Wheel Balance check

Sky8807

After driving for one and quarter year on skoda fabia, did my first wheel rotation and balancing.

It the process found a nail stuck in the middle of my tyre, and had it patch repaired.

Mileage driven was 12,800km only. For info

The front pair went to the rear and the rear pair move forward (tyre rotation). I always recommend balance all four wheels. The punctured repair was done the correct way, that is removed the tyre from the wheel and patch from the inside and then installed back the tyre on the wheel and balance it.

I did mine at Southern tyre along Upper Bukit Timah, Woodland and Bukit Panjang junction. It cost me $40 total. A bit expensive but workmanship was up to my satisfaction.

No problem with steering wheel vibration or whatever, even though the tyres were swapped. IMO not all tyre shop are the same, and the impressive one does not mean the best one.

I once recommended a brother from the toyota section to check it out there, thinking that it was cheap but it turn out a bit expensive also. Don't know whether he reads this part of the forum or not. Wander his vibration cured or not.

If quality work is your primary concern and not price, u can check it out yourself.

↡ Advertisement

Another good shop to do tyre rotation and wheel balance is SouthEast Tyres. I am their loyal customer, have always change my tyres and rotation there.

When you do rotation there, they will do balancing before they fit it back to you car.

Next time you can try them if you like.

There's 2 in fact, one is at Marine Crescent and the other at Kaki Bukit. I usually go to the one at kaki Bukit cause parking is much easier and they open on Sunday as well. Also, Kaki Bukit have N2 gas for your tyre.

Have not use N2 for tyre air so far. Don't find it necessary for our car though.

Maybe, F1 tyre uses N2 and definately aircraft tyres uses N2.

Note down on my PDA on the kaki bukit branch which open on sunday also. [nod]

Neutral Newbie

Meow....... are they using torque wrench to tighten the nuts or free hand??? [:/] Generally, most the shop are using free hand to tighten and they tend to over do [mad] . Any workshop met the followings

1)Without using power tool to tighten and loosen the nuts [laugh]

2)Wash the rim before swapping the wheeels. [laugh]

3)Do the balancing [laugh]

4) Use N2 [laugh]

5)Tighten with torque wrench [laugh]

Any workshop met the above [laugh][:p][laugh][:p][laugh][:p][laugh]

If have tell me [:p]

It must be very Expensive [dizzy]

Having used SE tyre service for like 3 times and been there many times. I hope my reply can make you understand why I like there.

1)Without using power tool to tighten and loosen the nuts

- They use power wrench to loosen the nuts and tighten using hand.

2)Wash the rim before swapping the wheeels.

- Yes they do wash the rims before balancing. Reasonably clean but some spots they will miss.

3)Do the balancing

- Yup, they do

4) Use N2

- Yup they do but only at Kaki Bukit

5)Tighten with torque wrench

Tigten is by hand tools. So that it will not over tighten and in case you have a flat, make it easier for you to change.

Prices - Err.... not very sure. But can give you a breakdown if I remember correctly. I stand to be corrected.

Rotation cum balancing - about 35

N2 for all tyres - also about 35 for 4 tyres.

BUT, if you purchase the tyres from them. They will filled up with N2 already and for every roatation, they will still wash the rims, balance and top up N2. price - less then 30 if I am correct, cannot remember liao.

I will be going down to the Kaki Bukit branch for my rotation very soon. If you are keen you can join me.

Neutral Newbie

Meow.....Thanks Skoda man.....BTW my huby already swapped the rims by himself. But that took him 2 hrs plus [sweatdrop] becos he have to wash and wax the rim before fitted back to the car and also jack up more than 4 times the car. No balancing, N2, torque tool [sweatdrop] He said this should be the last time to change himself but rather pay.

Above workshop [thumbsup] met Neow [laugh] requirement. [nod]

May u give me the full address

thanks u first

Siow laio. I dun know the exact address but I know how to go only.

Tell you what, since I am going down there soon, I will get the full address for you.

Hi Skodaman,

The last time you took me there, I picked up one of Ai Ming's card. So, here's the address for South East Tyre Co.

No. 10 Kaki Bukit Road 1

#01-20 Kaki Bukit Industrial Park

Singapore 416175

Tel: 6844-2288

Fax: 6749-0037

Talk to Tan Ai Ming.

ah... thanks, I am just about to post it as I just got back from my tyre rotation.

I am charged 20 dollars for it, not sure how much will it cost when you didn't buy the tyres from them. My guess is less then 35.

Frankly, too much hard work for me to do rotation myself. I rather pay for this service... haha

Meow, be a good wifey and give your husband a good massage. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Meow.....................................................thank u Skoda man & Octafan for the good infor. [thumbsup][thumbsup] .

Need round will be there rather than [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Hi John, if i remembered your name wrongly then very pai seh.... [lipsrsealed] cos its been a while since we spoke... thanks for your advice then...

yup, found that southern tyres are professional about their work [thumbsup] , prices a bit steep but maybe its my first time so if i go back there subsequently, hopefully the prices will come down with familiarity [laugh] ...

cheers

Hi Nilkz

You remember rightly. [thumbsup]

How is your wheels. Hope it stable and alright.

After recommending u there, I went there to do wheel balancing and tyre repair.

Not cheap, but I will still go there if I need their service in the future.

[:)]

Did my 20K servicing at agent. No qualm about that.

However, told the mechanic that my charging valve cap(metallic) is tighten tight with a small plier to prevent kid and potential thief from loosening by hand power.

Guess what, the next day, when I try to check the tyre pressure, trying to loosen the valve cap, noticed that the whole stem also rotate and air leak while turning it.

no choice, tighten back and go to favourite tyre shop which is near my residence.

Found that the particular valve seal is damage and had to change.

At the same time, rotate and balance all four tyres also. Total costs $25

$20 tyre balance and rotate, $5 for the charge valve stem seal.

After the rotation and testing the tyres for more than about 2 week now,

No vibrations on steering wheel from 0 to 140km and everything in the tyre department is well. I'm satisfied with the job done and sharing with all who reads.

My rating - 8 out of 10. (anything above 5 is good)

Neutral Newbie

People,

Let me share with you about the benefits of using N2. Its not hiao as some of you may put it. N2 is more inert as compared to O2...hence you do not have to pump so regularly. Most people pump air once every week to have constant pressure. I do mine once EVERY 2 months or so......and the leaks' marginal.

Essentially it frees you from checking for leakage......u get constant pressure.....now isnt that benefit worth it ???

[pirate][cool]

↡ Advertisement