Humming Sound

Hoppe

Have been asking around about this in the other thread (thanks soya) but to gather more insights, I will set up this thread. [;)]

Recently, my car is giving out this humming sound (ok at low kmh, and higher kmh) at 60-90kmh. My car is also giving out this klak klak sound if my steering is turned to the extreme. Humming sound gets louder is go on bumps. This humming sound is not so evident if my car is turning right, ie weight distribution more to the right side. It is very obvious if weight distribution is centralized or more towards the left hand side. As such, I suspect that something is wrong with the bushings, shaft, bearing at the left side (front)

My qn is, are both this klak klak, humming sound related?

And what's the difference between bushings, shaft, bearings?

Which one should I change? [confused]

↡ Advertisement

nope, definitely not internal.

Definitely somewhere near the left hand side tyre.

Rotor? Brakes? Bushings? Bearings? Axle?

Dunno....

[:/]

ask experts here first for first hand analysis first mah.

Mechanic will say , change this one, change that one. Don't wanna spend unnecessarily.

Mechanic business is not good these days (due to too many new cars) and hence, they are bound to find ways to increase their sales. [rolleyes]

Hi !

Check your steering wheel for loose signal indicators, bushings, etc. The klak klak sound may be from there.

As to humming, is it mechanical humming or humming of the radio ?

Cheers

Have been asking around about this in the other thread (thanks soya) but to gather more insights, I will set up this thread. [;)]

Recently, my car is giving out this humming sound (ok at low kmh, and higher kmh) at 60-90kmh. My car is also giving out this klak klak sound if my steering is turned to the extreme. Humming sound gets louder is go on bumps. This humming sound is not so evident if my car is turning right, ie weight distribution more to the right side. It is very obvious if weight distribution is centralized or more towards the left hand side. As such, I suspect that something is wrong with the bushings, shaft, bearing at the left side (front)

My qn is, are both this klak klak, humming sound related?

And what's the difference between bushings, shaft, bearings?

Which one should I change? [confused]

Neutral Newbie

klak klak sound when turning to max is usually the CV joint gonez liao. Take a look under the front wheels and see if any of the boots are torn.. or look out for black grease around the back of the wheel.

The humming sound may be caused by the wheel bearings or driveshaft.

For wheel bearing, jack the front wheel up and rotate the wheel. U can feel if the bearings are worn off when you feel some roughness while the wheel is turning...like some restriction.

If you go up a hump and you hear a klak klak, then maybe it's the wheel arm bushing that's worn out.

just my 2 p worth..

"...My qn is, are both this klak klak, humming sound related?.."

nope. the former is CV joint, the latter sounds like wheel bearings. both can cause problem independently and can be replaced likewise.

"..And what's the difference between bushings, shaft, bearings?.."

without being too technical, here's my layman explanation:

i. bushing is the rubber thingy that holds the anti-roll bar to the arms.

ii. driveshaft is the rod thingy that goes from yr crankshaft to the wheels to propel the front wheels.

iii. wheel bearing is the thingy that enables yr wheels to rotate on it's hub.

iv. CV joint is the thingy that keeps the velocity constant between the 2 front wheels when u turn (the outer wheel turns faster than the inner wheel)

Oops! The telltale CLACK CLACK CLACK. Your drive shaft or CVs are gonna go. Get it changed. I have expected this since your car is a COE car.

And yes if you are interested, you have to replace them as a pair. Can't run away from that. Around 130+ for a pair.

Edited by Genie47

hehe...not a matter of interest or not lah!

die die also must change.[sweatdrop]

Anyway, I am gonna change the following :-

(Only left side since right side seems to be ok, confirm, cut & chop by mech).

1) Driveshaft (left only)

2) Bearing (left only)

3) Oil Seal (2 sides)

4) CV (left CV only, right CV changed a year ago only)

Total damage : $300 (incl labour)

good thing next month AWS and bonus month!

But from Jan 05, my maid pay gonna increase!!! knn. [furious]

Edited by Hoppe

Wah! Why you changed only 1 CV? They must go as a pair. The new one will make the old one wear down so much faster. Should have changed both at one go. Now suffer lah!

hehe...not a matter of interest or not lah!

die die also must change.

Anyway, I am gonna change the following :-

(Only left side since right side seems to be ok, confirm, cut & chop by mech).

1) Driveshaft (left only)

2) Bearing (left only)

3) Oil Seal (2 sides)

4) CV (left CV only, right CV changed a year ago only)

Total damage : $300 (incl labour)

=================================

From above I gather you changed your left driveshaft & CV joint. Actually the clack clack sound is the CV joint worn so no need to change driveshaft.

The humming sound sounds like your wheel bearings worn but can also be caused by the tires. Check if the sound is still there after you changed the wheel bearing. If it is, then check your tires if they are old or over-inflated.

There is a possibility the workshop only changed your left CV joint & wheel bearing as things like oil seal for bearings are standard when u change the bearings.

Most important is to change the rubber that covers your CV joints. When they are torn, sand n dirt gets into the CV joint n causes premature wear. Labour charge to change the rubber only is high so get it done when they replace the CV joint as labour charge is already included for the job.

Neutral Newbie

Hi my car is giving out this humming sound (ok at low kmh, and higher kmh) at 60-90kmh, i have tried replacing the bearing and tyre but the huming sound still there. Any expert could advise me as i'm a newbie.

Have you lighten your crank pulley? Humming sound might be from there as aluminum gives a different resonance.

↡ Advertisement