Sound Proofing the car

Saaber

Alamak, I did my own soundproofing on my Toyota Harrier. All 4 passenger doors only (triple layered per door).

Managed to turn a tin can into a luxury interior. My radio volume level at 10 already can hear very clearly. 

Cabin feels so quiet you can hear a lot of details in the stereo. 

It is not impossible to DIY. You just need the tools, materials and guts. 

Just import from Alibaba and save some money on upgrading your ride. 

On 7/5/2019 at 9:53 PM, Contipro said:
On 7/5/2019 at 9:43 PM, dsman said:

I soundproofed the same areas as you, with the addition of the dr artex red wind rubber seals at the doors. I did the rubber seals last, and I find them more effective than any of the soundproofing mats that were placed. i did one layer. effect was amazing i did a second layer

http://catalog.drartex.com/redwind-4-doors-20-meters/

how to use this product, can share photo of your application?

Hope you will be more fortunate than me but this causes stickyness after some time and makes irritating sticking sound.

You need to reapply generous amount of wd40 or silicon oil spray that installer uses to ease installation thru stock car rubber tubing ... not sure if it is the powder is solidified with wd40 used during installation.

I am contemplating to remove it especially at driver side as the sticking sound just at your ears can drives me crazy.

Cheers.

PS: Using their 2018 version without aluminium wire

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

On 1/28/2022 at 4:14 PM, homerrichards said:

I am also planning on making mine soundproof. However, it seems a bit expensive. Any recommendation on how can I make it budget-friendly? Thank you!

Will only recommend gao gao 3-4 layer soundproofing floor pan, doors etc. if car got a bit of grunt .. else the weight of these sound proof material will cause yr ride to be sluggish cos they are heavy. 

Helps if your ride got grunt else noise from your strained engine will replace any noise reduction and do expect your FC to increase nevertheless.

Use a combination of closed cell foam help to alleviate this weight but venture with care without going overboard .. those nice stp etc. once stick on will probably stay with your car until scrapped or sold and hope you will not drive a sluggish and/or petrol drinking ride.

Do also consider autofoam especially Jap cars to fill up thin and hollow chassis without weight penalty as it is just a few kgs even with ultimate package .. this alleviates tyres noise being transmitted via suspension onto chassis and cabin.

If you are adventurous, get those cheap aircon pipe insulation foam tubing to bundle them with cable ties and pack them fully into the from side fenders.

Last but not least, get tens of 3M thinsulate to stuff your dashboard behind glove compartment, headunit and speedometer to alleviate engine noise coming from engine bay thru firewall .. typical floor plan soundproofing can only go up below dashboard.

Enjoy and cheers.

PS: There is no cheap or single aftermarketsoundproofing solution of significant effects .. dun get disappointed if you believe there.

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1