about it's built quality and handling.

I had never owned an AR before and I also questioned my colleague's wisdom in driving the 33 after I've heard so much negative things about it! He told me, 'warts and all, I still love my 33 as it give's me a lot of driving satisfaction.' He drove his babe until her dying days in year 10.

When my ex-car was approaching year 10, I test drove quite a number of cars but when I test drove the 156, I knew the buck stops there. However, ever skeptical about the famous AR problems, I went to search the net for info and tried to talk to the 156 owners (very few then). My search and queries yields mostly encouraging answers so I decided to plonk in my hard earned cash. So far no regrets! [:)]

My babe's approaching 21months now. So far, touch wood, I haven't had any problems with her, enginewise or Selespeed tranny. My mileage is 48K now. The only major problem I had was a busted oil sump upon landing after launching my babe up in the air in a small road in Malaysia! [shocked] That's due to my over-adventurous driving!

What's more important is that I enjoy driving my babe and I don't care what other people thinks! [:)] I look forward to starting her engine everytime, listening to the musical engine note, redlining her whenever I have the opportunity. At every corner I come across, I will try to sweep her around (of course, after I'd made sure it's safe to do so). I don't mind taking a longer route and I take her to 'no destination' drives across to Malaysia. I do take her to PG track in JB to learn more about her handling characteristics.

The early generation had some Selespeed glitches but were ironed out in later models. Bear in mind that the Selespeed is a robotised manual box where actuators changes the cogs at 50 bar pressures. So it's a wear and tear component which may need replacing later on.

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Woaw, thanks mates for your kind response. I have book marked this page for my future reference. I am considering getting a second hand 156 probably later in the year when my job becomes a bit more stable. The economic uncertainty now is killing any enthusiasm of splurging on cars. I play a lot in the stock market and is quite unstable as well for me.

Honestly, I have never driven a AR, but whenever I see one 156 on the road, like macham see a chio bu lady like that, buay tahan man. I love the look of the 156 and I tell myself before the day I die, I must own one 156 before in my life. Its the terribly good looks of the AR that attracted me... no need test drive, sure like one. Hence more concerned of its reliability. Your comments here and noted and I will digest them...more comments are welcomed!

God, please make my dream come true.

Toto, 4D, Kranji, Star Cruises, SGX, here I comeeeeee......... [;)]

Hi! there, Seven11,

You're one hell of a funny guy. Not many people will have your enthusiam without ever driving an Alfa. Bear in mind that it can be quite addictive when driving an Alfa. By the time comes for you to own an Alfa, you should have at least sat on one, better yet driven one. It's always better if you can get one that belonged to a friend who takes good care of it. Like me, the previous 5 owners of my car are friends who like to keep it in top condition.

I hope this year will be very good for you, then you can get one of this :-

http://www.autonewseurope.com/2002geneva/alfacoupe225.htm

Rgds

Paul Yong

Any one here can tell me how much is a 146 and a 156 (any other AR models?)

Never occured to me before in considering a AR in me & my dad's hunt for a new car... until now no decision yet as we are still taking our own sweet time for something we really like and are really sure of. Saw the SEAT 2 weeks ago at Barcelona - we felt that its slightly too expensive.

Well said. I also eyeing a 156 after test driven one a couple of months back. Cannot sleep lah! Superb handling, powerful engine at a reasonable price. You should test drive lah, after that, that will be no turning back. Sure think of the babe when you eat, drink, s**h.

I MUST HAVE ONE! need to convince the wife though [crazy]

Yah, there's a SC in the pipeline. TC is available too! [:p] No I haven't done anything to the engine yet. Will keep it that way until warranty's over! [;)] Only intake modifications. Had a wonderful sounding Novitec cat-back exhaust system but sadly, parted ways because my wifey said "I can hear your car BEFORE I can see her!"

Anyway, an uprated extractor is on the way. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

I oso want. But have 3 month old Focus :-(

Well said. I also eyeing a 156 after test driven one a couple of months back. Cannot sleep lah! Superb handling, powerful engine at a reasonable price. You should test drive lah, after that, that will be no turning back. Sure think of the babe when you eat, drink, s**h.

I MUST HAVE ONE! need to convince the wife though [crazy]

Neutral Newbie

Cat-back system means the whole works from the cat-converter backwards. In my car, the exhaust system is header--->cat converter--->central tube--->rear muffler. The cat-back system for my car consists of the cantral tube (2.5") and rear muffler. Cat back systems are dedicated system and dyno tested. It's usually a bolt-on system to fit to the original cat converter without the need of welding.

Hope that helps. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

Wooo, learn a new thing today [blush]

The config is a bit diff in by Xsara, Cat -> central box -> rear muffler. I guess there are no cat-back systems for my car, the piping after the cat is welded on rather than bolted on [:/]

Neutral Newbie

Your car has the 3 box config. The 146 has similar configuration as yours, so it's cat-back system consists of the central box, central tube and reat muffler. There's also a straight thru pipe, without the central box. [;)]

BTW the cat-back system for my babe is homologated and TUV approved.

Supersprint has exhaust for your car, I think, but there's no pix. Please see

http://www.supersprint.com/homeuk.htm

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

The exhaust system and no. of mufflers differs from car to car. Here's my brick's setup:

Stock

downpipe > cat > center muffler > tip

Although there's only one muffler, it's HUGE!

Aftermarket

downpipe > race cat > center muffler > rear muffler > 4" tip [shocked][laugh]

The system at the bottom of the pic is for S70. The one on top is for the S40.

Welding is sometimes required even for cat-back systems, not all are bolt on type.

post-3-1015042834_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement