Attention to all subaru impreza 1.6TS driver

Fabientan

I myself a 1.6TS drive. i bought my car in 04. i did ot make any changes to the car yet. i am experience wind noise at around 120km/h izzit normal. i suspect there's problem in the sound insulation system of the car. i looked around the car and discovered that the rubber in between the glass window and the frame of the car seems to be whitish and stretchy. Seems that it have start to deteriotate. Is it normal? all the 1.6TS out there with the stock rim and tyre(michelin energy XH-1) do you find that this tyre is extremely noisy. mine is exceptionally noisy can you all give me your view? Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

With regards to the rubber, I only notice it to be a bit "crack-ly" & every time I wash the car, somehow water goes in. Scratched my head & wondered if it was due to the fact that TS doesn't have the metal frame like other cars. My TS is the first car I have driven that doesn't have the metal frame. So not sure what is "normal." Haven't noticed any wind leaking sound. tongue.gif But I do notice some window vibrating sound from the driver side window. unsure.gif

Can't comment on the rims because am using 17" with Falken Azenis ST 115. These tires are noisy especially when ground is wet. Am used to it because I used Bridgestone previously & also so noisy. Was told that is one of the characteristics of these all weather tires. sunny.gif

i think i must complain about the rubber thingy the next time i go for servicing. i also notice that water do get in, the vibration of glass also got to get them to do something about it.

thinking of changing the sport rims to 17 inch but afraid it would increase the fuel consumption drastically.

how is you fuel consumption like? manual or auto

no window frame = more road noise cos poorer sound insulation

performance tyres are ever quiet oso loh.

u gain some, u lose some

i oso using stock rims n tyres,

prob i got used to e noisy tyres from my previous ride,

rather sacrifice noisy than tyre handling.

The noise level is higher. look at the big grooves. Kinda tell.

it squeel a lot, in the painted cement car parks... its good enough for me all weather use. It brought me thru tracks sessions, road trips, in rain or shine.. up genting.. and back.. so far so good. time to change a new set after almost 2years of use.

over all cabin noise level i can summarise like this : I can listen to my CDs with volume level 5 (Stock HU) at speed 120kmh.

for just soft background music, level 3 or 4 will be sufficient.

window rubber seal need to maintain to keep it from cracks. Wind noise? a bit only. (that's personal). Wind noise also obvious if it is windy.

yah i am using stock rim. thinking of changing but then this car is already unpowered and has high fuel consumption, so got to think twice before deciding leh.

try doing this next time you wind down your window.

1. When you are winding up the window (before it reach the top), open your door. When the window is fully winded up, close your door.

P.S: check the 'height' of the window.

2. Wind down and up your window without opening the door.

P.S: check the 'height' of the window.

You might observe the following after you have tried step 1 & 2.

By using Step 1, the 'height' of the window is 'higher'. And it helps to prolong the lifespan of the rubber too.

And obiviously, am not asking you to do it while driving. Try doing it when you are coming out of a carpark.

Neutral Newbie

There is a difference with regards to the height when bringing up the window with doors closed vs. opened, it is higher for the latter. But not sure of the rationale behind prolonging the life of the rubber though.