Torque wrench hunt

Genie47

OK, I decided to go looking for one. I went to some local hardware stores. They do stock the Taiwan ones but many of them keep telling me not to get them. The calibrations look very dubious because there is no certificate. All the hardware shop uncles say if you are serious and want insurance from proper calibration, don't get Taiwan ones.

What they recommend? Over the top in price ones like Britool or Armstrong. For a simple one that has a range from 6Nm to 33Nm is $165 for a Britool. The Armstrong one is worse and I will not mention anymore for fear of having your jaws drop onto your keyboard.

So what about eBay? US ones are good. I've been spying on eBay and the DIY torque wrenches for simple jobs like oil sump drain plug to spark plugs with 3/8" drive can be bought at USD5-16 lowest but the shipping even within continental USA is around USD15 making the total cost around USD60. So you can imagine the shipping from the US to here. Most are manufactured in the US and have calibration certificates to meet Federal standards.

All-in-all, if you get one from eBay, they should cost less than a Britool that is sold locally.

But of course, nothing beats the shear joy of owning a Britool or an Armstrong. wink.gif

↡ Advertisement

Torque wrench lah! No torque wrench costs as low as RM7.90! I suggest you go to eBay and search "torque wrench". These things are micrometer style and you adjust the torque you need so that you don't wear out the threads of whatever you are trying to install.

OK if you think this thing is too expensive for you, it is one of the best investments you can get if you are an MSCP mechanic.

1. Spark plugs need torque requirements so that you don't ruin the threads.

2. Oil sump plug if you still have one around assuming you don't trust the Fumoto valve.

3. Wheel nuts need proper torque application. You also don't want to ruin the threads.

For automotive use the torque wrench should be ranged about 10 to 100 ft.lbf ( sorry I use ft.lbf as I am used to that unit). Britool wrenches are of a lousy quality although it is made in UK and they only can only crank clockwise.

If you are serious, buy a Snap-On torque wrench from retailer like All-Tools or the distributor at Tagore Lane. But it is likely you will need two wrenches as Snap-On are made from 200 in.lbf for the smaller unit to 100ft.lbf for the larger one.So to cover the ranges completely you will likely need two wrenches. This is a top quality wrench and will last you a life time if you take good care of it.

Cheers.

(edited)

I was thinking of a one size fits all with a range from 10-150ft-lbs based on these requirements:

Wheel nuts: 13" needs 50-65ft-lbs, 14-16" needs 90-120ft-lbs

Spark plugs: 25-32ft-lbs

Oil sump plug: around 30ft-lbs

The hunt goes on. Seems like eBay is the best source. BTW, I don't intend to use a torque wrench to remove things. So going one direction (clockwise) is fine.

Edited by Genie47

Supercharged

Try this place:

Motherland Hardware Electronic

Blk 88, Zion Rd

#01-103, Convent Gdn

Singapore 160088

Phone : (65-) 67374273

There's another branch in a HDB block in Sin Ming Rd (near LTA). Bought the hose connector for my crankcase breather and other DIY stuff there.

Supercharged

No lah! Not those manned by one tired Ah Pek in semi-retirement. They have a very wide range; customers include contractors, etc. Got LED torches too.

↡ Advertisement