Air-Con Compressor Spoilt

Chucky88

I think the advice my SA gave was based on the assumption that Singapore weather is so hot that if you set the temp to the lowest, the clutch will be on all the time and thus reduce the wear and tear of it turning on and off too often.

And since the life span of the compressor is usually longer than the clutch, even if you turn it on all the time when you drive, the compressor will still last for quite a bit. He said the clutch will usually wear out around the 3rd to 4th year in Singapore as most people will set the temp to around 25C.

Of course as you have mentioned, the FC is going to be the problem. Come to think of it, no wonder I keep getting 7km/L most of the time.

↡ Advertisement

Mine also has no ac vent at the back. I just tilt the front vents up & to the side & center so the cold air doesen't blow on me & the temp kinda balances out throughout the whole car.

If no ac in afternoon, if u open the window, u also get alot of dust & smoke from those buses & trucks choking you. Especially when moving off from the traffic lights.

I had a different advice from my SA when I sent my car in for air-con clutch replacement. He told me to set the temp to the lowest to avoid the clutch to turn on and off. Since the clutch will turn on when the car temp is higher than the preset temp and will automatically turn off when it reaches the preset temp. This on/off action will wear the clutch out fast. In order to minimize this, his advice is to set the temp at the lowest so the clutch does not have to work so hard. I just use the fan speed to control the air flow.

One problem on this is that the compressor will be on all the time when your car is turn on so at the end the air-con clutch might be okay but the compressor might wear out sooner. unimpressed.gif

on those older cars that do not have automatic aircon control, the aircon compressor will freeze up and it will damaged the compressor especially when you do long distance driving in the NS H/W sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Mine is a 4.5 yr old car and the air-con is the automatic climate control type. I have replaced the clutch two years ago. Paid $500+ for it. The SA told me the compressor + clutch will costs around $1,300+labour. sweatdrop.gif Hope the compressor can last for another 6 months or so. I plan to change car before it gets to 5-yr. (fingers crossed)

I'm sure there are re-con type which is cheaper and shoud able to last you for another 5 years at least, on my previous Alfa 33, the re-con lasted almost 6 yrs when the car was scraped nod.gifnod.gif

clutch with labour outside shd be around $300-$400.

Compressor u can get a recon for $300 or less (Markcool)

My Volvo S60 recon parts are not that easy to find. Hopefully, I don't need to change anything before I change my car.

You are right. I should be able to get it done cheaper. The price I listed was from SM. I have since moved away from them and find other workshops.

hv u tot of buying ur own compressor directly n get the aircon guy to fix for u?

i did tat years back. the showroom shop (marked pxx xxxg) is at burlington square) direct opp sim lim square. told them i am a mech when questioned. speaking the hokkien. dress code in t-shirt / jean. talk talk abit, cut cut etc den pay and collect in $$ receipt marked cash terms. but impt hor, dun park ur car in front of them den tell them u mechanic. even a blind man can see thru the act.

I wish I had known this place before. For the past year, I have a workshop taking care of the car and I guess they are getting their stuff there also. Oh well, I don't mind pay slightly more as people need to make a living but the way SM charge the parts, they are really making a killing. Not to mention their labour rate sweatdrop.gif

You are right. I should be able to get it done cheaper. The price I listed was from SM. I have since moved away from them and find other workshops.

Smart move. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Hi hi,.... just an update. went to Mark-Cool yesterday.

Bcos my air-con goes on strike at his own time, so when i went there yesterday, it was working. so they can't really detect what could be the fault. but checked a few cables for me, inside engine bay and inside the dashboard. then re-do and reconnect a paralle cable. All in all, charged me $2.00

But they ask me to go back if the air-con goes on strike again so that they can detect the actual prob. (assume'g the cables is not at fault.)

Then 1 of them say my compressor might be "asking for money" soon aldy, cos a bit noisy liao. casually asked him how much for a re-con one, he say about $180 can liao (include labour.)

good to hear ur car back in working order.

$180...hmmm....guess if u do lots of things...maybe lower in price

Great. Only $2.00 for a temporary soloution. They charge very reasonable.

$180 for 2nd hand compressor. What car u driving???

BTW, my compressor lasted several months after starting to make unhappy noises B4 it broke down. Just use till it's broke then change lah.

Neutral Newbie

heehee... yah, just $2.00. i was rather surprise... with so much work, testing, go under the dashboard, check every cables,.... yet only charge me $2.00

me driving a COE proton saga. i think the compressor may be less than $180 lah. when it broke down then see how lor.

↡ Advertisement