Different brands of tyres on a single car

Mojo

Neutral Newbie

hi there !

Just discovered that the front/rear left tyres of my 2002 Renault Classic are nearly botak on the side. But the right set is still quite good. Is it possible to keep the 2 good ones and use as the rear wheels while I get 2 new (diff brands) ones for the front?

Please advise. Current set is Continental EcoContact while i'm thinking of getting 2 new BridgeStone GR80.

appreciate if anyone know of good lobangs for the wheels too.

Thanks !

↡ Advertisement

AS far as possible, change a pair. No harm having different types, but they MUST be the same.... on each side, ie, front BOTH same, back BOTH samewink.gif

(edited)

is it safe or alright to run on different models or tyres for a rwd? im asking because sometimes or maybe there is a need to just replace 1 tyre

Edited by Wpower

Internal Moderator

is it safe or alright to run on different models or tyres for a rwd? im asking because sometimes or maybe there is a need to just replace 1 tyre

Merged your topic. Please continue the discussion here.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Best is to replace 2 at the same time, cos the other side tyre already run a few km and worn out some rubber liao. If replace just 1 tyre, it may be unbalanced for the new and old tyre on the same axle.

Best is to replace 2 at the same time, cos the other side tyre already run a few km and worn out some rubber liao. If replace just 1 tyre, it may be unbalanced for the new and old tyre on the same axle.

i have the goodyear f1a2 and 1 sidewall tear. so looking to replace it soon but used ones hard to come by. now im concern whether can mix brands

(edited)

It is strange that your left wheels (front & back) are near botak while the right ones are fine. I suggest you check for alignment issue. The usual wear and tear pattern is the front ones are the same, and back ones are the same.

As for tyres, as previous posters said, change to same brand is best, and put them at the back. The reason for same brand is that the "grip" may be different for different brands and will cause you problem during steering. And yes, you can put the 2 good ones you have in front.

Don't save on tyres, change when you need to, because you depend on them to keep you safe in times of emergency!

Edited by rocknroll

It is strange that your left wheels (front & back) are near botak while the right ones are fine. I suggest you check for alignment issue. The usual wear and tear pattern is the front ones are the same, and back ones are the same.

As for tyres, as previous posters said, change to same brand is best, and put them at the back. The reason for same brand is that the "grip" may be different for different brands and will cause you problem during steering. And yes, you can put the 2 good ones you have in front.

Don't save on tyres, change when you need to, because you depend on them to keep you safe in times of emergency!

actually is rub kerb on 1 side. so small portion tear.

new f1a2 not cheap for my tyre size [sweatdrop]

Supercharged

i have the goodyear f1a2 and 1 sidewall tear. so looking to replace it soon but used ones hard to come by. now im concern whether can mix brands

It is not advisable to mix brands or mix tyre model (within the same brand), on the same axle.

It is also not advisable to buy used tyres.

If you just wanna change 1 tyre, then suggest you buy 2 new tyres, trade-in the better tyre with the WS. This way you can have 2 same new tyres on the same axle, at the same time can offset some cost from the trade-in.

No, applies to all drivetrains.

i see

It is not advisable to mix brands or mix tyre model (within the same brand), on the same axle.

If you just wanna change 1 tyre, then suggest you buy 2 new tyres, trade-in the better tyre with the WS. This way you can have 2 same new tyres on the same axle, at the same time can offset some cost from the trade-in.

i have seen beemers doing that

sounds like a better option. its been a while since i went shopping for tyres.

ideally run all 4 SAME type of tyre at all time

technically can run 2 pairs of 2 types of tyre

no choice ly can run diff tyre on same drive axle

desperately run all 4 diff type of tyre can also

• Praise 1

had a workshop car once, the altis cant go more than 70kmh, from 50-70 takes 30 secs...i think maybe 60bhp at max, and all 4 botak different tyres

had fun doing ebrake and donut with it in empty carpark

ideally run all 4 SAME type of tyre at all time

technically can run 2 pairs of 2 types of tyre

no choice ly can run diff tyre on same drive axle

desperately run all 4 diff type of tyre can also

Addon:

L L Suck Thumb can engrave tyre thread yourself if extremely low on budget.

Hypersonic

One way is put the good one in the boot as a spare and buy 2 more new ones.

:D