Brake rotors

Seven11

Neutral Newbie

Was told that keeping my foot firm on the brake when the car has stopped will cause the rotor to heat up and eventually cause the rotor to warp! I thought that was quite an exaggerated statement, even though it does make sense.

Anyone here can comment whethet that is bs?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

My opinion is that the statement is only half true. Like that all auto cars will have warped discs liao, as the brakes need to be pressed to keep the car stationary! [;)]

Under normal circumstances the discs shouldn't warp as the temperature will never go high enough.

However under high brake usage conditions, like on ther track or after coming down from Genting, the discs can get very hot and keeping the brakes pressed when the car is stationary for a long period of time may warp the discs. That's why after a track session, never pull the handbrakes.

My $0.02.

Neutral Newbie

Tks Mike for your opinion. Does make a lot of sense. [cool]

You wrote: "That's why after a track session, never pull the handbrakes."... may I know why that is so?

Neutral Newbie

This comment must be taken with a pinch of salt. If heavy e-braking is induced it's true that the rotors may warp from the high braking force and heat generated.

For my brick usually after a hard braking especially to a red light I usually put in neutral and let off the brakes to prevent localized heating on the rotor which MAY cause warpage. [;)]

Since your brick flies, you may need air brakes already! [:p]

I think wat doc means is that after track usage, the brakes would have been really hot and "softer". With a large clamping force on one part of the discs, it may cause the brakes to be warped, though not by such an alarming degree.

Neutral Newbie

Well my brick's brakes did warp under warranty so SM Motors replaced them and gave me larger front discs as well [:)]

As for not pulling handbrake after track use, it's to prevent the handbrake shoes from seizing onto the drum after they cool.

You mean the heat would force them together and when they cool, start fusing together? But wouldnt that sort of cause the rotors to be slightly "deformed" as well?

Neutral Newbie

Handbrakes are usually brake shoes w/drum assembly, so those may seize. For handbrakes using caliper/cable actuation it may cause uneven rotor cooling if engaged after a hard braking session, may lead to warpage as well. [crazy]

well i tink this is in conflict wif the notion of putting the gate shift to N when stopping momentarily, as the frequent shifting bet D and N may shorten lifespan of the auto tranny izzit?

This comment must be taken with a pinch of salt. If heavy e-braking is induced it's true that the rotors may warp from the high braking force and heat generated.

For my brick usually after a hard braking especially to a red light I usually put in neutral and let off the brakes to prevent localized heating on the rotor which MAY cause warpage. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Nope, think about it.....if U come to a gradual stop at a traffic light leave the gear in D. However, I don't think U jam your brakes hard everytime to hit a red light to justify putting the gear in Neutral everytime right?

My point is only at rare occurances when I need to brake hard at traffic lights then I'll put into N while waiting for the light to turn green, not everytime.

Putting into N once a while won't shorten the tranny life much, not changing the ATF on a regular basis is worse! [;)]

tot that the auto tranny is some electro-mechanical servo systems wif some solenoids to engage and disengage. the less u shift, the more reliable they are.

Nope, think about it.....if U come to a gradual stop at a traffic light leave the gear in D. However, I don't think U jam your brakes hard everytime to hit a red light to justify putting the gear in Neutral everytime right?

My point is only at rare occurances when I need to brake hard at traffic lights then I'll put into N while waiting for the light to turn green, not everytime.

Putting into N once a while won't shorten the tranny life much, not changing the ATF on a regular basis is worse! [;)]

Neutral Newbie

The auto tranny is made of plenty of electro magnetic valves with servo actuators, oil galleries, gears, etc.

It can withstand plenty of loads and shocks before going kaput. I bet a few shifting in and out of N and D won't deter the auto tranny from outlasting your car's COE lah [;)]

Imagine if U need to do a tight parallel parking or 5 point turn......how to not shift between N and R? Same principal of once a while doesn't matter much bro [:p]

↡ Advertisement