Brakes - Drum versus Disc

Madarmour

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I was quite disappointed that Galant and the new Civic comes with rear drums! [:(]

Edited by Admin
↡ Advertisement

What is important is the brakes works always when needed, whether disc or drum. Anyway for average saloon car the rear drum is more than sufficient to stop the car, it uses about 30% to 40% of the total braking power to stop the car.

Having rear disc may look aggressive and give the impression that the brake chiak but in actual fact, rear drum can do the work just fine.

However, when it come to pull the parking brake on the slope, the drum is one up because u have to really pull you handbrakes hard with rear disc configuration.

I had on a few occasions forgot to release the handbrakes fully and drive off the car not realising until later. Especially on auto trans.

Neutral Newbie

I thought on the rear disc config, there is a small drum for the handbrake only? I did drive with my handbrake up 2 clicks a couple of times, window down still can hear eeeeee but with window up drive for few kms before realizing my goondo mistake! [:p]

Oh, you also ever drive with handbrake on. [sly]

Some euro or italian model may utilise that feature. but for the korean and jap, don't think so, have not seen it, guess they use the disc for hand braking as well.

Cable as a link from driver handbrake handle to the brake piston. Did not really examined closely when I had my rear disc car, it didn't give problem for 5 years so did not study into it. Exactly how it work, not so sure.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Renault new design - hand brake on panel (like old merz E200), when release clutch & pressing the acc. handbrake itself will be auto release, good for manual car starts up to hill. [;)]

Edited by Mondeo

Neutral Newbie

I'm sure rear drums works as well or the manufacturer would be shooting on their foot! [;)] However I believe that discs has superior performance compared to drum especially if the car is a bit heavier.

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Disc/Calipers exhibits less fade after prolonged usage if I'm not wrong [;)]

That's why discs brakes are found on almost all modern car's front axle since most of the braking force is up front. [:)]