New Aveo owners: Oil changes, break-in and grade

Genie47

OK I have been receiving so many PM regarding what is said in the title, I will explain and make this sticky.

Upon receiving your new Aveo, you will be entitled 3 free servicing. Please note that the servicing labor is free but the engine oil is not. SA will supply the oil and you have to pay for it.

The 3 free servicing mileage are 1k km, 5k km, 10k km. You will forfeit the free servicing if you don't return at the specified intervals.

SA will use Mobil Super S 15W50 for all the servicing. It costs $51.50/4L. I do not know what the factory fill is but it does not matter.

Some have asked if they can use synthetic oil for all the servicing. You can actually but because synthetic oil is usually very expensive and draining it too early is terrible waste of money and oil.

That being said, I don't think Mobil Super S is that great either. At that price for 4L and it is a blended oil! Blended meaning it is semi-synthetic, a mixture of mineral oil and synthetic oil.

So what oil should you use? I would recommend any oil that is cheap at up to the 40wt grade. When I say 40wt, I mean any oil that is 0W40, 5W40, 10W40 or 15W40. As long as it is cheap because of the short change intervals encountered.

For those who missed the boat, cxxxxxe Triple R Fully Synthetic 5W40 at the offer price of $29.90 is unbeatable. That is why I keep encouraging you all to get it when Carrefour puts it on the discount shelf. It is 5L per bottle and if you do your math right, you can buy enough for oil changes until 20k km. Aveo uses 4qt of oil not 4L. That is around 3.75L per change.

Another good candidate is Castrol GTX 15W40. At $32/4L bottle, better than Super S and reputedly have more detergents.

Another 15W40 that should not be overlooked if you frequently go to JB to get petrol is Caltex Delo 400 15W40. I know it is used for diesel engines but it also can be used for petrol engines. At MYR60/5L bottle, it is the cheapest you can get but it is the thickest of all the candidates here. The losses in the fuel economy department is very high but it will keep your engine very clean and have loads of antiwear additives.

Next is Conoco Hydroclear Super All-Season Gold 10W40 at $30/4L bottle. You can get this from Yung Soon Auto Supply at Upper Weld Road near to where Song Yi is (Song Yi is very important when you drive a Chevy). This oil is uses a hydrocracked base. Very highly refined stuff instead of the neither here nor there sh1t called Super S.

Royal Purple is another candidate. At $38 for 4qt, it is cheap and it is synthetic though I would say a bit wasteful to use it. Makes sure it is either the 10W40 or 15W40. Both are available.

0W40 oil is 100% fully synthetic and the only famous one is Mobil 1 Gold with Supersyn. If you are that rich to drain out this oil with less than 15k km intervals, you shouldn't be driving an Aveo. BP Visco 7000 is the other one and it costs about the same as the Mobil 1 Gold. You can't get it cheaper than $51.50.

Finally how long for the break-in process. Don't mean to scare you but it takes as long as 25k km. You cannot rush it and neither will it be prolonged. Just drive normally as you normally do. No need to drive like a slow turtle and driving fast like a race driver will not speed it up.

Finally, after the break-in with all these cheap oil what oil should I use at the 30k km servicing? Any 30wt oil will do. Just look for 0W30, 5W30 or 10W30. You will then start to enjoy the fruits of a more rev happy engine and in many cases with speed discipline, better fuel economy.

Now if you cannot take all these losses in the fuel economy department, go get 5W30 or 10W30 and start using immediately and don't bother with changes in oil grade to confuse yourself. Unfortunately, the cheap oil with these grades can only be found across the Causeway. For 5W30, there is Conoco Hydroclear Super All-Season Diamond 5W30. You can find them at Projet stations for MYR79. If you know of friends or workshops in Malaysia that service Peroduas, you will find Castrol M-TEC 10W30 that is specifically formulated for them. They can be found with rock bottom bargain prices. However, Castrol has stopped producing M-TEC and instead. Perodua Genuine Oils (PGO) has taken over. http://www.autotrade.com.my/emzine/review/...d=RT.ATC.CAR.PV

See if you can buy PGO oils from our local Perodua stealership. sly.gif

These are not synthetic oil but the Conoco one is very highly refined. After the break-period, you can get more expensive synthetic 30wt oil like Royal Purple (actually still cheap) or Castrol SLX-A3 0W30.

All this advice does not just apply to Aveos. Optras and Vivants can take this course of action as well.

Edited by Genie47
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Lucky I heed your advice and got the cxxxxxe Triple R Fully Synthetic 5W40 at $29.90 with a free windscreen wash... Now selling at $49.90.

Did you read the above at all? If you don't want to go through all the different grade changes, you can go straight for 5W30 or 10W30. As long as it is cheap, it is OK because our drain intervals are around 10k. No point getting oil that can go for very long drains.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks,

actually I am quite lazy to go through the different grade change.

also my milege is low.

Hope to see so improvement in FC after oil change.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

here's another stupid qn from me:

when going for 1 K service, you can bring your own oil instead of using their's? will they charge for the oil change as i am not using their's?

from reading Genie's posting, i would prefer to get other brands, cheaper and some are fully Synthetic.

lastly, anyone know of lobangs of the oil that genie mentioned?

Edited by Benson

Neutral Newbie

hmmmm interesting...

coz i thought service labor is free during the 3X service?

that means whatever oil i purchase need to factor in the $8plus service charge...

Turbocharged

genie...i was looking ard for engine oil jus now n saw dis castrol 15w40.it's premium blended oil.i forgot wat de name is.is it ok to use it?1k servicing.de price is $26. one more is magnatec.10w40.de uncle say fully syn.a bit ex though.$45.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

during 1st 3 servcing, they change oil filter oso. thus..gota pay....ard $10.

labour is free.

Edited by Ah_veo
↡ Advertisement