Tyre options for 14" rim?

Patcheon

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I experience a small skid(aquaplaning) last weekend while making the turn from KJE to BKE southbound during heavy rain. [sweatdrop] Speed about 50km/h. My current tyres is a set of 2 years old 185/65/14 Yokohama Aspec A300 with mileage of 28000 to 30000km. Think it is about time to change a new set of rubber though there is still about 3 to 5mm left before reaching the threadwear marker. Anyone can recommend which tires are good in terms of wet/dry grip. Noise is not so much a concern over safty. One candidate considered is the Bridgestone potenza GIII. Any other recommendations of other brands/models with 14" size available locally? Had no wish to upgrade the rims as ride is 5 years old already. Thanks in advance. [:)]

Edited by Patcheon
↡ Advertisement

G3 has good grip but noisy. Good alternative is Bridgestone Turanza GR80 - not so noisy, but still decent dry/wet grip. Used to cost ard $80+ for 185/65/14 size, but heard price has gone up recently.

falken ZE512, abit noisy but aqua planing is better cos of deeper grooves. n rim protector as well.

too bad, european tires hardly support 14inch, otherwise would b Pilot Sports or Eagle F1 liaoz. ok lah, they beri expensive also.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks all for the replies. Seems like there are quite a few choices. Is the G3 noise level really bad. I once in a while do make trips up north so if noise is really bad, that's a minus to me. Is also considering of the CDrive and the GR80. I thought GR80 only have 15" and above. Is it true that all those v-groves tyres are noisy but offer better grip? Sorry for the ignorance but which brands are "512/preceda/cpc" under? Thanks

v groove pumps out water to the sides rather than behind, definitely better in wet

falken 512, michelin preceda, continental premium contact

if u go up north go for something v groove for better grip like eagle f1/yoko es100

i done 160 with es100 (dry) and 120(wet)b4, definitely ok

Neutral Newbie

Your tyre size 185/65/R14. Again, If your ride is already 5 years old,

changing new tyres may not be good enough.

Suggest you have your 4 shock absorbers changed as well.

Tyre can consider 195/60/R14. Overall dia is the same as 185/65/R14

Neutral Newbie

if u r heading up north..think es100 will be better choice..

as for g3..

had this experience...tyre screech oni when u go off the limit... scared til face turn white [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

c-drive wear off quite fast..used oni 5 month..liao liao now change back to bf goodrich g-force sport..gooder but noisy

maybe u can try d pirelli dragon...heard not bad

Edited by Timoec

That's right. For 14 inches, the variety of tyre selection is extremely limited if you are into performance.

If one should want the max performance out of his tyres, getting a 16" will be good. Most performance tyres at least will start from 15"

Thus, for 14", i will recommend the Potenza GIII. It's not too heavy but yet the performance is not too bad.

Used to run on 14" thus did some light research on tyre availability.

Neutral Newbie

If u decide on GR-80, there is offer at Autobacs.

Cost=$78/pc incl nitrogen gas fill, free rotation and free puntured service till yr tyres are changed to the next set

The price is incl of GST.