Idemitsu Honda Oil

Chousei

Neutral Newbie

Hi folks, wondering if any expert can tell me if the engine oil (right) is mineral oil? On the bottle I rem seeing the words semi-syn but the website I checked says it's only mineral.

oil1main.jpg

I think I should be using the (left) one but I saw VTEC and I chose the (right) one. Now I'm trying to understand if the (right) is mineral and therefore I need to change at 5000km. Also, can any bro recommend me a workshop that carries this brand - I don't want to keep paying for "extras" if I bring "my own oil".

thankee thankee

↡ Advertisement

Where is the website you went to? The 15W40 on the left is SJ rated. Ditto with the one on the right. Why would you want to use an SJ rated oil on car engines now when the required standard is SL or SM?

Actually both look like dino oil to me. Even if the 10W30 is synthetic, chances are that it has a Group III component. Technically speaking, Group III basestock is highly refined mineral oil to the highest level. The lawyers in big oil companies won the right to call such oil "synthetic". In the eyes of lubrication engineers, it is not.

Neutral Newbie

shocked. araargh.

I can't use SJ oil cos the required standard is SL upwards?

geez... this was a recommended oil for 1000km change from forum bros (bought from Tanly) for Honda engines as it's the OEM Honda Engine Oil - supposedly it's better than the Shell Helix Ultra that Kah Motors uses and cheaper.

I do know Ichishima from Spoon Sports had said in numerous unrelated articles that he feels the best oil for street application is the OEM Honda Oil. (BEST MOTORING VTEC CLUB Vol 1 and other articles, when asked)

So if this oil is not suitable, I'm screwed? What should I change to? dang.

Thanks.

Any oil is good. Do you know that your Honda engine is spec'd to run 20wt oil? Since you bought the oil already. Use the 15W40 for your 1k change. Then use the 10W30 for the next change (I think it is 5k). Then finally for the 10k oil change, get yourself a 20wt oil. Most easily available is Royal Purple 5W20. Check out Zakuii from this forum. He is using the 5W20. Redz uses the RP 10W30 because he frequently travels up the NSH. Choose your oil carefully for the application you use your car for.

Please note that using 15W40 will make your Honda consume a lot of gas. You will have poor FC. Expect it.

What Honda are you driving?

Edited by Genie47

Hi Genie47,

What's the difference in all these different numbers? High no.s for low RPM driving style & low NO.s for high rpm driving style?

High numbers means the oil is very thick. A 15W40 is highly recommended if you have a COE car. Your car is brand new, should be able to use a nice 10W30 first. You can use a 5W30 too if you like but in this weather, a lot people consider 10W30 more shear stable than 5W30. Shear stable means the oil will not lose its grade.

5W20 is at the lowest end for most streetable cars. The oil flows very fast, warms up very fast and offers the best fuel economy. If you do not go tracking and drive the car normally not exceeding 4k RPM daily, this oil gives you the most power and economy.

Hi Genie47,

Did u get a Phd in automobile or something??!! [shocked]

Simply impressed with your knowledge on this subject. No wonder I feel that my car engine is abit 'harsher' after the servicing.

1. Do u think I should change the oil to a thinner oil now like the 5w20?

2. Been hearing many mentioned on Mobil 1 Gold, is this oil really better than shell helix ultra in your opinion?

Any oil is good. Do you know that your Honda engine is spec'd to run 20wt oil? Since you bought the oil already. Use the 15W40 for your 1k change. Then use the 10W30 for the next change (I think it is 5k). Then finally for the 10k oil change, get yourself a 20wt oil. Most easily available is Royal Purple 5W20. Check out Zakuii from this forum. He is using the 5W20. Redz uses the RP 10W30 because he frequently travels up the NSH. Choose your oil carefully for the application you use your car for.

Please note that using 15W40 will make your Honda consume a lot of gas. You will have poor FC. Expect it.

What Honda are you driving?

well said!! yeah ..i'm on 10W30. even after almost reaching 10k usage, i still able to maintain my 11-12km/l om my 1.7L stream [thumbsup] . i tot the FC will drop as the mileage is close to 10k....but, hey...it's good. dun feel sluggish too. wanted to try 5W20....but bought 10W30 for my next 30k km servicing sometime this or next week.

Edited by Redz

Check with Zakuii. He is using the 5W20 on his Stream.

M1 Gold is a 0W40. Cheapest you can find around is $78. It is rated ILSAC GF3 and MB229.3 which means it is for fuel economy and is shear stable respectively. However, reports from the US show that it thins out very fast after 5k miles. Oil savvy ones are avoiding the oil but.....your engine is a Honda! scholar.gif So what if the oil shears down to a 20wt! Your engine is designed to take oil all the way down to a 20wt laugh.gif. Expect the FC to keep improving as you use this oil.

The reason why people are using RP is that retailers like Terence is selling very useful grades like 15W40, 10W40, 10W30, 5W30 and 5W20. Sorry. No 0W40 or 5W40 for RP. If you like these weights, nothing beats cxxxxxe Triple R 5W40 for the price.

"...Hi Genie47, Did u get a Phd in automobile or something??!! shocked.gif ..."

tink instead of omega 3 oil, he drinks cxxxxxe fully syn....laugh.giflaugh.gif

Tks for yur reply but it's a bit too 'chim' for me liao! [sweatdrop]

Can u pls tell me what oil is most fuel economical for my crv? 5w30 or 5w20 or other?

Really appreciate your reply. [thumbsup]

Most fuel economical of course will be the 5W20. Can last 10k but RP is so cheap, most people keep changing it out at 5k. A bit wasteful IMHO.

↡ Advertisement