Suspension bump stops

GDIzen

Neutral Newbie

Anyone here used these before to prevent suspension from bottoming out? or to prevent excessive bounce after passing through humps.

↡ Advertisement

Hi! there, Bimmerfan8,

My car has the bump stops, but then, the springs are separated from the shocks. Check with the shops that sells shocks, they should have it.

Rgds

Paul Yong

i suspect my old celica has them at the rear fixed by previous owner, coz the real suspension is real hard and have short travel.......... he might have fitted it so that the oversized rims/tyres will not hit the body work when there are rear passengers........

will check when i have the chance to jack the car up.........

Cheers

There should be stock bump stops on all cars, usually made of rubber or hard foam. To firm up the suspension bump stops won't help much, firmer springs with heavy duty shocks are more permanent solution.

Neutral Newbie

That was what I was after. I have the shorter springs but do not want to change to the firmer shocks as of yet. I heard that sport shocks designed to work with shorter springs have a shorter travel plus they are firmer as well. That's why I opted for bump stops. Does it work to 'shorten the shock absorber travel' so as to prevent excessive bounce?

In this case I think U want longer bump stops? [confused] Having extra bump stop length may prevent bottoming out but won't rid of "bouncy-ness" as the shocks still have the same (and perhaps insufficient) damping rate.

Using standard twin tube/hydraulic shocks with lower springs are detrimental to the shocks as they remain overly precompressed and the seals may give way sooner than expected.

will add'l or 'larger/longer' 'bum stop' reduce the travel of the spring/shock resulting in the car's suspension having smaller 'up-n-down' movements???......... thanks

LOL....... then your shocks will feel shiok, suspensions will become suspender or girdlers....... (oh, dun forget to sms/call me today for some wheel spins.....)

Neutral Newbie

OK, here's the field report after adding 1 bumpstop to each side. BTW, the brand I used was RAIDhp. Anyone else come across this brand? They seem to carry a lot of stuff for Conti cars.

The car seems to oscillate less after encountering bumps, big or small. the plus side is that the ground clearance has improved as well. Even my other half noticed it. Now I'm gonna jack up the rears to slip one in!! [thumbsup]