Hurricane Stainless Steel Filter

Alyc

After the change , i feel that the car feels a bit more power. Better low end .

But fuel sonsumption still the same with the same style of dribing [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Lammy,

Do you have any filter with cross reference to orginal honda air filter part no. 17220PM4003 or K&N part no. E-9071. I'll like to install a hurricane if you have it, my frens install it, produce a very nice "vroom vroom" sound...

seems like the representative is not able to handle much questions here. unable to see any constructive answers here for MCFers.. he know his product or not??

Edited by Geminian1906

Neutral Newbie

what is the filtration efficiency?

what size of particles does it filter out?

Ans: Filtration is 80micron and above.

if you don't use a good filter, than you may have just destroyed your car worth thousands of dollars for a little bit of performance/fuel efficiency with a filter worth about a hundred bucks.

Ans: We compare only stainless steel filter (open pod). The filtration specs is exact to HKS and slightly better than Blitz. Due to the fact that these are the big boys in racing, I'm very certain they know what product they are selling, and the after effect of their product. So far, to what i know, no one has complaint about HKS filter damaging their piston.

An effective air filter blocks/traps harmful microscopic air particles that can cause engine damange and also damage to the combustion chamber.

Ans: If you are very worried about the filtration and not into performance, then stick with paper filter. Why, its a chicken and egg thing, more air introduced, base on the ECU mapping, it give your car a little bit more fuel, hence car performance increased. If little air means little performance.

this question is, can you weave stainless steel thread close enough so that these microscopic dust particles don't go into the engine? what holds the particles in the filter?

Ans: yes you can. The threads are close enough to trap 80microns. I can do better than 80 microns, but you need to pay a little more as the finer the stainless steel mesh, the higher the price goes.

The problem with many oil base filter is that dust and everything tend to be stuck on the filter due to the oil issue. Hurricane is non oil base. The dirt either get stuck on the filter or drop back into the airbox.

basically, how do you know you aren't just buying a wire mesh from a cooker hood (of course, that is for oil, but usually also comes with a fiber filter)?

Ans: Those cooker hood type has a much larger hole.

have you ever heard of a wire mesh HEPA filter?

Ans: Yes. The finer the filter, the more expensive it will be. Adding to this, cotton base filter might not live up to HEPA standard too. Why, cos HEPA mainly for clean rooms.

Hope that I have answer most of your questions.

Neutral Newbie

FYI, your "Jazz" Hurricane filter does fit well onto my AIRWAVE.

ANS: Thanks

I've used K&N in my previous car, and extremely new to yr product i.e. in another word, not very convince + do not see much accolade as compared to K&N. Does your Hurricane Filter c/w any 3rd party test certification and endoresement by any reputable Non-Profit Motoring Body?

ANS: I cannot do comparison directly with K&N or other brands. This is about biz ethic. 3rd party testing cost lots of money. Its always in my mind but due to the high cost, I have shelf it for the time being. You are refering to Dyno test or filtration test? So far, a dyno test is conducted.

I was told that the Wire Mesh will expand when he engine warms up after some time; i.e. thus allowing more air to pass thru for better AFR. Is that TRUE?

Ans: The expansion is very minor. Its probably less than 5%.

BTW, inorder not to damage the engine, what is the minimum allowable (recommended) MIRCON size for air-filter? Any idea?

Ans: If base on other sports based filters, like HKS and Blitz, I would say its about 85-90microns. Anything more than that is a question mark. Why wouldnt big names make the holes bigger?

I must agree that the ease of cleaning has very much improved with Hurricane. However, care must also be exercised; i.e. as one drop and possible dent will jeopadise the overall meshing size[sweatdrop] .

Ans: That goes the same with any oil base filter.

You have a good ride, let me know if you need more information.

Cheers

Lammy

so, your filtration is 80 microns (0.08mm)

" The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) establishes testing standards for automotive air filters. Independent testing of panel and round K&N air filters has confirmed an overall efficiency rating of over 99% when tested using the SAE J726 air filter test code. The test results provide scientific details including particle size, size distribution, testing methodology and results. The overall results establish the superiority of our filters against the

post-6-1128484315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fluffy

i've seen them at Stamford Tyres when i went to the Lok Yang br( Jurong). they also sell the twister CAI there if you're interested

Neutral Newbie

Hi Fluffy,

Thank you for your information. Its really good that you done your studies on filtration. I will not say Hurricane is good nor will I say others are bad. Look at it this way, For the past 4 years I've been on K&N. Everything is OK until the time to wash it. There was no sign of engine damage.

As for stainless steel filter, there are cars using both Blitz and HKS, there are also no sign of damage. I believe there are many drivers out there using Blitz SUS stainless steel filter.

Frankly, if you are worried about engine damage, do stick with standard paper filter or any filters that you think its best for you.

As for WRC, the location where they race is extreme.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all..... i am just curious..... i am usig K&N filter. recently this thought came to my mind... but i dun know how relevent or correct....

ok... there are a lot of aftermarket filters, K&N, Blitz, HKS, Hurricane... etc ..etc..etc... now most of them are saying they are used by racing teams...be it street, WRC...etc etc.... these cars using these aftermarket filter is to have more air going into their engine, and of course without a filter is the best, all the air go in, but the filter is needed to block dust lor, so the engine wont die in the middle of the race mah, so after the race,... or a few races, they might and can just change the engine rite, and replace it with a new one, hence it doesn't really matter how much dirt gets into their engine. but for us normal road user and especially singapore, cannot change engine mah. ...... so... [:)][;)]

paisay paisay.... [blush] just my silly thoughts...

that is why they have professional bodies to test the filtration of their filters.

then again, if i use your logic, then i won't by my shocks from Sachs/bilsteins or fill my car with Mobil 1, etc.

these products are deemed best by the respective racing teams to win competitions cos lots of development goes into these products.

with an informed society, it doesn't mean this person says this product is good, it is good, the specs show the true story.

that is why after all the development some companies top up with a Lifetime Warranty ensuring customers that througout their lifetime, the product will function according to spec. Green gives liftime warranty. K&N give 1,000,000 mile warranty.

if you're intersted in 80 micron stainless steel filter, check this http://www.meshphoto.com/micronic/24X110S.html can buy a roll and distribute among your kakis ! [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

Many Thanks Lammy.

Going thru yr brochure, I am sure going to give K&N filter a miss. The potential clogging of the MAF sensor by oil-based particles is very convincing.

Few more [dizzy] , and require yr help.

1. Where can I find the Dyno Test FULL report? Didn't seet that in yr www.hurricane-

racing.com

2. Is yr hurricane fitration also 85~90 mircon or much more smaller?

3. Is the product manufactured in Singapore, Japan or...?

4. Any quality control & standard in the production process to ensure consistent

mircon size of the filter? What is the mircon +/- tolerances in the production

control?

Kindly [idea] me.

Cheers!

hi geminian1906,

in my opinion, having used K&N, i can tell you that the oil particles do go thru and have clogged my throttle body, so i won't recommend it. Also, for K&N, the rubber seal over flows over about 10-20% of the effective area, so area is reduced. I have thrown my K&N out.

as for Hurricane, 80 microns filtration is pathetic. It is letting anything less than that into the engine, and as we all know that particles less than 20 micron causes the most damage, i can't imagine that a performance filter doesn't even meet these requirements. but it is a "performance" filter and therefore, perhaps it doesn't come with "protection". Anyway, big companies who have spent time and $$ to develop good products usually can back it up with independent testing results, specifications and documentations. They can also support their claims with warranties. I doubt Hurricane can do so.

anyway, if people are so interested, a roll of 80 micron Stainless steel filter mesh costs about USD$2.00 for a 24 X 110 inches square http://www.meshphoto.com/micronic/24X110S.html. cheap stuff, can do a seach on GOOGLE and i've found that such filters were used for water filtration.

my recommendation and to support this, i've purchased a GREEN Performance filter, but waiting for my mod airbox to arrive.

Why Green? because it uses Woven cotton instead of cotton gauze (K&N) and because the filter is more uniform and interwoven, their performance doesn't deteriorate over time (that is why Green backs it up with LIFETIME warranty, instead of 1 million mile warranty-K&N). Also because of the interwoven cotton, oil particles do not come dislodged like K&N (as learnt from my research) and also can filter particle as small as 5 MICRONS, not 80 microns like Hurricane.

besides this, Green uses a special molding technology so no rubber spillage on filter element and the waves/creases of the filter element are parallel to the width (unlike K&N which is parallel to the length) so the filter is more sturdy and stronger.

I want performance, but i don't want performance and sacrifice reliability and harm the engine. Cars are not cheap. I intend to keep mine to stretch it to 10 years if possible, so I won't risk my engine. I've done my research and made an informed decision.

I know Green will give me performance and protection.Green is made in Europe, where claims need to be substantiated.

Edited by Fluffy
↡ Advertisement