Blow Off Valve recommendations

Precurser

Neutral Newbie

running a turbo car and would like to install a BOV to help aid the turbo. there are so many brands out there and types & i got no idea which are the ones are suitable and good. budget is not an issue here, just want something good for my car.

heard bout the Apexi Twin Chamber BOV that can alter the type of sound released. besides this, what others out there are recommended?

↡ Advertisement

You want very loud BOVs to announce your car's approach? [sly]

You need to get Bovus Maximus. Search for it. HKS ones are not bad with distinctive whistle and GReddy ones are affordable.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

a relatively audible sound will do, don't need to super loud. but i'll check on this bovus maxmimus. my primary choice of a BOV is the efficiency of it, not just the audible pleasure.

i saw the thread with the various sounds of the BOVs, and i don't like the HKS SSQV whistle. a long "whoosh" would be nice, i guess. and are there various types of BOV? plumb-back, etc?

can any type of BOV be retrofitted into a TC car? if it happens to be a continental?

Edited by Precurser

Most conti cars have CBVs or compressor bypass valves. The vent the pressure back into the intake system so there is no audible sound. VW turbo cars and Porshes use CBVs from Bosch. SAAB is another one that uses these as well. Most conti car owners elsewhere who want to keep the silence upgrade to the Porshe ones because they are stronger. CBVs are cheaper because they are just a plastic valve with rubber grommet. Most BOVs are fancy with billet aluminium making them expensive. A CBV can costs as little at 70-80 locally.

(edited)

Yes. The difference is that the BOV vents to the atmosphere, that is why there is a sound. The CBV vents back into the intake muffling the sound.

Yours a conti car? Check with E36UDM. He changed the CBV out of the SAAB 95 of his to a BOV.

Edited by Genie47

running a turbo car and would like to install a BOV to help aid the turbo. there are so many brands out there and types & i got no idea which are the ones are suitable and good. budget is not an issue here, just want something good for my car.

heard bout the Apexi Twin Chamber BOV that can alter the type of sound released. besides this, what others out there are recommended?

GFB Stealth!! its awesome..i am using it now! nod.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Can be adjusted to full recirc also..wink.gif

(edited)
Most conti cars have CBVs or compressor bypass valves. The vent the pressure back into the intake system so there is no audible sound. VW turbo cars and Porshes use CBVs from Bosch. SAAB is another one that uses these as well. Most conti car owners elsewhere who want to keep the silence upgrade to the Porshe ones because they are stronger. CBVs are cheaper because they are just a plastic valve with rubber grommet. Most BOVs are fancy with billet aluminium making them expensive. A CBV can costs as little at 70-80 locally.

VAG cars and their MAF sensors.... [:|] , it's advisable to use DVs (recirculate - no noise) instead of BOVs (vent to air - psst) so as not to screw up or have engine check lights appearing [sweatdrop]

However, there are BOVs in the market now that have both recirculating and vent to air features (GFB Hybrid)

Edited by Lightspeed

A4 1.8T? or the A6? or the TT? [sly]

For VAG cars, it's better to use a DV than a BOV 'cos of the MAF Sensor.

Your car already comes with a stock DV btw.

Many people use Bailey DV30 [gossip]

Servo would recommend the GFB (cos they are the dealer) [:|]

Sad thing about DVs, no sound.

If you want the sound, there are ways to get around the MAF sensor thingy.

Either unplug the sensor [rolleyes] , or get a BOV that can work as a DV as well.

An example would be the GFB Hybrid, half DV, half BOV [;)]

There are of cos other methods too.

Note that using a BOV would increase your fuel consumption if you remove the MAF sensor [;)] But you'll be getting sweet sounds [inlove]

↡ Advertisement