A new tire size calculator

Genie47

Supercharged
1 hour ago, GTO-1 said:

At least to make it productive, if comfort, quietness and cheap are at the top of your list then the f1a5 and ps4's are not the tyres you should be talking about.

there's no 215/50R17 for F1A5, Goodyear only have EfficientGrip for this size...

↡ Advertisement

True enough, I am not a car person. Sorry for asking the stupid 17" rim fir a 18" tyre question.
Sound like I need to go to a reputable tyre shop to get them all change.
Perhaps, the term loss of traction has over described my current issue,  when rear wheel sway a little bit and loss of a bit of grip while driving over a road patches at 70km/hr at a bend, what is the correct term to say? 

By the way, 17" tyre, quiet + comfort + grip, estimated $200-$250 per piece is reasonable price? Quoted by my regular car service center.  Brand ? forgotten, not some brand name that I can remember easily.

38 minutes ago, Kia0042 said:

True enough, I am not a car person. Sorry for asking the stupid 17" rim fir a 18" tyre question.
Perhaps, the term loss of traction has over described my current issue,  when rear wheel sway a little bit and loss of a bit of grip while driving over a road patches at 70km/hr at a bend, what is the correct term to say? 

By the way, 17" tyre, quiet + comfort + grip, estimated $200-$250 per piece is reasonable price? Quoted by my regular car service center.  Brand ? forgotten, not some brand name that I can remember easily.

very very few performance tyres come in 50 profile.

potenza re003 is 1 of them, i advice u to try this 1 if u not really very particular about noise.

and u need to know lost traction on dry road, and on raining days is different issue.

7 hours ago, Kia0042 said:

Asking 3 questions from you guys expert on rims and tyres.

Q1- My 18mths old ride original rims and tires are 215/50/r17 91v. Done 24k+ mileage. I have a problem - loss of traction when running over road patches, especially at speed above 70km/hr along a bend roads. I can feel the rear wheels slipped when I ran over the patches.
I have done alignment, rotation whenever go servicing, it this tires problem or other issue?

Q2- Can I change 18" tires into my existing 17" rim?  

Q3-  Looking for quiet, comfort  and grip tires.  Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric and Michelin PS4 which is quieter and cheaper? 

Your  wheels lost traction when driving over water puddle may not necessarily be worn tyre thread , it could simply be you are driving too fast over a bigger, deeper water puddle. It is the effect of aquaplaning. If your car is rear wheel drive and you like to slap hard most of the time, 24k km can cause significant wear to your thread, did you check against the thread wear indicator on the tyre? 

Answer to q 2 is a no. 

Meantime, it is raining season, drive slowly to be safe. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Kia0042 said:

Nothing to be sorry about. Just be safe on the roads, for yourself and people around you. 

Still doesn't sound safe, what you describe. Sounds like you're not far off oversteer (the rear losing traction), and I would hazard a guess that 90% of drivers wouldn't know how to control an oversteer and would likely loose control.  Heck, even F1 drivers have trouble with unexpected oversteer. 

Perhaps you're driving around a bend too fast? 70kph around a bend might be pretty fast depending how sharp that bend is? 

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Your  wheels lost traction when driving over water puddle may not necessarily be worn tyre thread , it could simply be you are driving too fast over a bigger, deeper water puddle. It is the effect of aquaplaning. If your car is rear wheel drive and you like to slap hard most of the time, 24k km can cause significant wear to your thread, did you check against the thread wear indicator on the tyre? 

Answer to q 2 is a no. 

Meantime, it is raining season, drive slowly to be safe. 

If he's aquaplaning, then the entire traction would be lost and he would have no control whatsoever. Aquaplaning is all or nothing. There isn't a semi-aquaplane. That's because the tyre is traveling over the surface of the water at speed and has no contact to the actual ground, which provides the friction required to turn the car or brake the car.  I suppose you could argue that his tread depth might be too low, to be able to effective clear the water. Who knows. Its a pretty serious problem though. 

Edited by GTO-1

13 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

gb2FNzG.jpg

This is the bend I referred. I travel BKE - KJE via Gali Batu Flyover almost everyday and I have to avoid running over this particular patch (red circle). Never drove above 70km/hr along this stretch of road. 

Anyway, I am going to change my tires this weekend. It has been a while I have not drive above 120km/hr. 
Safety number 1. 

btw... can change to 225/50R17 91V tires (current 215 50r17)  look better with wider tyre. 

Edited by Kia0042

23 hours ago, Kia0042 said:

Asking 3 questions from you guys expert on rims and tyres.

Q1- My 18mths old ride original rims and tires are 215/50/r17 91v. Done 24k+ mileage. I have a problem - loss of traction when running over road patches, especially at speed above 70km/hr along a bend roads. I can feel the rear wheels slipped when I ran over the patches.
I have done alignment, rotation whenever go servicing, it this tires problem or other issue?

Q2- Can I change 18" tires into my existing 17" rim?  

Q3-  Looking for quiet, comfort  and grip tires.  Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric and Michelin PS4 which is quieter and cheaper? 

Q1; I assume you experience it after driving 24+k.  Check your tread depth.  If it is 3mm or below, change your tyre.

Q3: There is a compromise between quiet and grip especially wet grip.  

12 minutes ago, Kia0042 said:

I am using 225/50/17 f1a3 on my car without issue. The stock size was 205/50/17. And my car is lowered slightly on coilover. 

What i am saying is there will not be major issues. Long term effects or minor issues i cannot say for your car.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, Kia0042 said:

Can try Dunlop veuro ve303, they have 215/50r17