Motor Oils FAQ

Brock

hello guys,

any idea what grade of engine oil is recommeded for Vios

Does BM provide car manual for Vios? If there's one it should be stated inside. Car manual for every brand n make will state recommended grade.

Depends on what you are looking for - Protection against engine wear or fuel economy.

40wt for protection (5w40, 10w40) or 20wt for best FC (5w20, 0w20).

If you want a balance, go for 30wt (5w30, 10w30), for me I am using 0w30.

hello guys,

any idea what grade of engine oil is recommeded for Vios

Neutral Newbie

Not to worry... 50wt oil just means it is thicker and therefore provides more protection.

But the downside is, you may or may not experienced less power depending on how sensitive you are. For me i do feel the diff when using a 30wt and 40wt oil.

For relatively new car, recommended to use 30wt oil. My current 120K ride still uses 30wt even though would be recommeded to use 40wt. [sweatdrop] cos i still feel my ride very lively when using 30wt oil.

Above is mine opinion...

Depends on what you are looking for - Protection against engine wear or fuel economy.

40wt for protection (5w40, 10w40) or 20wt for best FC (5w20, 0w20).

If you want a balance, go for 30wt (5w30, 10w30), for me I am using 0w30.

It's not true that the thicker the oil the better it is for protection, it got to do with your engine design and application.

For example:

-If your engine call for a w20 oil and you use a w40 or w50 oil, you have to wait awhile for engine warm up(oil thin down) before you can safely move the car. So for those who don't warm-up, just start and go. w20 oil will give better wear results than a w40 oil.

-If you got modify the engine and go tracking, then even if your book call for w20 oil, you should be choosing a thicker grade oil like w40 for this application. Even though you take some time for engine warm-up, the protection will be better at WOT and the high temp it experience.

depending on what car you drive and how you drive it.

my 1.3L jazz can use 20wt oils, but my dad has to use 40-50wt oils for turbocharged engine

If you whack the car often, try to use the manufacturer recommended or a higher weight oil.