Rims Compatibility with Civic

Kelpie

Hi there,

1. I'm wondering whether I could upgrade my default 15" rims and tyres to 16" for my 04 Civic. There is no mention of the car compatibility with 16" except 15" and 14" in the owner manual .

2. How much should I budget for a set of 4 rims and tyres? Being new to changing rims, what should I look for when I shop for them? Which are the mainstream brands from Japan, europe and america?

3. Would 16" provides better road holding and stability at the expense of fuel economy and noises?

Kindly advise and Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

ok....

if i never remember wrong, civic PCD is 4x100.

1. by all means wad size u wan to upgrade to. bigger rims means lower profile tyres. as long the overall rolling circumference in not altered, it wun affect ur ride. and that the fuel consumption is sure to go up wif bigger rim. i seen civic wif 17inch rim oso. nothing special.

2. if u r going for 16", one piece of rim shld cost around $150-$250, depending on the brand and make. tyres oso ranges from $100-$250. mine 205/55R16 dunlop9000 got it at $205 a piece. quite impt to get a good tyres as the tyres is the thing which touches the floor, a betta one means a safer ride.

3. of cos it would provide a more stable ride which improve cornering and handling. fuel consumption is sure to go up. a lower profile tyres means higher air pressure, means a more bumpy ride.

[laugh]

1.In that case to get a decent upgrade, I've to folk out about $1600. I'm wondering whether can I retain the Honda rim cap even when I change to different rims.

2. Should I expect a drastic increase in fuel consumption, even from 15" to 16"? By the way, what is a low profile tyre? Is this something to go with forge/cast and light-weight rims?

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

a lower profile tyre means thinner tyre lo.

be it ur original tyre is 195/65R15

if u upgrade to 16 it shld be maybe 205/45R16

lower profile means a drop from 55 to 45. the thickness. be it the circumference of ur rim and ur tyre..smaller range means thineer tyres (lower profile)

where 195 to 205 is the side where it friction with the floor. thicker width means more grip to the floor.

fuel consumption will rise around maybe 10%....not too much la...

bigger rims means thicker tyre that would match the original size.....

as for ur honda cap....quite hard ba..cos different made of brand rims haf different size in the centre. there might be some rims compatible for honda, which will come with a honda cap of their own. or even u could buy a honda sticker to stick onto the rim cap.

Edited by Ahdi

1. Thank you very much for sharing the information.

2. Someone offered me a set of OZ 16" light-weight rims at $1000. Is this a reasonable price to pay? What should I look out for when choosing a set of rims. With so many brands around, I'm spolit with choices. Brand is not important but I do want to ensure that the new wheels and tyres are safe without compromising on performance and fuel economy.

3. I was also told that a large rims and tyre make U-turn more difficult and pick-up will slow down. Can this be compensated with a set of light-weight wheels? What is then consider light-weight?

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

OZ rims are known to be racing rims. never use them b4. set of 4 pcs of OZ rim, brand new or used? including tyre?

if brand new still ok..if used, should be a bit ex ba.....

of cos lighter wheels would know much affect the ride in temrs of fuel consumption and handling. but as for me, i dun mind a more heavier weight rim which betta handling. fuel consumption wise is sure to suffer, but a light weight one wun affects so much.

din notice this problem. but jus one thing is when u use larger rim, the width of the rim is bigger, thus when u were uncareful, when driving thru crank course, it would be more dangerous to strike the kerb and damage ur rim. it doesn;t affect the turning radius at all. pickup wise is sure to be slower. u can onli choose from 1....

a way to be able to check if u haf clear the kerb is to install a blind spot mirror on ur rear view mirror. it is a concave mirror sticked onto ur side rear view mirror which enables u to look at ur rear wheels thru the mirror. $3.50 a set which i find it rather useful when driving in crank courses like shopping malls carpark and MSCP.

speeds or looks... a bigger rim with a nicer looks will lose power. smaller rim will haf more power but less grip.

1. I was told its new without tyres. Another one offered me a 8kg rim, would 8kg rim be considered light? In your opinion, what is an ideal rim weight in order not to compromise on handling?

2. I guess slight dip in fuel economy is bearable. It seems that my stock 15" rim is about 12kg or so. If change to 8kg 16" rim, my take is it should not worsen fuel economy. My concern is can a lighter weight rim support the heavy car body better than the heavier weight rim?

3. Wah say, a bigger rim may have problem going through crank course. I suppose 15" and 16" are not world apart so hopefully can adjust driving habit without installing extra " eyes". Thank you for the tips.

Regards,

Hi Kelpie,

Which model of the Civic are you driving ? 2001-2004 ES5 ? Your PCD should be 4x100. What is the current size of your rims/tyres now ? 195/60/R15 ?

For 16" rims/tyres, a set can cost around S$1.3K onwards depending on what kind of tyres and rims you are getting.

If the weight of the new rims/tyres are almost the same or lighter than your original ones... then your FC may not suffer that much.

The following are some threads in the RESOURCES folder which you may find useful [just click on them]:

Reviews from our members on the tyres they have tried so far.

Official Tyre Reviews Thread

Some shops you can drop by to take a look at the types of rims and tyres available.

Rims and Tyre Shops

How to read the sidewall of a tyre etc and basically everything about tyres and wheels.

The Wheels and Tyres Bible

Calculating rims/tyre sizes when upsizing

Rims/Tyres Upsizing Calculator

Online sources for rims designs

See how your car looks with different rims

Tire Rack Wheel Selector

You can find more info by doing a search. rolleyes.gif

Cheers tongue.gif

You should be looking at around 7-8kg for 16" rims. Unless you hunt around for lighter ones [eg. forged] but those may cost more. Typical tyre weights should be around 5-8kg each.

Haha... bro the stock rim is is 8kg each, not 12kg lah..... [laugh]

But some 16" rims like OZ or Final Speed will weigh about 6.5-6.8kg each, hence you will get better fuel consumption despite changing to a bigger set of rims.

1. Thank you for the pointers. The problem is there are so many brands and the prices are so competitive. I checked with a few shops and most told me that no point getting expensive rims as they are also made in china, philipines, Thailand and etc.It seems that Taiwanese rims are the "in-things".

2. By the way, ae those multi-pieces rims technically more superior than the one piece rim?

3. Some told me its important to re-balance than to realign the wheels after installation. What do you think?

Regards,

The website that I went only have rim information on the older civic and I assume they are not much different with the current model. Thank you for the correction. In that case, I should be looking at 16" rim that weighs lighter than 8kg.

Regards,

Hi Kelpie,

Go for the design that you like. Most of the rims nowadays are almost the same... popular ones being from Taiwan at the moment.

Multipiece rims will be more expensive. 16" Taiwan rims cost around ~S$160 onwards I believe.

The tyre shops will do the wheel balancing before installing on your car. Wheel alignment has to be done at shops with wheel alignment facilities. You can check out the Wheel Alignment Shops link in the RESOURCES folder.

Places like Stamford Tyres also does wheel alignment if I am not wrong.

Basic Alignment Fundamentals

Wheel Alignment Shops

Alway glad to help bro. Most 16" rims weighs about 6.5-7kg or so, even those Taiwanese brands, but you would want to avoid buying RM rims cos they are a little bit on the heavier side. You can try places like Yap Bros, pxx xxxg, Leong Seng...etc... at the same time, you can also get a trade-in for your present stock rims and tyres..... I traded mine in for about 300bucks.... they are about 8 months old then.....

You can go and check with pxx xxxg at Ang Mo Kio, I was offered that the forged rim 17 inch at the price of $350 per rim and can tradein the old rim and tyres. The rim i mention is about only 6.8Kg only . But the whole set for me will cost about $2000. But i think that it should be much lighter than my stock rim. Present is on 15 inch

Edited by Crv2004

I have a 2012 Honda civic sedan. Tires are 205/55/16. I want to get new rims. 

My questions is what rims are they compatible with my civic? Are they specific to Honda or what other vehicle rims will work?

I have a 2012 Honda civic sedan. Tires are 205/55/16. I want to get new rims.

My questions is what rims are they compatible with my civic? Are they specific to Honda or what other vehicle rims will work?

Generally when you quote your car make and model to most of the workshops outside, they should be able to advice you on the available rims that will best fit your car. Bear in mind that the rims will also affect your available Tyre profile choices.
↡ Advertisement