Is professional PPS better than DIY PPS?

Finclk

Hi all,

Just like to ask, is outside professionally done PPS(toughseal, 3mendouz shine, GLARE etc) better n longer lasting than self DIY(Klasse, Soft99, Meguairs etc)? I'm getting my car soon and considering this seriously.

Coz paying for $400 to get someone do something which one can do on his own is abit steep. I dun mind the effort needed, although i'm getting a rather big SUV.

My main qn is: Can DIY PPS be as good as professionally done PPS?

Thank you

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Actually, I doubt the longevity of professional PPS. Cos I'm on one of them hehe [lipsrsealed]

Why not consider Zaino? I think Zaino should be cheaper than Glare by quite a margin.

DIY PPS can be as good, if not better than professional PPS. Who else other than yourself would devote more attention and detail to your own ride [:)]

Big SUV.. Grandis? Estima? Odyssey?

How about first time round let the pros do it. After that, then DIY yourself?

I'll be getting the Rx300.

I agree wif you that doing urself will develop a deeper love for the car... hehe. Now i know why girls alwaz complain we guys spend more time with the car.. haha!

Thing is, if i do pro PPS, then I'm technically not supposed to do any other waxing or polishing coz i'll spoil the sealent which the pros have already done? I read something about this somewhere in this forum.

Got a qn, the products which all these pro PPS use, can i get it from other brands? Like Klasse AIO+Sealent Glaze combo? Can Klasse combo or any other combo perform as good as the professional PPS?

I dun mind waxing the car often, 1 a month is fine rite?. I seriously doubt the shine can stay on for so long even with pro PPS. I'm sure some regular touch up needs to be done? I dun have very high requirements for car shine. I'm more for just good shine, protect paint and can last long.

Last qn, where is a good place to see a wide selection of waxes n polishes to choose from? I read that Carrefour, Home Fix has quite a good selection? Any other places in the central area of SG?

Thank you to all!

btw, my car is black... so, think need more work? haha

Neutral Newbie

If you are considering DIY, than make sure you start right with all the right equipment and products. Good quality washing cloth, buffing cloth and applicator. This to make sure you don induce more scratches or swirl onto your car with the wrong 'tools'. As for products, I think you can go to Stamford Tyre outlets which have a wide selection of products. And for Klasse you can give Chuabc a PM to find out more. Maybe a few recommandations for you to consider,

Sealant - Klasse AIO, SG easy to use. NXT darken the colour and wet look. Zaino good shine.

Wax - Soft99 Authentic Gold value for money, S100 easy on easy off, #16 good shine and water beading, #26 darken paint plus wet look.

The above recommandation is my personnal preference and maybe serves as a rough guide line for you. The base line is you have to try out to find out what suits you best. [thumbsup]

Yes, I'm not too keen to pay hundreds of dollars to get it pro PPS yet. At least play around with DIY first, if cannot tahan the long hrs needed, then turn it over to professionals. But even the pro PPS i'm sure can't last that long without any DIY touch up? Any one care to further elaborate on this?

Wah... i see all the names u spout out... lol.. what's NXT, S100 #16, #26??? The rest i know... haha. I've been trying to read up n learn from the pros here. But still alot to digest. Been reading the Autopia webpage too.

Wax is something which goes after the sealent rite? I read in this forum that should wait for the Sealent to cure for at least 12 hrs before applying wax rite? This is to allow the Sealent to bond with the paint first? Quite cheem siah.. but i'm learning.

About the Stamford Tyres outlets.. are u refering to the MEGAMARTS in this link?

http://www.stamfordtyres.com/tpl/tyremart2.html

I can go to any of the outlets to check them out? Thinking of visiting the one at hougang.

For starters thinking of getting the Klasse AIO+SG, then use Soft99 wax for starters... I also need a sponge for normal washing n soaping, applicator pad for applying SG, MF for buffing? Too much stuff to remember, confusing.. but i'll press on n keep learning!

Thanx! =)

Neutral Newbie
I'll be getting the Rx300.

I agree wif you that doing urself will develop a deeper love for the car... hehe. Now i know why girls alwaz complain we guys spend more time with the car.. haha!

Thing is, if i do pro PPS, then I'm technically not supposed to do any other waxing or polishing coz i'll spoil the sealent which the pros have already done? I read something about this somewhere in this forum.

RX300 ah, its so tall, I dunno how to wash the roof!

Its a nice car nevertheless and with black colour, it really is the colour that require a lot of attention.

I have no experience with Klasse but generally I haven't read any bad comments about it so its worth a try IMO [thumbsup] As for availability maybe others can advise you.

I would say once a month is already not quite often. You wouldn't know if your wax has eroded due to different weather conditions. Maybe when you wash car, just look if the water is beading nicely. If it isn't then its time to wax. At least that's how I know when to wax. [nod]

Even with Pro PPS or DIY PPS, regular maintenance is the most important. Especially black car... have to be extra careful. This forum quite a lot of resources.. at first I was also [dizzy] information overload. Yeah and be sure to use proper tools for washing the car/drying the car. Swirl marks are more obvious on dark colour cars~

For all those detailing products, you can try Autobacs @ Bukit Batok off upper Bukit Timah Road or Stamford Tyres megamarts. For ST I know the Lok Yang(Tuas) branch is quite big, really got a wide range of selection there. So have fun getting ready to pamper your RX300 remember to post pics [flowerface]

PS: I recommend Soft99's Authentic Gold wax for good balance in shine and durability.

Neutral Newbie

anyne knows where stock Megairs Gold class wax..been using it for quite some time now but finally the bottle finishing..originally bought it at Carrefour but apparently either now they dun stock or out of stock..tried Autobaccs at Buiki Batok but also did not sell..

anybody knows for sure??

Thanks [thumbsup]

oh...maybe u can ask marcostan (something like this tongue.gif) how he did it on his car...he's driving a dark blue rav 4 and using klasse twins

Neutral Newbie

2 weeks back saw some Gold Class Wax over at Loyang Stamford , dun know still any more around. If you can't find the GC maybe you can try #26 if you like Meguairs product.

Finclk - NXT, #16 & #26 are wax from Meguairs but I think you can't get #16 anymore [:(] and S100 is a German wax cost around $34. If you are new to detailing your car I would suggest you to use S100, very easy to use and does not cause streaking (patchy problem) like some of the other wax. As for Klasse AIO and SG, the key word is apply thin than it will be a easy product to use too. Btw take a look at your message box sent your a PM. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie
Hi all,

Just like to ask, is outside professionally done PPS(toughseal, 3mendouz shine, GLARE etc) better n longer lasting than self DIY(Klasse, Soft99, Meguairs etc)? I'm getting my car soon and considering this seriously.

Coz paying for $400 to get someone do something which one can do on his own is abit steep. I dun mind the effort needed, although i'm getting a rather big SUV.

My main qn is: Can DIY PPS be as good as professionally done PPS?

Thank you

Dear Finclk:

DIY PPS is defintely better than PPS, provided you know what you are doing! (cheaper too) the 3yr and 5yr PPS that you pay $300 to $500 is the biggest rip off known to all car detailers! Ask yourself this question: if the PPS lasts for 3yrs, why do you have to come back every year for re-application? if you are really concern about PPS, the first thing to do is instruct your saleman not to polish or wash your new ride.

Many of of us will not realise this, but 99.9% of all new cars are already damaged by the distributors even before they hand you the keys. after a car comes out of the factory, it's coated with a thick layer of heavy duty wax by the factory to protect the paint from sun, salt, chemicals and other contaminents during shipping by sea. the wax is then removed in Sg, by polish during PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

As you know, the polisher is not only PDIing your car, he has thousands of salesmen screaming at him to expedite because the salesmen have thousands of customers screaming at them. so what you think the polisher is going to do?

well, he's going to find the most heavy duty high pressure water hose and heavy cut polish to remove the wax. you think he's going to change or wash the polishing pad for every new car? imagine using a wire brush...

finally, to hide the act of desecration, he puts a layer of filler to fill the millions of scratches. how many times when we are shown to our new cars, we go like: 'WOW! so beautiful and shiny!" After a few days, when the filler wears out, we discover all the scratches that look like spider webs visible under the sun or white light. all car owners of dark color especially black ones will know what i'm talking about.

so, now the proud owner of a brand 'new' spanking ride decides to go to a car detailer or 'gloom'er for PPS. guess what, it is most likely the same polisher who had mangled your car in the first place! and he probably hasn't change his polishing pad since!

my advise to you is ask around your friends and this forum wrt recommended products and techniques to use for the process of DIY PPS. DIY PPS is very simple, just follow the sequence of wash, wash some more, clay, polish, seal and then wax. you will have lots of exercise and $$$ to take your mate out for fine dinning in your shiny car..just ask him or her not to touch the paint!

kave

Sister,

Seems now I become spokeman for Klasse. Last Saturday just did the demo to my

Ravers' and they all surprise for the ease of use and the result Klasse can

produce. Why my follow Ravers ask for demo, because they need to know why my

ride is always so shine [sweatdrop].

One thing just need to highlight. For me after Klasse Sealant I shall not add

another wax over it. Yes, the wax like Soft99 or S100....etc can add the wet

look. But after you put something over Klasse then you cannot layer the

sealant again. So, if you want to keep layering the Klasse sealant you must

redo the whole proceed. Wash, Clay, AIO then Sealant. Man this is [:/]

Of course, for those like the wet look, they can keep layering the wax say

weekly and they get the protection equally good with only Klasse.

My 2 cents.

MarcosTan

Toyota Rav4 [sunny]

RX300 ah, its so tall, I dunno how to wash the roof!

Its a nice car nevertheless and with black colour, it really is the colour that require a lot of attention.

I have no experience with Klasse but generally I haven't read any bad comments about it so its worth a try IMO [thumbsup] As for availability maybe others can advise you.

I would say once a month is already not quite often. You wouldn't know if your wax has eroded due to different weather conditions. Maybe when you wash car, just look if the water is beading nicely. If it isn't then its time to wax. At least that's how I know when to wax. [nod]

Even with Pro PPS or DIY PPS, regular maintenance is the most important. Especially black car... have to be extra careful. This forum quite a lot of resources.. at first I was also [dizzy] information overload. Yeah and be sure to use proper tools for washing the car/drying the car. Swirl marks are more obvious on dark colour cars~

For all those detailing products, you can try Autobacs @ Bukit Batok off upper Bukit Timah Road or Stamford Tyres megamarts. For ST I know the Lok Yang(Tuas) branch is quite big, really got a wide range of selection there. So have fun getting ready to pamper your RX300 remember to post pics [flowerface]

PS: I recommend Soft99's Authentic Gold wax for good balance in shine and durability.

Thanx thanx for all your valuable input.

I heard the name Autobacs a few times in this forum. May I know which part of BukitBatok is it located at?

Just to confirm:

Sponge is for washing the car with soap

Applicator pad is for waxing, applying sealent

MicroFibre is for hand buffing? and other interior wiping?

How about leather cleaning when using leather spray? MF is sufficient?

Thanks to all lao jiaos here!

[bounce2]

Neutral Newbie
Thanx thanx for all your valuable input.

I heard the name Autobacs a few times in this forum. May I know which part of BukitBatok is it located at?

Just to confirm:

Sponge is for washing the car with soap

Applicator pad is for waxing, applying sealent

MicroFibre is for hand buffing? and other interior wiping?

How about leather cleaning when using leather spray? MF is sufficient?

Hi, I'm also newbie when it comes to detailing [:p]

http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/singapor...masterid=117716

Near Bkt Batok nature park/Upper Bkt Timah Road. Where there's a fire station somewhere there [flowerface]

For me I use MF to buff, another MF to dry the car. Leather cleaning I just use a 'normal cloth' already [laugh]

Ok good luck [wave]

Neutral Newbie
anyne knows where stock Megairs Gold class wax..been using it for quite some time now but finally the bottle finishing..originally bought it at Carrefour but apparently either now they dun stock or out of stock..tried Autobaccs at Buiki Batok but also did not sell..

anybody knows for sure??

Thanks [thumbsup]

Lok Yang Stamford Tyres (Tuas) has a wide range, I think even more stuff than autobacs. Maybe you can try there dude. Or even better call to check!

http://www.stamfordtyres.com/tpl/tyremart_jurong.html

Supercharged

anybody knows for sure??

Thanks [thumbsup]

saw at home-fix DIY at bukit panjang mall. do call n check before u pop over. dun want u to waste yr time n efforts n later [smash][smash] me...... [flowerface]